PDA

View Full Version : Fun Childhood Hobbies

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2016, 07:53 AM
So I have a co-worker having a birthday party tomorrow and so I decided I would make her a Mix CD as a present. When I was in middle school to high school I used to make mix tapes (with actual cassette tapes no less) as a hobby and I always felt I was good at it. Making this CD has brought back the memories of how fun it was to do this. I'm actually wondering why I stopped doing this besides the obvious answer of iTunes...

Anyway, are there any fun things you used to do when you were younger that you wish or even want to get back to doing?

Ayen
01-03-2016, 09:22 AM
I used to make shows on my old tape recorder by recording my voice and mixing it with the audio of shows I'd watch. I also used to have two VCRs which I used to splice footage of other programs together onto the same video, some times combining it with gameplay footage.

Now I do that on YouTube.

Labella
01-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Not paying any bills.

Midgar Mist
01-08-2016, 12:13 AM
Playing all those amiga games that sadly no longer work

Crop
01-08-2016, 01:34 AM
I still make mix CD's all the time, mostly for road trips. Keep it going man, you can't beat a good mix CD.

Zeldy
01-08-2016, 02:05 AM
I used to like going crabbing, and me and my brother used to collect insects xD we (more him, I preferred woodlice) had jars upon jars with spiders in them that we used to feed.

Bri
01-08-2016, 04:04 AM
Tic Tac Toe, Marbles game, lighting fire crackers and playing my favorite Dodgeball.

Madame Adequate
01-08-2016, 04:55 AM
i wasn't allowed fun when i was a kid so i would just drag my head back and forth across the side of my bed. it was metal and had a nice texture.

then i got yelled at for doing that because it was making noise.

like dad, if your kid is just doing some stupid af monotonous thing like that there might be a problem.

Vasher
01-08-2016, 10:02 AM
I used to like going crabbing, and me and my brother used to collect insects xD we (more him, I preferred woodlice) had jars upon jars with spiders in them that we used to feed.

I had several praying mantis', a couple black widows, and I happened upon a brown recluse (violin) that I kept in jars (holes poked). Made a nice encironment for them, and caught flies to put inside. My mom freaked when she found out. I was ~6.

My friends and I would build bmx jumps/tracks wherever we could. I even had a track in my back yard, up until we got horses (more for mom and sis than us boys). Shortly before the horses, my track had evolved from BMX to MX, but during it's "down time", I'd leveled it to tear it up in a Honda ATV. I busted a few bones on the crazy things we built. My pops had a hand in a ramp or two.

Made "blow guns" from pvc, darts were roofing nails, cone made from scotch tape, dripped wax into it to seal it. Nasty weapon for an 8 year old to make.

Used to go around shooting out neighbors car mirrors/windows with my pellet gun (only the nasty pricks). Got "busted" (suspected, not actually caught), switched to sling shots/pachinko balls.

I was into RC cars/trucks. By the time I was 10, my soldering skills were 1'st rate.

Paintball, I played in a tank top, nickname was "Rambo". You don't realize how fun it is to shoot someone (who is, in turn, trying to shoot you) until you do it. Exhilarating.

Magic: The Gathering

Warhammer (Fantasy & 40k). I would even paint figures for friends, only to find out they took them to the next con and sold the for $90-$150 a piece. Painted more for them regardless (always exited about painting).

Anything related to arcade/video games. Had the original Pong when I was 3-4. Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari. I was boss at a table top game my pops got me when I was 4/5/6. Space Thunderbird. One time, I reached a zen like state, and achieved an insanely high score, untouchable. The score stood for nearly a year, until my mom unplugged it while cleaning. I doubt I could even get close to that score today (my parents still have the game). My world was changed forever with the NES (I was 8). Dragon Warrior, The Legend of Zelda, FFI. Revolutionary for gaming.

Building bikes from spare parts. Even built a "wheelie bike" from a toddler frame.

Working on motorcycles/cars/boats with my dad.

Going to garage sales with my dad and grand parents. There were always treasures to be found. I still go sometimes, my eldest has gone a few times (with just me, a few times with pops). My dad recently came across an antique French display piece. Ornate brass accents top to bottom, hand painted, valued at ~$4k. He got it for $150. It's resting comfortably in my dining room.

Guns, lots of guns. I don't have any in my home (kids, there is just no way I would be ok with a firearm anywhere near them, even my own).

Dirt bikes. I was just insane on a bike. The desert was my 2'nd home. Quit before I killed myself (~19-20). My brother (lucky to be alive after several other accidents), nearly killed himself last year. 70mph, down in the sand, broken ribs/collar bones/shoulder blades/vertebrae, punctured lungs, barely survived. This, after giving up riding a number of times. 2 kids himself, I think he's done for good (double entendre).

