PDA

View Full Version : I got a job!

Zeldy
01-07-2016, 02:36 PM
So as some of you may know, I got made redundant in November from my previous graduate sales position within IT and I was devastated. Ive been on the market officially since the 4th of January, and today I got offered a graduate IT sales position for the UK's leading infrastructure provider.

I am BUZZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you all find work when you need work? what do you all do for a living?

I sell my soul for money ie sales.

Fynn
01-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Awesome, Zeldy! Good for you :love:

I'm currently working as a copywriter for a small SEO company, which is great because I actually get to do some kind of writing, and most of it is in English, so not only is it at least a bit creative, I get to use my greatest asset, which is my native-like English proficiency ;)

Hoping to get into something more interesting in the future. I'd love to do more writing, and my dream is to become a published author. I also do translations from time to time and it'd be great if I could ever do something connected to video game localization. For a starter job, I'm getting paid really well, but yeah, i guess in a couple of years I'll be searching for something better.

Shauna
01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
It's been nice having you back, catch you in another 5 years.

CactuarKing
01-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Congratulations to you Zeldy.

Zeldy
01-07-2016, 03:23 PM

You can't get rid of me that easily!

although, I'm down south for training for 3 WEEKS (so long wow) so I certainly wont be on FF for awhile, damn.

Freya
01-07-2016, 03:30 PM
YAY! That's great!

I am an accounting clerk for a natural gas pipeline and construction company. Glamourous over here :p

starlet
01-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Congrats! Idk where I'd be without pet grooming.... Probably selling meth in the streets :D

Shauna
01-07-2016, 04:09 PM

although, I'm down south for training for 3 WEEKS (so long wow) so I certainly wont be on FF for awhile, damn.

Not that we've had a chance to be lame in Eorzea together yet.

Where are you gonna be based? Still in smelly ol' Manchester?

Zeldy
01-07-2016, 04:15 PM

Not that we've had a chance to be lame in Eorzea together yet.

Where are you gonna be based? Still in smelly ol' Manchester?

I'll be on all tomorrow and tonight probs, no more interviews taking up my time anymore! and I can't wait for the wedding now on Saturday, it will be my farewell! although, ill be back on weekends xD

Yes, I'll be starting in Manchester after the 3 weeks :D

Midgar Mist
01-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Congrats! Idk where I'd be without pet grooming.... Probably selling meth in the streets :D

I still remember the cutie little doggie you posted to cheer me up so I think we are all glad you aren't on meth

And congrats to Zeldy, nice to see it isn't all grim up north

Good luck from your compatriot over the Pennines aka me!

Psychotic
01-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Congratulations on getting a job! :)

Sorry to hear it's in Manchester :(

Pumpkin
01-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Congrats! I hope you are happy and successful and your new career :D

Iceglow
01-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Congrats Zeldy, I know how much getting put at risk of redundancy made me angry as hell so I could imagine what it must be like to be actually made redundant (I was removed from risk of redundancy but the damage was done for sure so I moved on, just on my terms which were more money, no commuting distance and a lot better environment).

Currently I check teachers out for a living. I'm not even kidding, I mean that in a very literal sense, I work in the recruitment industry essentially my role is to be HR to the candidates for the agency, this means everything from maintaining their files, ensuring they're ready for consultants to place in schools without a delay to processing their registrations by obtaining references, performing necessary background checks and so forth. This also includes me translating foreign police checks on a regular basis. I've kinda become the go-to guy for the company for this skill. I've translated most europoean languages including Bulgarian and Russian and some really odd ones such as Japanese so my company uses me as a sort of formal translator and authority on police checks (especially since I proved the quality director wrong on Italian ones).

I'm debating moving in to a sales role within the firm, recruitment can be tough and I'm uncertain as to how well I would smash it or not and I don't have the option to flit between the two roles.

Zeldy
01-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Congrats Zeldy, I know how much getting put at risk of redundancy made me angry as hell so I could imagine what it must be like to be actually made redundant (I was removed from risk of redundancy but the damage was done for sure so I moved on, just on my terms which were more money, no commuting distance and a lot better environment).

Currently I check teachers out for a living. I'm not even kidding, I mean that in a very literal sense, I work in the recruitment industry essentially my role is to be HR to the candidates for the agency, this means everything from maintaining their files, ensuring they're ready for consultants to place in schools without a delay to processing their registrations by obtaining references, performing necessary background checks and so forth. This also includes me translating foreign police checks on a regular basis. I've kinda become the go-to guy for the company for this skill. I've translated most europoean languages including Bulgarian and Russian and some really odd ones such as Japanese so my company uses me as a sort of formal translator and authority on police checks (especially since I proved the quality director wrong on Italian ones).

