PDA

View Full Version : PS5 and Xbox 2... Already?

Ayen
01-05-2016, 08:17 PM
I don't know how reliable this site is, but the official Xbox FB page did share one of their articles, so maybe it's legit. I just didn't think they'd be working on their next systems this early.

It really is amazing how fast console technology is moving along these days. It seemed like just yesterday that the PlayStation 4 the Xbox One were introduced on the market. Soon, both will be outmoded by their successors. Both Sony and Microsoft respectively have confirmed the upcoming release of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Two. Right now, we do not have a lot of detailed information about either, but we can make some predictions about what we can expect from both.

Source (http://vgpwn.com/console-wars-ps5-vs-xbox-two/)

The PS4 and XBO aren't even that old yet.

Fynn
01-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I was confused by your header. It should be called Xbox Two. Pronounced t-woah. Kinda like Beast pronounced it during Human Again :D

Ayen
01-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Whoops! Damn my need to type digits for numbers.

Formalhaut
01-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Yeah to be honest it feels just like yesterday they were released. I mean, I've just got a PS4, but I don't feel like I'm behind the curve at all, or that I'm 'late'. I mean, it was released in 2013, right? Two years in, we're still getting 'collections' from previous generations, like the Nathan Drake Collection. Which is fine, and there are several games I want for the PS4, but it's really the prospect of upcoming games this year (Persona 5, FFXV, etc.) that tempted me to purchase it, and even then I only got it because my older brother was selling it for dirt cheap for me and Mr. Carny.

Fox
01-05-2016, 08:51 PM
This console generation isn't going anywhere for at least another 4 years, worry ye not. Microsoft and Sony built these things for longevity and invested a huge amount, they aren't going to turn around another lot 3 years later. Seeing as this thread cites more sources than that news post we can safely assume the news post is nonsense :)

Mirage
01-05-2016, 08:52 PM
While they are most definitely in development, there has not been any official announcement of their release dates. If there had been, you would have seen it plastered over every single gaming site in the world.

Also that web site looks bogus as fuck.

CactuarKing
01-05-2016, 08:53 PM
This console generation isn't going anywhere for at least another 4 years, worry ye not. Microsoft and Sony built these things for longevity and invested a huge amount, they aren't going to turn around another lot 3 years later. Seeing as this thread cites more sources than that news post we can safely assume the news post is nonsense :)

I smurfing hope so as only had mine about a year!!

Ayen
01-05-2016, 08:55 PM

Huh? You forget to link something there?

Midgar Mist
01-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Oh no too fast too fast for poor old Midgar Mist

Fox
01-05-2016, 10:30 PM

I meant this thread as in the one we're posting in now. Because you cited a source and the actual source didn't! So Ayen: 1, vgpwn.com: 0.

Yellow_Magic
01-05-2016, 10:31 PM
The PS5 is probably going to be released before I finish MGSV

Ayen
01-05-2016, 10:43 PM

I meant this thread as in the one we're posting in now. Because you cited a source and the actual source didn't! So Ayen: 1, vgpwn.com: 0.

Ohh. Wow, I am slow today.

I also suspected something was up when they called it the Xbox Two. Just like the Xbox 720 predictions, I have my doubts the next Xbox system will be called Two, but who knows at this point. PS5 is a safer bet because Sony always keep their systems consistent with the numbers. Microsoft usually name their system whatever makes sense to them.

Mirage
01-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Oh no too fast too fast for poor old Midgar Mist

It's not moving too fast for poor old midgar mist. It's just some random douches making things up

fat_moogle
01-06-2016, 12:30 AM
It will be interesting to see how Sony & Microsoft approach the PS5 & Xbox Two But Really Four, but hopefully we won't see them for a few more years. This gen is only really just getting started and with Sony spending a fortune on PlayStation VR I can see the PS4 being around for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if it has a ten year life-cycle like PS3 and the Nintendo NX will be released before the PS5 even gets announced.

Besides if PS4 can push out quality looking games like The Order 1886 and Until Dawn now then imagine what could be done in the next few years on current gen hardware.

theundeadhero
01-06-2016, 12:54 AM
I'm sure they are under early development, but that doesn't mean they'll be released in the next three years.

maybee
01-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Knowing Microsoft though they wouldn't name their next console, X- Box Two- it would be something stupid, like- X Box 2. 8 + Square root of π.

escobert
01-06-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't even have a PS3 or 360 yet! O_o

CactuarKing
01-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Knowing Microsoft though they wouldn't name their next console, X- Box Two- it would be something stupid, like- X Box 2. 8 + Square root of π.

:lol: Nearly spat my brew all over the computer screen upon reading this. Nice one!!

Bolivar
01-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Every console manufacturer is always thinking about the next generation and it's not unusual for R&D to begin in earnest at this point in the lifecycle. For reference, they began developing the PS4 in 2008. It's a good time for Sony and Microsoft to start looking ahead, as the next generation of video memory, High Bandwidth Memory (HBM), just debuted last year with AMD's Radeon R9 Fury and Fury X.

The article seems very vague and I'm not convinced on their assumptions, especially about Microsoft prioritizing the cloud anymore than it already is, or even that 4K will be important to gaming going forward. Confirmation about PS5 and Xbox Pi development speaks more to the narrative at the start of this generation, asserting that gaming consoles were becoming irrelevant.

I think this gen should go on for six years. Part of why commentators were so down on consoles was a result of how long the PS3/360 generation lasted. There was a significant contraction in the dedicated gaming industry in 2012-2013, when publishers had pretty much exhausted all the horsepower they could get out of the systems; they finished shipping their final big games but there was nothing new at market to drive demand. At the same time, the PS3/360 were retailing for $250, with no budget consoles supported by third parties to bring in low end consumers. The six year cycle of PS1 and PS2 seems to be the sweet spot, giving publishers new hardware to drive demand among enthusiasts, while still having some life left in the old gen for casuals and niche genre audiences.

