PDA

View Full Version : School Memories

Midgar Mist
12-28-2015, 02:39 AM
I think I will hold off on my own horrifying school memories for now and see what the rest of you wanna say.

Were they good memories or bad memories? I dont mind which. But when i mean school i mean between the ages of 5 and 18 kind of school, rather than college or university.

Ayen
12-28-2015, 02:45 AM
I genuinely enjoyed a lot of the textbooks my mom got to teach me with. Particularly math. I took an interest into China at one point and read more about them. I also remember reading about the incident where Europeans who would later become Canadians burned down the White House. I also got to read Harry Potter as part of mandatory reading, and some times Mom would let me do reports on professional wrestlers that I liked. I had plenty of friends to play with outside, too, so I had plenty of social interactions despite being home schooled.

Galuf
12-28-2015, 02:47 AM
Its weird. I never liked school. But thinking back on it i really miss it. I had really fun times in there. But its sad that the transition between primary and high school i lost friends. But high school i made a few more. Ofcourse the same thing happend when i left high school. But remember those days make me sad. But an odd kind of nice sad. (mostly listening to pokemon music will do that to me now since that was the thing we did back thfn) good times. Not to say there werent any bad times. I just want to be positive for once.

Psychotic
12-28-2015, 08:52 AM
My favourite school memory is setting the classroom clock on fire.

Sephex
12-28-2015, 09:32 AM
There was the time that a school shooting to be was rumored and everyone came to me to either get inside info or plead with me to "pass the word" to people who were supposedly going to carry out the shooting.

There was the time that two buddies of mine and myself shot rubber bands at a girl under the desk (intentionally she was doing it back at us). I guess we hit a certain spot one too many times and...uh...something reacted I'll just say.

There was the time some dude came running in the cafeteria dressed as a band member from Kiss.

There was the time(s) I casually walked to a nearby ice arena to catch my mom skating so I could have her go get me fast food real quick. If you try this these days at my school you'll be accused of terrorism.

There was the time I probably caught my Freshmen science teacher jacking it in the walk in closet. I think he was on a sexline or something. I didn't see anything, but based on his tone and what he said before he realized I was in the main room (showed up early for a final) I can come up with no other conclusion.

There was the time edczxcvbnm and I got separated because we laughed hard at the words "Polo Ponies" while the class was reading The Great Gatsby out loud. We were laughing because we both knew that we were picturing ponies playing water polo without speaking a word to each other. And yes, super EoFF oldbies, this is where we eventually got our name for our "band."

There was the time I had some sort of BS study hall class and whenever I caught up (or decided to goof off) with my work I read tons of expanded universe Star Wars novels. The teacher was cool and she only required that we weren't horsing around and talking too much.

There was the time I had watering duties for Plants and Animals. I accidentally locked myself from the main room and I was stuck in the greenhouse. So I had to walk out into the open in the middle of winter with nothing but a t-shirt and jeans to a door to get security to let me back in the main classroom and unlock the door for me. This was in full view of several classes. The school security person later told me several teachers reported me because kids in class thought I was going to shoot up the school. I forgot to mention my tenure in High School was during the Columbine Shootings (I was a Junior).

There was the time(s) a crush and I wrote each other long "love" notes. She prattled on about her day and I mostly yammered on about video games and music. It never went anywhere for some strange reason.

There was the time(s) I transformed into a demon when badminton was being played in gym. This was the only time I could shoot some sort of cock at a girl and get away with it.

There was the time me and a couple of friends had to see some school counselor because I guess they were worried we got too much grief from students and faculty post Columbine. I sort of talked to the person seriously, but I had a hard time concentrating because edczxcvbnm was busy playing with small DBZ action figures that he got for free for buying a bunch of VHS tapes from [store that I can't remember the name of that is out of business] in the mall. I want to say Sunsoft, but I know that's a video game dev.

There was the time I completely snapped on a girl I briefly dated during lunch because she came over to talk not too long after dumping me for a former friend. She said something that upset me, and I quickly stood up and yelled at her. Think I called her a bitch. One of the deans was nearby and told me to come with him. On the way to the office I did a flyby of why I was angry and to my surprise he let me off with a warning after a mandatory cool down period. Upon recalling this memory I feel bad about it because whatever happened wasn't important and I scared the piss out of my friends, so I can't imagine how she felt.