I'm debating moving in to a sales role within the firm, recruitment can be tough and I'm uncertain as to how well I would smash it or not and I don't have the option to flit between the two roles.

Recruitment and sales are very similar and skills are interchangeable, you'll be glad to hear. I was being shortlisted for several IT recruitment positions with my skill set from sales.

Recruitment you're selling people -- whereas I'm selling products. You have the relationship/rapport building down and the customer service element, most sales roles are entry level or training is provided.

You may not make as much money in sales, but I think that is entirely down to the company, but it's certainly what I kept getting told, but the company Ive gone with have a very nice commission structure :3

As for the redundancy, it broke my heart, literally. I didn't know it was coming, didn't know I was at risk, literally had my world turned upside down and suddenly I was on a paid-notice and unemployed. Didnt get to say my farewells or anything (as he "hadn't told anyone yet", ha). Its taken me into the New Year to get myself out of the depression and just sheer misery of it all, I loved that job.

Congratulations on getting a job! :)

Sorry to hear it's in Manchester :(

I know mate. I'm after a relocation ASAP xD

Thank you to everyone for your wishes~ :jess:

starlet
01-07-2016, 06:34 PM

I still remember the cutie little doggie you posted to cheer me up so I think we are all glad you aren't on meth

And congrats to Zeldy, nice to see it isn't all grim up north

Good luck from your compatriot over the Pennines aka me!

I didn't say I'd be doing the meth..... Just selling. Never consume your profits kids!

fire_of_avalon
01-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Woo!

Iceglow
01-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Recruitment and sales are very similar and skills are interchangeable, you'll be glad to hear. I was being shortlisted for several IT recruitment positions with my skill set from sales.

Recruitment you're selling people -- whereas I'm selling products. You have the relationship/rapport building down and the customer service element, most sales roles are entry level or training is provided.

You may not make as much money in sales, but I think that is entirely down to the company, but it's certainly what I kept getting told, but the company Ive gone with have a very nice commission structure :3

As for the redundancy, it broke my heart, literally. I didn't know it was coming, didn't know I was at risk, literally had my world turned upside down and suddenly I was on a paid-notice and unemployed. Didnt get to say my farewells or anything (as he "hadn't told anyone yet", ha). Its taken me into the New Year to get myself out of the depression and just sheer misery of it all, I loved that job.

Haha, may be a little confusion, in recruitment we call the consultants "sales" internally because as you rightfully put it they sell people. It's essentially a glamourous version of slavery! I'm thinking of moving from my support role in to one of the recruitment consultancy roles. This would increase my pay by around 3 - 6 grand per year which is a considerable amount considering that is without commission or bonuses. Commission in recruitment tends to be a little lower than in sales but your basic is higher which is nice because even the best consultants can't always "smash their targets" as sometimes you just literally cannot find the people or vacancies to fill, though you gotta swing for them hills so to speak.

If I do the change over I could also see myself moving from London within a year or so. Which isn't the end of the world in terms of how ideas are.

SammieBabe
01-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Woot! Congrats Zeldy!

I work in the Accounting office of a hotel in Downtown Tampa. I've been in my current position for about 4 and a half years. I've been working in hotels since I was 21. :)

Ayen
01-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Congrats.

I'm a self-employed games and movie critic. Not currently making any money, the woes of starting from scratch.

Night Fury
01-07-2016, 11:22 PM
I recently quit my retail management job, so am currently searching again.... Who knows what I'll end up doing. Looking forward to the next challenge though.

Yellow_Magic
01-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Congrats! And boo to all you Manchester haters - it's a great city. ...For the North, anyway....

I'm in my second year of the technology graduate scheme of a major US financial services organisation. I didn't think I'd still be here after 12 months of joining, but the hours are nice and I guess the money's been too good for me to go anywhere else (yay for selling one's soul!). Also, recently rotated into a new team which is doing proper software development - a big plus for me - so I'm likely to stick around until at least September. Will see how it goes...

Zeldy
01-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Congrats! And boo to all you Manchester haters - it's a great city. ...For the North, anyway....

I'm in my second year of the technology graduate scheme of a major US financial services organisation. I didn't think I'd still be here after 12 months of joining, but the hours are nice and I guess the money's been too good for me to go anywhere else (yay for selling one's soul!). Also, recently rotated into a new team which is doing proper software development - a big plus for me - so I'm likely to stick around until at least September. Will see how it goes...

It is indeed the capital of the North, but I like the second capital, Liverpool! So totally biased.

