PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in ghosts?

Pumpkin
01-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Do you believe in ghosts? I don't really, other than like for my religious reasons.

Fynn
01-10-2016, 05:04 PM
First-hand experience

Formalhaut
01-10-2016, 05:19 PM
First-hand experience

Ooh, do tell!

I've chosen 'unsure'. I do think ghosts are heavily faked rather frequently (just look how many 'ghost hunting' shows there are), but that doesn't necessarily rule out ghosts completely.

I'm open, but I'm healthily sceptical. Having said that, if someone does firmly believe in ghosts/have been a ghost, it does nothing to mock their viewpoint. I find ghost stories exciting anyway.

Fynn
01-10-2016, 05:24 PM
That remark was half-serious, really :p But I have had strange things happen to me. Though truth be told, I also am skeptical and also believe that most popular cases of haunting a are super fake. And whenever something weird happens to me, ghosts are the last thing I'll consider. And yet when you're spending the night home alone and a stereo turns on by itself in a room on the other end of the house, the only other way I could explain this is that I'm an extremely agile sleepwalker (bunk-bed) or that some thief broke into my (11th-floor) apartment only to turn on the stereo :p Then again, I guess this could have something to do with electric power, but who knows? :monster: My point is, just cause I believe in ghosts doesn't mean I'll jump at any opportunity to blame strange stuff on them.

Ayen
01-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Ghosts aren't real :colbert:

-hears strange noises coming from the basement-

:|

escobert
01-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Yes I believe in ghosts. I have had far too many instances in my mothers house to not believe.

Madame Adequate
01-10-2016, 07:24 PM

i'm sorry..........

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 07:27 PM
No. And I hope I'm right. A bunch of invisible sentient things floating around watching be shower and pretend to fight ninjas? No thanks

I do hope that both fairies and reincarnation are real though.

Slothy
01-10-2016, 08:23 PM
If ghosts existed I'd be kind of relieved if they ONLY watched me shower.

Pike
01-10-2016, 08:37 PM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/trail_blazer_88/CH860405.jpg

xplicit802
01-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Yes I believe in ghosts. I have had far too many instances in my mothers house to not believe.

I seen it!

Hollycat
01-11-2016, 06:26 AM
What if they're touching your butt with their ghost hands?

Labella
01-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Always have n always will. Personal experience.

In one of my mum's old family photos u can actually see the 'ghost' clear as day. I would put it up but it is too personal. One of her sister's (my aunty) has her left hand reaching for her right shoulder which is where the ghost is. It is a young boy who had died years ago in the area.

Also I subscribed to this guy's channel because of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYbrlG4BAU
There's a Follow-up video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCy8iWxf1Us) if anyone's interested.

Karifean
01-11-2016, 12:32 PM
I have Endless Nine. No ghosts in my reality.

But ghosts are such an abstract concept. I'm pretty sure there are things we simply cannot perceive (but may still have an effect on our surroundings), for instance. And who's to tell if there are or are no ghosts in worlds outside of ours.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-11-2016, 01:08 PM
What if they're touching your butt with their ghost hands?

Depends. Is it a sexy ghost?

Galuf
01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Yeah i do. No experience or anything i just do. They are one of my worst feaes though. Or used to be. I used to be so paranoid at night. And i couldnt go downstairs till morning. But im allright now. Also my friend used rto live like 10 houses along from me but there is a dark alleyway that leads to a field behind. Whenever i walked past that i had to cover the side of my face. Weird i know. But its gone now mostly.

Watching my sister play Project zero (fatal frame) didnt help none lol

Bubba
01-11-2016, 02:30 PM
I don't know about ghosts as floaty apparitions, but I definitely believe in a spiritual presence. Like Fynn, I have first-hand experience.

I could regale you all if you like?

Mirage
01-11-2016, 04:52 PM
In no way do i believe in ghosts. Having seen things I can't explain doesn't change anything. Argument from ignorance isn't a thing I like doing.

FFNut
01-11-2016, 05:04 PM
I put unsure, growing up I had a friend who said his house was haunted. He would have doors slammed tv and lights would just turn on, things like that. However I always said he was full of it and it only happened once while I was over there and I laughed when he said the ghost. Just never believed in them.

Crop
01-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Not even a little bit. I would absolutely love to experience something supernatural but I never have and I doubt I ever will.

FFNut
01-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Not even a little bit. I would absolutely love to experience something supernatural but I never have and I doubt I ever will.

I never believed eves I did either, my friend claimed he had but I said they are full of it. I don't believe in ghosts.