Old Manus
01-07-2016, 10:24 AM
It wouldn't be that surprising.

PS1: 1995
PS2: 2000
PS3: 2006
PS4: 2013
PS5: 2018-2021(?)

Formalhaut
01-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Nintendo seems to be bucking the curve, releasing their 'next gen' console about halfway in the current gen cycle, like with the Wii U.

Psychotic
01-07-2016, 06:24 PM
My uncle works for Sony so I've already got a PS6.

Mirage
01-07-2016, 06:26 PM
I just hope the NX, if it ends up a home console at all, will be higher powered relative to PS4 than WiiU was to PS3. WiiU is like a PS3.2, NX needs to be a PS4.5. At least that's what I think, if they want third party support not just from the current gen multiplats, but also the first few years of multiplats after PS5 is released.

CactuarKing
01-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Nintendo continues to rely on motion controls, which Sony and Microsoft appear to have mostly given up on.

It is this gimmick, and Mario Kart 42 which will continue to pull in Nintendo regulars.

They stand no real chance of making inroads into the dominance of either Sony or Microsoft though as they always go for the underpowered console mid-cycle.

Shauna
01-08-2016, 03:59 PM
The WiiU doesn't rely on motion controls, what?

CactuarKing
01-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Maybe rely was too strong a word....it is still a big part of it but not as important as on Wii.

It is mainly the gimmicks that they aim for. Like the massive touch screen controller (which I begrudgingly admit looks rather cool).

And the big name games like Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers.

I suppose they are all guilty of that though.

Shauna
01-08-2016, 04:14 PM
It is really not a big part of it. Unless Sony using the motion controls in their DS4 controls is "a big thing", because it's probably used just as much.

Mirage
01-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I haven't used motion controls in any of the games I have on my WiiU. I've used the touch screen to navigate certain menus, but that's it. That screen's touch isn't very suited for complex motions anyway, just single point presses.

Old Manus
01-08-2016, 04:19 PM
My uncle works for Sony so I've already got a PS6.I remember during my school dayz this ginger lad swearing up and down that he had a PS8 (this was around 2003) because his dad worked at Sony. It must have been a big commute considering their offices are in Surrey.

CactuarKing
01-08-2016, 04:21 PM
I stand corrected :eek:

I enjoyed the Wii but have not much experience of WiiU.

I am a Sony console collecter, and never use even the vibration function of my PS4 controller (mainly because the battery life is shocking, but also because I don't like it)

If anything needs to improve on the next gen Sony console then it is the dire battery life of the controller. Or even just the ability to turn off the smurfing light bar.

Mirage
01-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Hey, at least it's not as horrible as in the WiiU padlet.

Vyk
01-08-2016, 09:54 PM
I see where the motion control argument stems from. WiiU still likes it's gimmick controls. If it's not motion then its the touch screen. ZombiU and the new Fatal Frame come to mind. Very gimmicky controls. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not so much. And always there should be an option to do without. And there rarely is..

DMKA
01-09-2016, 03:55 AM
We'll have the PS4 and XB1 as the primary consoles for at least four more years. Honestly, with all these new peripherals just now coming like PSVR, it's probably going to be longer (we got a good seven years out of the last consoles on their meager hardware, after all).

I honestly will be surprised if the next round of consoles are even consoles as we currently know them. Microsoft seems to be pushing away from Xbox in favor of everything on PC and Sony seems to be pushing toward turning PlayStation into more of a service than a line of hardware. Meanwhile Nintendo seems to be heading toward some sort of all mobile microconsole idea.

It will be interesting to watch unfold. It will be even more interesting to see if all these companies currently dumping obscene amounts of money into VR hardware don't go bankrupt.

Formalhaut
01-09-2016, 04:12 AM
Sony seems to be pushing toward turning PlayStation into more of a service than a line of hardware.

The day of consoles solely playing video games is over, really. Even the previous generation supported video streaming services, web browsing and other non-gaming features. I'd say it's positive move, and it does no harm having the console do more things.

Though the PS4 could stand to have more customisation. I just received mine for Christmas and was pretty disheartened that I could alter the 'home' screen much, like move apps around or delete them (there's even apps I haven't even downloaded, clogging up my home screen! Gah!).

Vyk
01-09-2016, 04:17 AM
One feature the Vita has over the PS4, and even the PS3 did this when Sony started making contracts with Verizon and Redbox. Neither of which interested me. And now they have promotions for some football thing and hulu and stuff which neither interest me in my video section. I too would like them removed. But at least its not like the 360 forcing an actual advertisement in the corner of every panel. Ugh. Unless I was specifically searching for online content, or using it for Netflix or YouTube, I kept my 360 offline..

Old Manus
01-09-2016, 08:02 PM
The day of consoles solely playing video games is over, really. Even the previous generation supported video streaming services, web browsing and other non-gaming features. I'd say it's positive move, and it does no harm having the console do more things.One might argue that that came with the advent of the PS2, which was marketed as also being a DVD player. Even the PS1 played your music CDs.

Psychotic
01-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Remember when you could put a PS1 game in a CD player and it'd play the soundtrack?

Labella
01-09-2016, 10:01 PM
I found the title of this thread stressful. It feels like I watched Mark Cerny speak bout the PS4 hardware only yesterday.

Mirage
01-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Remember when you could put a PS1 game in a CD player and it'd play the soundtrack?

For those that used CD audio for the music, yeah. Because most games were less than 100 MB in size, there were in some cases plenty of space for that.