Your job sounds awesome, Yellow. I'm really curious about development, If I get the opportunity I will certainly pick your brain about what you do! I've worked for a software development company and now this one is selling infrastructure solutions directly from the vendors themselves, so I'd like to think I have an entry level grasp now of technology - but I'm super stoked to learn as much as I physically can (hence why I learnt basic HTML & CSS)

I wish you all the best in your job!

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Congrats. cross your fingers I find a job soon too.

Bubba
01-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Manchester is awesome. Anyone who says differently clearly doesn't know her!

I work in HR and recruitment for Sainsburys Supermarket in the centre of Manchester. By night, I am an acoustic guitarist and singer and play at least twice a month in and around the centre of town.

Zeldy
01-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Manchester is awesome. Anyone who says differently clearly doesn't know her!

I work in HR and recruitment for Sainsburys Supermarket in the centre of Manchester. By night, I am an acoustic guitarist and singer and play at least twice a month in and around the centre of town.

WHERE

Yellow_Magic
01-10-2016, 11:14 PM
It is indeed the capital of the North, but I like the second capital, Liverpool! So totally biased.

Your job sounds awesome, Yellow. I'm really curious about development, If I get the opportunity I will certainly pick your brain about what you do! I've worked for a software development company and now this one is selling infrastructure solutions directly from the vendors themselves, so I'd like to think I have an entry level grasp now of technology - but I'm super stoked to learn as much as I physically can (hence why I learnt basic HTML & CSS)

And I lived in Manchester for four years, so 100% biased ;p

Sure, feel free to reach out - although I guess I'd be in a better position to answer any questions after a couple of weeks or so, as this team I'm in is still fairly new. Basic HTML and CSS is a good start - if you add Javascript to that, you'll have a pretty solid foundation in web engineering.

Meanwhile, I'm just sat here trying to determine what company you work for!...(even if you can tell me, I'd rather figure it out myself)

And thanks for the well wishes - right back at you!

Zeldy
01-10-2016, 11:19 PM

And I lived in Manchester for four years, so 100% biased ;p

Sure, feel free to reach out - although I guess I'd be in a better position to answer any questions after a couple of weeks or so, as this team I'm in is still fairly new. Basic HTML and CSS is a good start - if you add Javascript to that, you'll have a pretty solid foundation in web engineering.

Meanwhile, I'm just sat here trying to determine what company you work for!...(even if you can tell me, I'd rather figure it out myself)

And thanks for the well wishes - right back at you!

They do alot of stuff, they see themselves as an extention to your IT department. Basically, we can manage everything internally including even hosting aswell as bespoke solutions. (I havent even started yet though!) I'd be happy to tell you my back history, you may be familiar with my previous company who were all about digital performance - they were Manchester also.

My current company are all over the UK though. Any thoughts? getting closer?

Yellow_Magic
01-10-2016, 11:32 PM
They do alot of stuff, they see themselves as an extention to your IT department. Basically, we can manage everything internally including even hosting aswell as bespoke solutions. (I havent even started yet though!) I'd be happy to tell you my back history, you may be familiar with my previous company who were all about digital performance - they were Manchester also.

My current company are all over the UK though. Any thoughts? getting closer?

Um, still not too sure to be honest. Is your current company have its headquarters in the UK or somewhere else?

Bubba
01-11-2016, 01:47 AM
WHERE

Got two gigs coming up on consecutive weekends at Parkside Hotel in Prestwich. Right next to Heaton Park. I'm playing there Sat 23rd and Sat 30th January :D

You and your fella feel free to pop down to either one. I take requests!

Raistlin
01-11-2016, 02:07 AM
Congrats. Not having a job is stressful, and lack of comfortable, long-term employment is something that seems increasingly more lacking these past few years. I wasn't sure I had full-time employment (at least in my chosen field) for months after I graduated, although the worst unemployment story belongs to my eldest step-sister. She was unemployed for most of a year and then she finally got a perfectly-suited job for her... with a company that was ridden by scandal within months of her hiring and then laid off all of its employees. Talk about rough.

How do you all find work when you need work?

Like all good lawyers, I signed my soul over to the devil.

what do you all do for a living?

See above.

CactuarKing
01-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Congrats. cross your fingers I find a job soon too.

Crossed.

Congrats. Not having a job is stressful, and lack of comfortable, long-term employment is something that seems increasingly more lacking these past few years. I wasn't sure I had full-time employment (at least in my chosen field) for months after I graduated, although the worst unemployment story belongs to my eldest step-sister. She was unemployed for most of a year and then she finally got a perfectly-suited job for her... with a company that was ridden by scandal within months of her hiring and then laid off all of its employees. Talk about rough.

How do you all find work when you need work?

Like all good lawyers, I signed my soul over to the devil.

what do you all do for a living?

See above.

Ouch. You are correct. That is really rough.