PDA

View Full Version : David Bowie died today...

Wolf Kanno
01-11-2016, 07:29 AM
David Bowie died from cancer today at the age of 69.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-bowie-dead-legendary-artist-854364
(http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-bowie-dead-legendary-artist-854364)
Thoughts?

HSH--SJKVQQ

iYYRH4apXDo

HyMm4rJemtI

B2HWuR2mq5M

Psychotic
01-11-2016, 07:39 AM
A real shame to lose such a talent. The man made some god damn fantastic music.

Sephex
01-11-2016, 07:42 AM
I just saw. Really bums me out even though I never was super into Bowie. Dude sure had a talent to reshape himself and be successful many times over. That takes massive balls in the music industry and talent. Probably going to spin a couple of his records in the coming days to honor him.

I was actually lucky enough to see the guy live. Though I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time, I caught the Nine Inch Nails/David Bowie tour back in 1995. NIN is my favorite band, so I mainly showed for NIN, but I do remember liking Bowie. They actually did a very different, but kick ass version of "Hurt". It was very unique at the time. The Johnny Cash version was 8 years away at the time.

c7_Te7iDojA

Of course, I thought he was cool in Labyrinth and as I went into High School my appreciation for his music grew. Also, LOVED all his collab stuff with NIN a couple of decades back (I'm Afraid of Americans, Lost Highway, etc.)

Bums me out, man. I didn't post in the Lemmy thread here, but that was bad (but way more expected) too.

Also, I was just watching a David Bowie special with my parents when I visited them on the 7th. The program was promoting a new album that came out on the 8th. One of the new music videos they showed was Bowie constantly shaking no matter what he was doing and struggling in bed. I thought he was just expressing how he doesn't like being old or something. I had no idea he had cancer. Video makes much more sense now.

RIP David Bowie.

EDIT: Found the new video I was talking about. Absolutely chilling now. He knew.

y-JqH1M4Ya8

Pheesh
01-11-2016, 08:17 AM
This is a big bummer. I was watching a bunch of videos from Labyrinth only last week. This was also really unexpected as I'd always marvelled at how well Bowie was aging and also had no idea he was sick. RIP :(

Bubba
01-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Obviously sad news. The man had an incredible back catalogue of music. Will definitely be playing some Bowie songs at my upcoming gigs.

Cancer is a dick.

CactuarKing
01-11-2016, 09:23 AM
End of an era.

Truly gutted.

In modern times, 69 is no age to be dying.

RIP

Midgar Mist
01-11-2016, 09:32 AM
If I could post up youtube links to his songs on this phone, I would. He's one of the few greats who I appreciated during his lifetime. He was a major influence in more than one way. Anyone who knows me, knows how much of a musical hero he was to me. It won't be the same, now he's not in the world :-(

Pike
01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Way too young :(

Crop
01-11-2016, 10:21 AM
I'm not really a huge music fan in general, there are very few artists or bands where I enjoy more than one or two songs, but he was certainly one of the exceptions. A real loss.

Shauna
01-11-2016, 01:27 PM
:(

Midgar Mist
01-11-2016, 03:42 PM
I think a thread should perhaps be dedicated to Bowie on here. Its a thought for a time after such news. I've avoided all media coverage, they can't do him justice. I watched the part of Labyrinth where he sings As The World Falls Down, a fitting tribute.

Fynn
01-11-2016, 03:59 PM
He was one of those people that you just expect to be around always. This was an incredible shock to me.

Jinx
01-11-2016, 04:10 PM
This was some fucking bullshit news to wake up to. :(

charliepanayi
01-11-2016, 04:26 PM
If there is an afterlife, hopefully he is there now adjudicating walk offs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FHGTHK8Rg

Madame Adequate
01-11-2016, 06:03 PM
This was some fucking bullshit news to wake up to. :(

I hear ya :(

Bowie was one of the greatest of the greats. His influence will be felt for... I don't even know how long. Until we stop making music, I guess.

Old Manus
01-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Shit. A bloke who you can't even imagine not being around, and one of the few musicians who's music doesn't seem to age at all.

I think a thread should perhaps be dedicated to Bowie on here.I've got some news for you...

Leigh
01-11-2016, 07:39 PM
So much has gone
and little is new
And as the sunrise stream
Flickers on me,
My friends talk
Of glory, untold dream,
where all is God and God is just a word

Madame Adequate
01-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Oh no
Not me

Lazerface
01-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Yeah. I'll miss the guy. Everyone at school seems to know. Saddened.

Freya
01-12-2016, 02:01 AM
I just saw. Really bums me out even though I never was super into Bowie. Dude sure had a talent to reshape himself and be successful many times over. That takes massive balls in the music industry and talent. Probably going to spin a couple of his records in the coming days to honor him.

I was actually lucky enough to see the guy live. Though I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time, I caught the Nine Inch Nails/David Bowie tour back in 1995. NIN is my favorite band, so I mainly showed for NIN, but I do remember liking Bowie. They actually did a very different, but kick ass version of "Hurt". It was very unique at the time. The Johnny Cash version was 8 years away at the time.

c7_Te7iDojA

Of course, I thought he was cool in Labyrinth and as I went into High School my appreciation for his music grew. Also, LOVED all his collab stuff with NIN a couple of decades back (I'm Afraid of Americans, Lost Highway, etc.)

Bums me out, man. I didn't post in the Lemmy thread here, but that was bad (but way more expected) too.

Also, I was just watching a David Bowie special with my parents when I visited them on the 7th. The program was promoting a new album that came out on the 8th. One of the new music videos they showed was Bowie constantly shaking no matter what he was doing and struggling in bed. I thought he was just expressing how he doesn't like being old or something. I had no idea he had cancer. Video makes much more sense now.

RIP David Bowie.

EDIT: Found the new video I was talking about. Absolutely chilling now. He knew.

y-JqH1M4Ya8

Wow that new video, that is so chilling.

I'm so sad. :(

jenovajunkie
01-12-2016, 02:30 AM
What's up with Rock Stars dying? RIP David Bowie (what about Lemmy from Motorhead?)

Colonel Angus
01-12-2016, 04:47 AM
hQDG6kjMgoA
ub2l1N_IJig

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Two really cool articles on Bowie I found today.

http://uproxx.com/smokingsection/david-bowie-mtv-black-artists-interview-video/the problem with MTV in the early days.thet
(http://uproxx.com/smokingsection/david-bowie-mtv-black-artists-interview-video/)
http://uproxx.com/music/david-bowie-brixton-hometown-crowd-sings/

Shiny
01-13-2016, 08:03 AM
I've only been truly saddened by two celebrities deaths: Michael Jackson and David Bowie. Their deaths came as a shock to me. I feel selfishly robbed, but they left a wealth of great music and videos. Like when Michael died I'll probably spend a majority of my time listening to him and watching as those are the only things that will give me comfort.

Midgar Mist
01-13-2016, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSPTHa_rak
Here's how I remember Bowie the best