Aulayna
01-11-2016, 09:42 PM
I do.

Midgar Mist
01-12-2016, 12:29 AM
I don't know about ghosts as floaty apparitions, but I definitely believe in a spiritual presence. Like Fynn, I have first-hand experience.
I could regale you all if you like?

Yes, please do. I'm uncertain about ghosts but my mind is open. I believe aliens have a chance of existing cause of all those stars, but they could just be as dumb as we are. Also my Dad thought he mightve heard a ghost once, he turned around and no one was there!

Ok Bubba, regale us when ready

Mirage
01-12-2016, 12:50 AM
I don't really think believing aliens could exist is in the same category as believing ghosts exist

Raistlin
01-12-2016, 03:06 AM
There are no such thing as ghosts. But the concept is fascinating and as a child I desperately wanted ghosts to be real. I've been on many a ghost tour and haunted house trip, and I went to college at one of the most "haunted" campuses in the US. All for naught, of course. Ghosts do not exist, and cannot unless we quite literally ditch everything we know about physics and chemistry.

Ghost "sightings" or encounters are an interesting peek into human psychology. We have an inherent desire to want to explain everything, and "I have no idea and may never know" is extremely unsatisfying. But for the life of me, I cannot personally understand why people immediately leap to "ghosts." For instance, one day a couple of years ago I heard a strange noise, and walked into my kitchen to see my colander sitting perfectly upright on the floor. I had thought I had washed it and put it away the night before. This stood out to me only because I remember thinking "huh, I bet this sort of thing would cause a lot of people to say 'ghosts did it' or some such nonsense." But it could be my faulty memory; maybe I left it sitting on the counter to dry. And maybe it was perched precariously, or a bug or a draft caused it to unbalance. Maybe I went temporarily insane and knocked it over myself without realizing and/or remembering it. Or maybe a wormhole opened up and some alien force from light years away decided to smurf with me. All of these explanations are more plausible than ghosts.

Why "ghosts"? The idea that unknown sounds or sightings have to be forces from the dead is entirely arbitrary; why couldn't it be virtually anything else? If it has to be pseudo-supernatural, why not gods, demons, pixies, leprechauns, aliens, or invisible pink unicorns? This attribution to mysterious forces beyond the grave is entirely fabricated and arbitrary -- a combination of wishful thinking about the afterlife and ingrained cultural mythology.

Ghosts do present an interesting thought experiment, though. Here's a question: do ghosts have mass? If yes, then the slightest breeze should send them flying. The general idea seems to be that ghosts do not in fact have any mass and are instead made up of something else (left entirely unexplained). But what are the consequences of that? If there is no mass, then the object is not affected by gravity, and nothing to hold the ghost to the Earth. Instead, the ghost should fall through the Earth as the planet hurtles through space around the sun, and we should "see" a constant wave of ghosts in our trail. Of course, the rebuttal to this thought experiment is inevitably some variation of "but magic," which just reinforces the idea that it's all made up to begin with. Where is this mysterious "ghost energy," and why can it interact with our senses while simultaneously being entirely undetectable by objective measurements?

A much more likely cause to ghost "sightings" is simple psychology: we, as human beings, tend to see what we want to see (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias) (or expect to see). And we also have a tendency to remember only strange things that stand out (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias), while disregarding other data. Our brains are strange and unreliable and powerful enough to make us sick (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_psychogenic_illness) or cure us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo), so the idea that it can make someone see something weird that wasn't actually there is entirely unremarkable.

TL;DR: ghosts are cool but not real (or, at least, as equally likely as invisible unicorns).

Madame Adequate
01-12-2016, 04:49 AM
There are some possible explanations for ghosts which would not seem to be less plausible than, say, an alien wormwhole, or going insane in such a precise manner. I mean, a pile of mass, given energy, can have sapience, in the form of humans. Is it totally impossible that energy without mass could?

Granted that none of these things are at all likely and I have no reason to believe in ghosts, and so I do not, but I'm not quite as willing to rule it out as you.

Zanmato
01-12-2016, 03:53 PM
There are no such thing as ghosts. But the concept is fascinating and as a child I desperately wanted ghosts to be real. I've been on many a ghost tour and haunted house trip, and I went to college at one of the most "haunted" campuses in the US. All for naught, of course. Ghosts do not exist, and cannot unless we quite literally ditch everything we know about physics and chemistry.