There was the time my dad showed up to school in a Marilyn Manson shirt not too long after the Principal and Vice Principal had a talk with me a a few of my friends the day after the Columbine Shooting. The talk itself was peaceful and they clearly were just trying to reach out to us rather than persecute us. However, one of the questions they asked was what our parents thought if they knew we went to the Manson show we all went to that just so happened to take place on the same day of the shooting. I stumped them because I told them my dad took me to the show. Dad (when he showed up to school for unrelated reasons) was just messing with the Principal and they had a good talk.

starlet
12-28-2015, 02:05 PM
I dont have many memories of high school because I worked midnight and slept through 1st and 2nd period :D

Zeldy
12-28-2015, 03:17 PM
I was part of the whole alternative dress scene so I had a rather different school experience, so I didn't enjoy it too much. I do miss it though when I look back; our first-world problems.

Shaibana
12-28-2015, 06:16 PM
its all bad.
ive always been the outsider (tho not bullied).
after 'highschool' i got bored as smurf.

i did an education of 'animal care' but its just too broad.
you learn a little bit about everything and it doesnt take you anywhere.
most of my knowledge i got from my internships.
i did 1 year at a dairy farm. i loved it.
then i went to a petting zoo. it bored me so much. its scooping poop all day without a real purpose.
its all cute and stuff but the animals seem to have no purpose at all but being cute.

after that I went to a pigfarm for 2 years. i had alot of fun there. they became my 2nd family and i learned alot.
between those 2 years pigfarm i went 2 months to Sweden to a Huskyfarm.
those were beautifull days <3 sledging through the snow with a pack of dogs. it truely was beautifull and i hope to return there next winter.

i rounded up my aducation and got my diploma

Now im working at a pig farm and im very happy with that.

Ayen
12-28-2015, 07:17 PM
If Shaibana and Snake had a sledging race, who would win?

There was the time that two buddies of mine and myself shot rubber bands at a girl under the desk (intentionally she was doing it back at us). I guess we hit a certain spot one too many times and...uh...something reacted I'll just say.

O_______________________O

I Took the Red Pill
12-28-2015, 07:40 PM
High school was great. A lot of hilarious memories and a lot of stories that get repeated ad nauseum every time we get together and they still never get old. Most of my best friends in the world are buddies from high school. College was awesome too and is responsible in many ways for making me the person I am today. I do look back in shock and a kind of disgust when I think about how much we used to drink in college. Current me would not be able to handle a night out with 19 year old me.

Aulayna
12-28-2015, 08:13 PM
I really enjoyed school. Sure there was petty drama, but looking back at it, it was some of the best times of my life. I say this as a social recluse too.

fat_moogle
12-28-2015, 08:16 PM
My first school memory was from when I was five, and it was my introduction to Reception. I was cowering scared behind my Mum as I was shy, and I was introduced to the class. Then I was asked two questions from two fellow pupils - "Are you made of Chocolate?" & "Are you from Africa?"

I couldn't ask for a better first school memory :D All three of us are still friends and we still laugh about it at times. Ahh, innocence.

SammieBabe
12-28-2015, 08:29 PM
I remember good things and bad. Elementary school was fun, and we got to take occasional field trips to the various theme parks not far from us. Also, when we studied the space program, we could go out on the front lawn of my school, and watch the smoke trails from the shuttles as they launched.
7th grade sucked for various reasons.
High school was good until the end. I was involved in all kinds of activities and got to experience a lot of things.
All in all, I'd say it was more positive than negative.

Mr. Carnelian
12-28-2015, 10:53 PM
I have some fond memories of my primary school, but it wasn't all good. I didn't have many friends, and none of them were good ones. I haven't spoken to any of them since I left.

Things got better in secondary school: I made some great friends and had some really fun times. Some of the memories that really stick in my mind are chatting to Lucas and Jacob during Maths. The teacher left the classroom every couple of minutes for some reason, and every time she did we'd break into conversation.

Sixth form (16-18) was BRILLIANT. 'Study' periods (we all called them 'Free' periods, because we only studied during them when we absolutely had to) were spent lying out on the grass in the sun during summer, and in the computer room watching each other playing horror videogames - like 'Slenderman' - during the winter. The lessons and whatnot were really interesting as well, of course.

Midgar Mist
12-29-2015, 10:11 PM
Carnelian are you going through the timelords in order of regeneration? Thats a pretty good way of changing your avatar :-)

and Sephex, i really dont know what to say, i think you may have gone to school on some kind of astral plane/hell realm.

Psychotic: how did you manage to set a clock on fire lol?

Thank you all for sharing, i dont really want to depress you with the mentally scarring experiences of my own

Sephex
12-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Carnelian are you going through the timelords in order of regeneration? Thats a pretty good way of changing your avatar :-)

and Sephex, i really dont know what to say, i think you may have gone to school on some kind of astral plane/hell realm.

