PDA

View Full Version : FFVII - If you could remove one character...

Pumpkin
01-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Who would it be and why? Keep in mind that this would affect gameplay and story!

Formalhaut
01-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Technically, Yuffie and Vincent are optional. I guess you could remove either of them and it wouldn't impact the core story so much.

fat_moogle
01-11-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm going to have to say Cait Sith. I'm sorry my Moogle riding friend, but you don't really bring much to the table and on top of that you have the ability to wipe the entire party.

Mirage
01-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Sephiroth 8)

Jinx
01-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Aeris.

Aulayna
01-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Cloud. Kappa.

Slothy
01-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Sephiroth 8)

Agreed. Sephiroth is the sort of character that an 11 year old boy who grew up in the 90's thinks is cool. But he actually manages to ruin what started out as a good story about fighting an evil corporation to defend the environment.

Crop
01-12-2016, 12:47 AM
Vincent. There is absolutely no point to him. As far as optional characters go, at least Yuffie comes in earlier, has some funny lines and an enjoyable sidequest.

Madame Adequate
01-12-2016, 02:06 AM
Sephiroth.

Nothing would change except the flashbacks and the fights after the final JENOVA battle.

Formalhaut
01-12-2016, 02:21 AM
Sephiroth 8)

Agreed. Sephiroth is the sort of character that an 11 year old boy who grew up in the 90's thinks is cool. But he actually manages to ruin what started out as a good story about fighting an evil corporation to defend the environment.

This. While the story of FFVII is a strong one, I did prefer it when they battling Shinra. I mean, they almost become quasi anti-heroes in places.

Forsaken Lover
01-12-2016, 04:22 AM
The fact people are suggesting Sephiroth more than Cait Sith is disturbing and wrong.

Remove Sephiroth and you remove most of the game, as well as your main character's character. Probably destroy Aerith's character, too.

Cait Sith is literally the guy who just says Imma join your party and you can't stop him. Then five minutes later at Gungaga your party is like "there's a traitor among us. But WHO?!"

I smurfing wonder.

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2016, 04:58 AM
This one is tough for me, I didn't hesitate for the FFX one, but here I just dislike so many characters that it's hard to choose. I pretty much hate Yuffie and she adds almost nothing to the story so she feels like a safe bet, but Red XIII is also a useless entity in the story as well. Sephy is a great backstory wasted on a generic villain and I agree that Shin-Ra should have remained the focus.

With all that said, I may have to go with Tifa, as she's largely connected to many of the reasons why I don't like the plot, and I've really grown to dislike her whiny, clingy, needy personality. The more I think about removing her from the story, the more I feel like the twists and turns in the plot would have worked better. Without her reference to ground Cloud's past, the story would have come across more interesting if the plot had just let Cloud's true past remain ambiguous.

Bubba
01-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Formalhaut
01-12-2016, 10:55 AM
This one is tough for me, I didn't hesitate for the FFX one, but here I just dislike so many characters that it's hard to choose. I pretty much hate Yuffie and she adds almost nothing to the story so she feels like a safe bet, but Red XIII is also a useless entity in the story as well. Sephy is a great backstory wasted on a generic villain and I agree that Shin-Ra should have remained the focus.

With all that said, I may have to go with Tifa, as she's largely connected to many of the reasons why I don't like the plot, and I've really grown to dislike her whiny, clingy, needy personality. The more I think about removing her from the story, the more I feel like the twists and turns in the plot would have worked better. Without her reference to ground Cloud's past, the story would have come across more interesting if the plot had just let Cloud's true past remain ambiguous.

Red XIII gave us the Cosmo Canyon plot and is therefore saved for his admitted lack of meaningful development after Cosmo Canyon.

Mirage
01-12-2016, 11:44 AM
The fact people are suggesting Sephiroth more than Cait Sith is disturbing and wrong.

Remove Sephiroth and you remove most of the game, as well as your main character's character. Probably destroy Aerith's character, too.

Cait Sith is literally the guy who just says Imma join your party and you can't stop him. Then five minutes later at Gungaga your party is like "there's a traitor among us. But WHO?!"

I smurfing wonder.

No, remove sephiroth and you change most of the game. Quite possibly for the better. Remove Cait Sith and you're left with the same old story.

Forsaken Lover
01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
The story is just fine as it is with a couple minor issues.

Mirage
01-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Fine doesn't mean it can't be better :p

maybee
01-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Cid because I hate him, well not hate, just find the way that he treats his future wife, by belittling her, extremely uncomfortable.

Sephiroth would be good for a removal was well, as he's just 2 edgy 2 Shadow the Hedgehog with guns.

edit- calm Cid the smurf down, and remove Sephiroth.

Forsaken Lover
01-12-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty sue Sephiroth not only predates Shadow existing, let alone Shadow w/guns, but he's a pretty standard rival/shounen villain. Not much edgy about him at all.

Unless you think the first FF villain with character depth and development is too edgy.

