PDA

View Full Version : Dissidia: Original or 012?

Spawn of Sephiroth
01-10-2016, 04:23 AM
Ok, so I'm trying to make up my mind here. I've never played Dissidia and I'm going to now. Which one is better? Do I need to play the original first or will I be ok playing 012. I'm leaning towards 012 since it has greater charactor selection.

Wolf Kanno
01-10-2016, 05:37 AM
012, it even has the entire plot of the original in it as the game is less of a prequel and more of an actual "director's cut" with a extra bookend content. The interface is better, the balance is a bit better in terms of equipment, the better character selection and it has a damn world map. If you've never played the games, there is no real reason to play the original.

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 05:40 AM
012, it even has the entire plot of the original in it as the game is less of a prequel and more of an actual "director's cut" with a extra bookend content. The interface is better, the balance is a bit better in terms of equipment, the better character selection and it has a damn world map. If you've never played the games, there is no real reason to play the original.
100% this. Dissidia 012 Duodecim is the better game in virtually every way.

maybee
01-10-2016, 08:59 AM
012 because the characters felt more like their canon self's and in the original some characters like Kuja felt OOC.

Fynn
01-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Yep, pretty much. There really is no reason to play the original anymore.

Spawn of Sephiroth
01-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks. I will definately do 012 then and not waste my time on the original. Much appreciated.

Skyblade
01-10-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm going to disagree with everyone else here and say the original.

While in a lot of ways, Duodecim is better, but it also ruined my two favorite characters/playstyles.

Terra is now one of the worst characters in the game. They heavily nerfed both her range and power.

EX Mode is now completely useless. Don't bother boosting it with items or anything. It's a rare match that lasts long enough to even activate it, and it doesn't last long enough to get any real use out of if you do manage to use it. So Bartz's Goblin Punch is now worthless as well.

Wolf Kanno
01-10-2016, 04:37 PM
I'd disagree that EX-Mode is useless. While it has certainly been nerfed thanks to a few elements, it was probably for the best since battles in the original basically came down to which player could get to EX-Mode first. I totally agree that Terra got nerfed pretty bad since her range was one of the few things she had going for her.

Hollycat
01-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Even in 012 it's still possible to lock a character in the corner with Terra and hit them over and over, although a human character would have a much easier time getting away now.
In the original she was almost broken in human hands in my opinion.

Skyblade
01-10-2016, 10:49 PM
I'd disagree that EX-Mode is useless. While it has certainly been nerfed thanks to a few elements, it was probably for the best since battles in the original basically came down to which player could get to EX-Mode first. I totally agree that Terra got nerfed pretty bad since her range was one of the few things she had going for her.

In my experience, most characters didn't have an EX-Mode so game breaking that whoever got it first was guaranteed a win by any means, which is how you make it sound. There were plenty of dodge and keep away mechanics to let you play around it. But it was at least a valid mechanic.

As it is, I literally cannot remember the last time I saw EX-Mode in a fight in Duodecim. It is completely useless, because it takes way too long to charge up and activate.

Wolf Kanno
01-11-2016, 05:04 AM

In my experience, most characters didn't have an EX-Mode so game breaking that whoever got it first was guaranteed a win by any means, which is how you make it sound. There were plenty of dodge and keep away mechanics to let you play around it. But it was at least a valid mechanic.

As it is, I literally cannot remember the last time I saw EX-Mode in a fight in Duodecim. It is completely useless, because it takes way too long to charge up and activate.

That's why you manipulate the rules with the new rule system in play to make the game work for you. Even then, I never had issues getting EX Mode to work, mainly because activating Chase mode would increase the EX Gauge faster than collecting orbs. I'm just going to have to disagree as I never had much of a problem with this in either version, so it's likely my play-style circumvented this issue.