PDA

View Full Version : Favorite game worlds

Scotty_ffgamer
12-27-2015, 02:39 AM
So I've been playing through Xenoblade Chronicles, and I forgot just how much I love the design of all the locations in this game. Music does a lot to help set up the atmosphere in these locations too. So good.

Anyways, I was just curious what your favorite video game worlds are to explore, and what is it about them that makes them so good to you? Are they just aesthetically really pleasing? Is the world building great with lots of books or items to find to help build some great lore? Is it just the characters or monsters that make it such a fun place to explore? Discuss!

Colonel Angus
12-27-2015, 03:37 AM
FFXII, Super Mario, DQ8, Street Fighter & FFV.

Actually, most, if not all the FFs.

Ayen
12-27-2015, 04:24 AM
Spira and VIII's world sticks out to me the most. The former because of the world building, the latter because I just like all the different towns, and factions like SeeD, and the military.

I Took the Red Pill
12-27-2015, 07:22 AM
For more vibrant, colorful stuff I really like DQ8, Chrono Cross, and Super Mario Sunshine. For more subdued, gritty styles, Dark Souls and Twilight Princess.

Pike
12-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Tamriel and Azeroth - for the lore, in both cases.

Let's throw in Sanctuary as a fun place to dungeon crawl! :plotting:

Aulayna
12-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Azeroth - for the lore

Let's throw in Sanctuary as a fun place to dungeon crawl! :plotting:

Word. I'd probably add Eorzea and Hyrule to the list. Maybe Spira and Ivalice too.

Pumpkin
12-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Xenoblade, beautiful and large. So many amazing sights

Tales of Vesperia, bright and vibrant

Final Fantasy VIII, so many beautiful and interesting locations

Final Fantasy IX, Great variety and great cities and towns

Eternal Sonata, bright, beautiful, large

Suikoden V, so mnay wonderful water areas

Final Fantasy XIV, beautiful, detailed, alive, large

Ni No Kuni, great aesthetics and very large with good variety

Raistlin
12-29-2015, 02:44 AM
Final Fantasy XII -- one of my favorite games to explore in the FF series. A rich and varied world, and it was fun to just explore each new map. Now if only the treasure chest system wasn't designed by a bipolar sadist.

Suikoden V -- for RPGs with a traditional world map, I haven't played a game where the world felt as large as in SV. It did a great job showing the scope of the world, and it felt like a real adventure. And if we can go over-arching, beyond just what is in the game, then I certainly have to include the whole Suikoden series as my favorite video game world.

starlet
12-29-2015, 04:58 AM
I'm so lost in xenoblade chronicles x in the best way possible, it's glorious.

I am a huge fan of ix in general. Treno seems like a fun place to hang out. X had some really pretty landscapes.

World of warcraft, oof course. Specifically outlands. Well, actually northrend is pretty great too.

Madame Adequate
12-29-2015, 05:23 AM
The Suikoden setting. Tamriel. Ivalice. Spira. Whatever the world(s) the Breath of Fire games is/are called. Azeroth is really fun even though it's dumb af.

Pike
12-29-2015, 06:16 AM
Azeroth is really fun even though it's dumb af.

IT'S BECAUSE THEY GAVE US CUTE ELVES SO NOW WE'LL DEFEND THE WHOLE SHITTY SHEBANG UNTIL THE DAY WE DIE

Spuuky
12-30-2015, 12:22 AM
The question is whether you're talking about level design or setting. They probably mostly result in completely different answers. In terms of settings that haven't been mentioned, Deus Ex is really great.

Leigh
01-04-2016, 12:05 AM
I would totally jump into Monkey Island, Last Action Hero style, and live on Melee Island.

Midgar Mist
01-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Any fantasy world would be ok for me right now
The real world sucks

Scratch that - plonk me in FF9s world any day of the week

Labella
01-06-2016, 09:13 AM
FFVII
Legend of Mana -Multiple worlds in one. Lumina, Gato Grottoes, Lake Kilma n Madora Beach are bae.
Zelda esp OoT n Twilight Princess
Thousand Arms
Shadow of the Colossus
Super Mario Sunshine - A tropical vacation island chain n my own water-jet backpack plz
Super Mario Bros 3 (SNES) World 3

Christmas
04-22-2022, 08:44 AM
Legend of Mana and Skyrim (with Mods).

The mana world is just so adorable and interesting!! Oh the creatures that inhabit it!! :kaoclove:

As for Skyrim, I reshape the world I want it to be or download new ones. It is like I am a God walking amongst mere mortals. And yes, children are killable in my game :bigsmile:

tidus79
04-22-2022, 08:53 AM
I would like to live in Besaid (Spira) ;)