My soldering/mechanical/electrical skills made me confident enough to pull the back off my TV when it stopped working, I was 11/12. Where the AV cable screwed in, there was a tiny enclosure. Within was a couple "diodes", one visibly burnt. I went to a local repair shop on my bike, bought the same diode, soldered it in, TV fixed. After that, I have always fixed anything that was "fixable". Around the same time, I had modified my Sega Genesis to play the Japanese games (Mega Drive). First one I played on it was Strider (bought it from a Japanese kid selling games through "The Recycler").

Horseback riding. Had to get rid of my bmx/MX track. Had to make the best of it. Horses were mom and sisters thing, gotta go with the flow. Used to ride all the time, even did a number of parades.

Archery. I had a nice recurve, was envious of my dads compound. Probably why I just got my son a really nice compound (he's really intrigued by archery, even made a heavily developed archer in Skyrim).

Fishing, fresh or salt. I just love the peace and serenity, whether it's on the ocean, or in a river. A bad day fishing beats a good day working. I was maybe 13, caught a monster trout by hanging off a partially downed tree, over the river, into a central fall/pool. When I hooked it, I slid down the tree, tearing up the inside of my arm, but I got him. My dad was certain that he'd beat me that day, until I pulled that one out. Biggest freshwater fish I've caught to date.

Golfing, grandpa, my dad, and uncles. Always a beautiful, serene, day. Haven't done that in forever.

Surfing. My dad started me body surfing and boogie boarding. Natural evolution. Love the sea, love the water, Pisces. (My sons love the water, children of Posiedon).

Diving/Snorkeling/Spear fishing.

Baseball and soccer. I excelled, but goalie and catcher were my favorite positions. "Home run King" several years also.

Fighting, I beat up the school bully in the 5'th grade (twice within 20 minutes, he was in 6'th). I got cocky, became the bully, had to defend "rep" through middle school. A thing for many years to follow (only, not because I wanted to, just too many idiots along the way).

Model kits (Gundam, Patlabor, and the like).

Comics. I scored big at a yard sale, comic book store closed and the owner was selling everything off. Made my mom and dad take me back every weekend for a couple months while I went through it all. Xmen, Fantastic 4, Batman, Superman, I had material to read through for years. I'm definitely a "well read" comic nerd.

A bunch more, but I've probably dragged this out far too long.

Zeldy
01-08-2016, 01:03 PM

I had several praying mantis', a couple black widows, and I happened upon a brown recluse (violin) that I kept in jars (holes poked). Made a nice encironment for them, and caught flies to put inside. My mom freaked when she found out. I was ~6.

xD you crazy. Black widows! Ours were common house spiders! We used to give them a short stick (not high enough to touch the lid - lesson learnt there o.O) and some moss, and we'd feed them (my) woodlice and beetles and stuff and watch them kill it :3

I used to also like go-karting (still do) alot when I was younger, along with playing the 99 stock challenge on Super Smash Bros for fun.

Chris
01-09-2016, 01:46 AM
Stabbing other children with pencils.

Mirage
01-09-2016, 01:57 AM
Playing all those amiga games that sadly no longer work

You can emulate these on PC too :D

Formalhaut
01-09-2016, 02:03 AM
Playing board games, by myself. I love board games but my family didn't very much care for 'family time', so I stayed in my room playing Monopoly and Chess. I didn't have many board games, either, actually. :shrug:

starlet
01-09-2016, 03:04 AM
Drawing. That's a hobby om glad has stuck with me. I don't do it nearly enough these days.

Shorty
01-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Another insect catcher here. I had jars and jars of katydids (they all died). Building little homes or lodgings for animals and birds. Climbing trees and spending hour picking cherries and plums for my grandparents.

Hollycat
01-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Drawing. I'm kind of sad I stopped :(
I wasn't all that awesome at it anyways, but it was a good way to kill time.

Maybe at some point I'll pick up some pastels and try my hand again.

Bubba
01-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Breastfeeding and being pushed around in a rainproof buggy.

MissH has stated categorically that neither of these things will be happening anytime soon.

Psychotic
01-09-2016, 05:18 PM

MissH has stated categorically that neither of these things will be happening anytime soon.Psychotic would like to state categorically that he would never deny you, and hereby cordially invites you to sup upon his refreshing milk.

Hollycat
01-09-2016, 05:19 PM

MissH has stated categorically that neither of these things will be happening anytime soon.
My girlfriend wants to try and get me to start lactating. That's a little different kind of hobby though -_-

Aerith's Knight
01-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Making fire.

Shiny
01-10-2016, 09:44 PM
I would love to go about riding around in a toy car again that's battery operated so I guess I'll just get a Telsa as that's close enough.

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Oh I remembered another one, horse back riding. I havent done it in years, I loved it.