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Red XIII gave us the Cosmo Canyon plot and is therefore saved for his admitted lack of meaningful development after Cosmo Canyon.

Outside of the music, I actually consider Red XIII's diversion in Cosmo Canyon to be a waste of time. Technically Barret could have been the link there with a minor rewrite, so Red XIII really doesn't serve a purpose.

Unless you think the first FF villain with character depth and development is too edgy.

Xande and Golbez would like a word with you. ;)

Forsaken Lover
01-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Ah yes Gol-"I was mind controlled the whole time!"-bez. That is some real depth.

Who was he before the mind control? What was he like? Who knows!

Labella
01-13-2016, 03:37 AM
Either Aerith or Sephiroth.

Wolf Kanno
01-13-2016, 06:04 AM
Ah yes Gol-"I was mind controlled the whole time!"-bez. That is some real depth.

Who was he before the mind control? What was he like? Who knows!

A pretty nice guy who wants to feel connected to his father's people and was willing to undertake a suicide mission into the the enemy stronghold to put a stop to him as a small token of redeeming his past sins. Someone who realizes that said sins will likely not be forgiven evev if he does save the world. He also did care about Cecil seeing how Zemus' mind control always broke whenever Golbez actually had a chance to finish Cecil off.

In hindsight, Sephy's backstory does little more for him than the backstories for Kefka and Xande, it simply explains why he is evil. It never comes back into play as character development after it's revealed; because all three are irredeemably evil after they "broke". His backstory doesn't serve as an actual source for good character development like say... Albedo, whose backstory shows why he is warped, but also serves as a moral anchor for his character to actually grow throughout the story, instead of serving as just his Freudian Excuse like the three I mentioned. Sephy's backstory basically showed he was relatively normal if a bit superhuman before learning he was a guinea pig and then it didn't take much for him to turn on humanity after that, and he never looked back. You can infer that much from both Xande and Kefka's backstories.

Forsaken Lover
01-13-2016, 06:46 AM
If any of that first paragraph is in FF4, the original, I will be amazed Or are you just exaggerating two lines of text? I certainly don't remember any of that.

As for Sephiroth vs. Kefka and the FF3 guy, Kefka's backstory is also some throwaway text of no consequence. Sephiroth's is one of the most memorable sequences in the game. It makes him sympathetic to many, and I can'tsay that I've ever found one person who felt sorry for Kefka.

Sephiroth
01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Yeah, sure. Leave out the main villain. Why not even Cloud or delete the entire game.

Cloud - main
Sephiroth - main
Aerith - main
Tifa - semi-main
Barret - no
Yuffie - no, because Compilation
Vincent - no, because Compilation
Cid - no
Yuffie - no
Reeve - no, because Cait Sith's sacrifice plus Compilation
Nanaki - yes

But I would prefer to not cut out anyone.

And this thread again showed that multiple people here do not even understand the story.

Fynn
01-13-2016, 12:21 PM
If any of that first paragraph is in FF4, the original, I will be amazed Or are you just exaggerating two lines of text? I certainly don't remember any of that.

There's text, and there's context, and co-text. Golbez's actions say that. A game's story isn't conveyed through just its dialogue. Sreriously, it's all in the game if you pay attention.

Forsaken Lover
01-13-2016, 12:26 PM
So the We Are Actually Moonmen Twist was deeply foreshadowed and obvious?

Fynn
01-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Wolf didn't mention that. But yes, Golbez wants to connect with the Lunarians, because why else would he stay on the Moon with Fusoya?

Shiva95
01-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Cait Sith. I just can't stand him.

Fynn
01-13-2016, 01:39 PM
I am apalled and offended with how many people hate Cait Sith

Formalhaut
01-13-2016, 03:10 PM

Outside of the music, I actually consider Red XIII's diversion in Cosmo Canyon to be a waste of time. Technically Barret could have been the link there with a minor rewrite, so Red XIII really doesn't serve a purpose.

Xande and Golbez would like a word with you. ;)

You didn't like Cosmo Canyon? I'd consider that one of the highlights of the first disc! I was touched by Red XIII's backstory and the realisation of his father's true fate. It also gave some backstory about the planet as well, which was good.

Bubba
01-13-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm with you, Formy. Cosmo Canyon was one of my favourite sections. I loved the story with Seto and the music was phenomenal. I guess it comes down to whether you like the character of Nanaki or not.

Forsaken Lover
01-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Bugenhagen's observatory is one of the best moments in VII. It perfectly gets across the main idea of the game with fantastic music and visuals.

Fynn
01-13-2016, 03:24 PM
I kind of hated it because my copy of FFVII would not let me get past that fragment, so I kept replaying the game and dreading Cosmo Canyon because I knew that's the part where I could play no longer.

Skyblade
01-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Everyone has overlooked the obvious answer here. Probably because it didn't make it to the poll.

But, if I could remove one character:

Genesis.

Just, no. Get him out of the game.

Formalhaut
01-13-2016, 06:51 PM
I kind of hated it because my copy of FFVII would not let me get past that fragment, so I kept replaying the game and dreading Cosmo Canyon because I knew that's the part where I could play no longer.