Ghost "sightings" or encounters are an interesting peek into human psychology. We have an inherent desire to want to explain everything, and "I have no idea and may never know" is extremely unsatisfying. But for the life of me, I cannot personally understand why people immediately leap to "ghosts." For instance, one day a couple of years ago I heard a strange noise, and walked into my kitchen to see my colander sitting perfectly upright on the floor. I had thought I had washed it and put it away the night before. This stood out to me only because I remember thinking "huh, I bet this sort of thing would cause a lot of people to say 'ghosts did it' or some such nonsense." But it could be my faulty memory; maybe I left it sitting on the counter to dry. And maybe it was perched precariously, or a bug or a draft caused it to unbalance. Maybe I went temporarily insane and knocked it over myself without realizing and/or remembering it. Or maybe a wormhole opened up and some alien force from light years away decided to smurf with me. All of these explanations are more plausible than ghosts.

Why "ghosts"? The idea that unknown sounds or sightings have to be forces from the dead is entirely arbitrary; why couldn't it be virtually anything else? If it has to be pseudo-supernatural, why not gods, demons, pixies, leprechauns, aliens, or invisible pink unicorns? This attribution to mysterious forces beyond the grave is entirely fabricated and arbitrary -- a combination of wishful thinking about the afterlife and ingrained cultural mythology.

Ghosts do present an interesting thought experiment, though. Here's a question: do ghosts have mass? If yes, then the slightest breeze should send them flying. The general idea seems to be that ghosts do not in fact have any mass and are instead made up of something else (left entirely unexplained). But what are the consequences of that? If there is no mass, then the object is not affected by gravity, and nothing to hold the ghost to the Earth. Instead, the ghost should fall through the Earth as the planet hurtles through space around the sun, and we should "see" a constant wave of ghosts in our trail. Of course, the rebuttal to this thought experiment is inevitably some variation of "but magic," which just reinforces the idea that it's all made up to begin with. Where is this mysterious "ghost energy," and why can it interact with our senses while simultaneously being entirely undetectable by objective measurements?

A much more likely cause to ghost "sightings" is simple psychology: we, as human beings, tend to see what we want to see (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias) (or expect to see). And we also have a tendency to remember only strange things that stand out (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias), while disregarding other data. Our brains are strange and unreliable and powerful enough to make us sick (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_psychogenic_illness) or cure us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo), so the idea that it can make someone see something weird that wasn't actually there is entirely unremarkable.

TL;DR: ghosts are cool but not real (or, at least, as equally likely as invisible unicorns).

That's the best answer so far. :bro:
Besides, I am a rationalist, so it speaks for itself.

Midgar Mist
01-12-2016, 09:06 PM
I don't really think believing aliens could exist is in the same category as believing ghosts exist

I shamelessly threw it in there :-D

SammieBabe
01-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Nah. Never had any experiences with "ghosts" and despite my best friends efforts, I never "see them" or "hear them" when she makes me watch those stupid ghost hunting shows.

Psychotic
01-12-2016, 09:54 PM
I saw a ghost when I was a child and I still don't believe. I can remember the encounter vividly but I've put it down as an overactive imagination.

Freya
01-13-2016, 02:08 AM
Raistlin said it the best.

No. I don't believe in them. I do really enjoy the folklore and legends and what have you of it. It's a fun little bit of history and how the human psychology works about said things. As Wes said, we always want to explain everything we don't understand. I can usually rationalize instances of ~~spooky~~ I'm ever in and for the things I don't understand (like some girl talking crazy nonsense like she was possessed) I make my best guess and admit that I don't know why she is doing it but I don't put the label to ghosts or poltergeist or spirits. I find that very interesting though!

Ghosts are neat! I just don't believe in them personally.

Shorty
01-13-2016, 02:17 AM
Once I gave Wesley an aneurysm when I told him I was an atheist but think ghosts probably exist.

I've never had an experience, and I don't have a good reason for thinking why they do.

Shiny
01-13-2016, 08:17 AM
Those aren't ghosts you're seeing, they're just albinos. Geeze, so judge-y.

Bubba
01-13-2016, 10:15 AM
Before I tell my dark fable over the flickering embers of a midnight fire... I'm trying to get hold of a picture from my old Blackberry.

Weirdly though, that phone isn't working. I've only had it for ten years and it has moonlighted as a doorstop then NOW... it's not working. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Værn
01-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Of course ghosts are real. They chase people around mazes while they're trying to collect dots and fruits.

Formalhaut
01-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Of course ghosts are real. They chase people around mazes while they're trying to collect dots and fruits.

He says, while his avatar is a Haunter. :p

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/wtf-pokemon-haounter-lick.gif

BreakfastGrilledCheese
01-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Eh? I mean, I don't, but I sure do act like I do when there's creepy noises at night.