Psychotic: how did you manage to set a clock on fire lol?

Thank you all for sharing, i dont really want to depress you with the mentally scarring experiences of my own

It was the 90s. The 90s were different.

Colonel Angus
12-29-2015, 10:55 PM
I remember after Columbine, our school used metal detectors for the first time. They've actually had them for years, & got some heat from the Mayor's Office because they waited so long to use them. Anyway, about 1/3 of the school was taken aside as they had everything from pocket knives, to lighters & guns on them. One guy in one of my classes got in trouble for having a taser on him. My friend, who carried the box cutter he used for work, got lucky because he was warned ahead of time about it & threw the box cutter into the bushes.

Aulayna
12-29-2015, 11:11 PM
Thankfully, being in the UK, all I had to worry about was the rough playground black-market for Pokemon cards.

Midgar Mist
01-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Thankfully, being in the UK, all I had to worry about was the rough playground black-market for Pokemon cards.

Let's not forget in UK schools that kids can stab you with a compass (maths equip) on a school bus then push you off it mere seconds after it has stopped.

Whoops I wasn't going to say anything!
Oh well....

Formalhaut
01-11-2016, 01:43 AM
Who even uses compasses in school anyway? I can't recall ever using a compass. :-/

Anyway, primary school was good enough. It was a decent build of a primary school with decent enough facilities. I was probably the mark of an average student: I was very attentive and was almost painfully well behaved, but academically I was incredibly average. The Government expected level for literacy, mathematics and science was level 4, and I got 4, 4, 5. I was always slightly better at the sciences. Funnily enough, my classmates always thought of me as rather clever. I've no idea what they got overall, but if they thought of me as one of the top 5 or so of the class, the average for my year must have been somewhat lower.

I don't really remember too many experiences. There was this really weird time during... year four, I think it was? During break one day, one of my acquaintances who I was playing with at the time. We were resting inside these hollow cube structures on the playground, and she propositioned me to play 'pretend sex'. Suffice to say I was taken aback, so I promptly said no and sorta made an excuse to leave. It was beyond strange.

I was actually a very active child; I loved the obstacle course set in breaks; I always made a habit to take over it and go round and round during breaks and I wish there was an adult version available. I did talk with my school friends, and I also enjoyed playing tag. I was a decent, if not spectacular runner, but I did make use of tactically shielding my friends from the catchers by drawing their fire. I was also fairly adept at jump rope, and towards my later time in Primary school picked up football to try and ingratiate myself with the football crowd of my year. I wasn't awesome at it, but I was alright.

But my favourite experience was playing prisoner dodgeball during French lessons. Once a week, our French teacher would take us outside and play prisoner dodgeball (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisonball). It was great fun! There were a few variations (prisoners could only re-enter the game if a ball thrown over by their team, but they could pick up stray balls if the other side spectacularly fumbled) but it was a good, tactical game, and we didn't use hard balls, either.

I moved to a different place at the end of year six, Bournemouth, for my secondary schooling. It's also one of the few councils which still have an 11+ exam, which is usually taken towards the end of year six, but because I wasn't there, I didn't take it. This meant that I was pretty much at the bottom sets of classes and had to work my way up the pecking order, so to speak. I was again a fairly average student overall, but I got up to second top set for English, and second top set for Science. I sort of languished in the bottom of the middle sets for Maths.

It was an all-boys school, which makes it sound posh, but we were in special measures for the last two years, which gives you an indication of the relative quality. I mean, it wasn't terrible. But it could have been a better school.

Year seven went quietly enough, but year eight was when I first exhibited depressive behaviour, which continued and strengthened throughout the year. This rolled over into year nine, and it was only by year ten that I was back to anyway normal. It has affected my outlook, admittedly. My year ten - eleven persona wasn't depressive, as such, but I was far more introverted, and almost adult-like in maturity and outlook. I acted beyond my years, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Still, year ten and eleven was when my results improved substantially. I was definitely a late bloomer in terms of results.

Sixth form was better, and it was at a different school as my secondary . I had a good circle of friends (unfortunately, I only really keep into contact with two of them, I wasn't a core member) and I really excelled myself in participation, getting involved in the student leadership team. I actually formed my second circle of friends with that class, and we always ended up helping the school with whatever event they wanted to host. We were the workforce behind the running of awards evenings, sixth form events, etc. It was a tight knit group, and one I enjoyed.

I also enjoyed my classes, more or less. Forensic Science was... alright. I did get an A* in it, but I can't say I was terribly connected to it. Having said that, I played surrogate teacher many times for my classmates who struggled in the work. I especially enjoyed sociology however. It was never the best taught class, but it really gave me a sense of passion for the subject, and I ended up taking it for University.