Poor Fynn. I guess you never found out that Aerith dies, huh?

Crop
01-14-2016, 01:35 AM
The only bad thing about Red XIII is that he is criminally underused after Cosmo Canyon.

From when you meet him to when you get to Cosmo Canyon, he's a reserved, thoughtful, well spoken creature who tells you nothing of himself except that he's trying to get home, which is intriguing enough. Once you find out more about him and his tragic backstory at Cosmo Canyon he literally becomes irrelevant....hell, Bugenhagen becomes more relevant to the story. I think it might have served his character better if he had stayed at Cosmo Canyon as he originally planned.

The guy is seemingly the last of his kind, and was captured by Shinra at one point. So much more to explore, do something with it!

Fynn
01-14-2016, 05:53 AM

Poor Fynn. I guess you never found out that Aerith dies, huh?

I did end up getting a proper copy and finishing it later though

Slothy
01-14-2016, 12:06 PM

Change them and that's kind of the point. Sephiroth is a worse villain on pretty much every level than Shinra were and their story gets worse when he shows up.

It's also amusing that you think he's the first villain in the series with depth since he has almost none. Certainly no more that people like Golbez or Kefka. He's a super soldier who gets pissed when he finds out he was a lab rat and jumps straight to world ending genocide. It's all fairly absurd. And you spend most of the game dealing with that clone crap that mostly showed Square doesn't know what a clone is. And don't even get me started on Cloud's fractured personality because that's honestly a better mystery than the reveal and pays off in being one of the worse parts of the entire game in the end.

CactuarKing
01-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Cait Sith.

For many of the reasons that have already been proffered.

Bright Shield
01-15-2016, 01:22 AM
If Genesis is an option, I pick him. Hell, can I remove the entire compilation instead?

If not, then I have to go with Sephiroth. I actually don't mind him as a character, but the plot could be several times more interesting without him. If anything, Jenova should have been the main villain. It doesn't help that the crappy writers completely ruined Sephiroth's entire character after FFVII. The moron literally doesn't even use a fraction of his power on Cloud, in AC. Why? Umm... because he's arrogant. Yeah... that's not ridiculous or anything... >_>

So yeah, there are characters in the game that I hate far more than Sephiroth. At the same time I feel that the plot could be several times more interesting without him though(and none of his ridiculous AC antics).

I suppose a case could be made for Tifa as well, since she hurts the plot at times too.

Mirage
01-15-2016, 02:50 AM
And this thread again showed that multiple people here do not even understand the story.

Why's that?

Ayen
01-15-2016, 04:24 AM
Everyone has overlooked the obvious answer here. Probably because it didn't make it to the poll.

Genesis.

Technically, he's not in the original game, so there's nothing to take out.

I wouldn't remove any of them. Not even Cait Sith. At this point, I'm pretty sure that's going to be my answer for all of them.

Skyblade
01-16-2016, 12:07 AM

Genesis.

I wouldn't remove any of them. Not even Cait Sith. At this point, I'm pretty sure that's going to be my answer for all of them.

I'm preemptively calling for him to be removed from the remake.

Bright Shield
01-16-2016, 12:35 AM

Genesis.

I'm preemptively calling for him to be removed from the remake.

Smart call. Since you just KNOW that Square can't wait to tarnish the game with his presence. :(

Jiro
01-21-2016, 12:23 AM
For those who voted to remove Cait Sith: who are you sacrificing in the Temple of the Ancients, then?

Jinx
01-21-2016, 12:44 AM
For those who voted to remove Cait Sith: who are you sacrificing in the Temple of the Ancients, then?

Aeris.

escobert
01-21-2016, 06:39 AM
Yuffie for sure. I'm not really a fan of her sidequest and other than that she's not very useful for the story.

Bubba
01-21-2016, 08:13 AM

Aeris.

Agreed. She's about to get speared anyway. Just ask her to pray for Holy a little sooner.

CactuarKing
01-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Aeris.

Agreed. She's about to get speared anyway. Just ask her to pray for Holy a little sooner.

I was a little crushed to read this!:lol:

Loony BoB
01-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Vincent. Guy had the personality of a damp rag.

Omni-Odin
01-21-2016, 11:12 PM

Change them and that's kind of the point. Sephiroth is a worse villain on pretty much every level than Shinra were and their story gets worse when he shows up.

It's also amusing that you think he's the first villain in the series with depth since he has almost none. Certainly no more that people like Golbez or Kefka. He's a super soldier who gets pissed when he finds out he was a lab rat and jumps straight to world ending genocide. It's all fairly absurd. And you spend most of the game dealing with that clone crap that mostly showed Square doesn't know what a clone is. And don't even get me started on Cloud's fractured personality because that's honestly a better mystery than the reveal and pays off in being one of the worse parts of the entire game in the end.

That's, like, your opinion man.... :mamu: <-----Don't know why. Was looking for a jokey face. Found that. Loved it.