Midgar Mist
01-11-2016, 04:14 AM
Your answers are very detailed Formalhaut, I can tell you're a writer. I am too. My degree is in English and Creative Writing and I graduated 10 years ago. And the maths equip you ask? Yes we had those things with the needle points on, we hardly ever used them, we occaisionally drew circles, but I went to high school in the '90s so that might explain a thing or two. I got bullied all the way through school, and I wouldn't want to go too deep into it, not in this forum at least. I've started posting in Timber Maniacs so.....

Shiny
01-11-2016, 05:15 AM
In elementary school we would have a huge series of games outside against each class. Our team/class won one year by winning the very last game: tug of war. We had a lot of strong kids on our team.

During middle school the entire 8th grade built catapults and trebuchets and proceeded to have a giant water fight with the teachers on the school lawn. In high school my favorite memory was shooting a 24 hour horror movie in which we proceeded to trash the entire high school with permission. Blood, dirt and paper were everywhere. We even trashed the Vice Principal's office. We also had archery during gym. I took it for my senior year and a lot of really hilarious and fun things occurred during that class.

During college I had a lot of fond memories, but most of which include stuff too raunchy to talk about here. I also enjoyed being able to go on film sets and seeing that whole process.

Wolf Kanno
01-11-2016, 05:49 AM

Midgar Mist
01-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Well said Kanno :-)

Old Manus
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
I went to a state school in one of the most deprived areas of the country. Funnily enough there isn't much to remember. Lack of funding meant there were zero extra-curricular activities so nobody really had the opportunity to do anything crazy (also because everyone was doped up on various prescribed and non-prescribed drugs). We'd just go there to fulfill legal obligations then go home. The kids didn't give a toss and neither did the teachers.

Crop
01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
School was fun. I have no bad memories of it, but I've enjoyed my life more since I left and have had the freedom to do what I want to do. It's not something I would particularly want to go back to.

EDIT: Also, saying a school was an "all boys school" certainly doesn't make it sound posh in my eyes, my school was all boys too and it was pretty rough. Same with the all girls school in the area.

Midgar Mist
01-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I was always academic minded but, due to my issues I didn't always achieve good results. My reading skill suffered terribly at my negligent primary school, I've had to teach myself the habit of reading which is still not up to the standard of other adults. Don't get me wrong, my vocab is excellent and I'm blessed not to suffer with dyslexia, but my teachers failed to teach me about patience and concentration. I'm still battling this today, and can feel quite inadequate at the side of my peers who are more well read than me. I've truly had to push myself, and ended up with a 2:1 honours degree in literature and writing which basically gives the mental finger to those rotten teachers. I'm very proud of my degree, even if its the only great achievement in my life.

FFNut
01-11-2016, 07:54 PM
I honestly don't remember school at all, if I wasn't fall on my face wasted I was on the ice playing hockey. I really have no memories at all of school outside of grade 7 and down.

Aulayna
01-11-2016, 09:22 PM

Let's not forget in UK schools that kids can stab you with a compass (maths equip) on a school bus then push you off it mere seconds after it has stopped.

Whoops I wasn't going to say anything!
Oh well....

I wouldn't know. We didn't have school buses.

And even then, for all the playground "stabbings" with compasses, it hardly really compares to potentially getting shot.

I was always academic minded but, due to my issues I didn't always achieve good results. My reading skill suffered terribly at my negligent primary school, I've had to teach myself the habit of reading which is still not up to the standard of other adults. Don't get me wrong, my vocab is excellent and I'm blessed not to suffer with dyslexia, but my teachers failed to teach me about patience and concentration. I'm still battling this today, and can feel quite inadequate at the side of my peers who are more well read than me. I've truly had to push myself, and ended up with a 2:1 honours degree in literature and writing which basically gives the mental finger to those rotten teachers. I'm very proud of my degree, even if its the only great achievement in my life.

That's cool. :) Which topic did you do your dissertation on?

Midgar Mist
01-12-2016, 12:37 AM
Yeah I know I just meant not as bad as shooting but worse than Pokemon card wars is all.

I was joint honours so I didn't do a full dissertation. I did do a short one for creative writing where I did a fantasy quest story based on the circles of hell in Dantes Inferno (btw that makes me sound brainer than I actually am.

01-13-2016, 01:14 AM
On my last day of secondary school we stole our teachers sari and set it on fire in the neighbouring park. I also used to steal stuff from our lab sessions and we made thermite in the playground once.

Its weird looking back and remembering how destructive i was, considering I was a quiet, hardworking student for the most part.