PDA

View Full Version : Adventures of Mana: what we know

Fynn
01-11-2016, 08:16 AM
http://cdn.tigthai.com/uploads/201601/09/05718040014523115004293_Adventures-of-Mana-main.jpg

Back in 2003, Square Enix rereleased the first entry in the Mana series. Originally released in 1991 as Seiken Densetsu in Japan, as it made its way to the West, it was published as Final Fantasy Adventure to boost sales. The 2003 remake, called Sword of Mana, made many alterations to the original. Not only was the art style completely revamped to look more similar to Legend of Mana, but the battle system was also very different, and many characters were given vastly different personalities and roles in the story. The biggest addition was probably the option to play as a female character, whose story was completely different than that of the male hero's. While not a bad game at all, the changes made did not sit well with a lot of fans, who were hoping for a more faithful remake of their beloved Gameboy game.

Their prayers were heard when Square Enix recently announced that the game will be getting another remake. Adventures of Mana is said to be much more faithful to the original, only this time, we're getting full 3D graphics. The game is confirmed for a Western release and you can veiw the official English website here (http://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken/en/), but while the Japanese announcement was for mobile devices and the PS Vita, the PS logo is nowhere to be found on the English website – a shame, considering the Vita could use the additional SE title.

Are you excited for Adventures of Mana? Did you enjoy Sword of Mana? Let us know!

Vyk
01-11-2016, 02:47 PM
I pirated a Mana game on GBA where you could choose between a boy and a girl. But I didn't get the impression it was a remake of the original, and their paths eventually crossed. I didn't beat it but really enjoyed what I played. The Mana games are very hit and miss with me. I enjoyed the first SNES one enough but even then it felt primitive when I had FFVI and Chrono Trigger as well. And I hated Legend of Mana... but I can be hopeful this will inspire a new and good game in the series I can enjoy. Maybe they'll give some attention to the third entry and bring it west

Fynn
01-11-2016, 02:56 PM
The game you're talking about is actually Sword of Mana and yes, it is a remake of this.

Del Murder
01-11-2016, 05:47 PM
I never played the original FF Adventure (SD1) but I did play the Sword of Mana remake and it was just ok. However, I loved Secret of Mana (SD2) and it's one of my favorite SNES games. I tried to start the SD3 translation on PC but a game like that feels like it should be played on a console. I know I could set the PC up for that but that's too much work. So I've always been disappointed when I see Mana news and it's just another remake of the first game when they've done nothing with the superior second and third games for years.

Mirage
01-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Will i get action RPG gameplay with multiple class advancements and cute characters? Those are the only questions important to me.

Bastian
01-11-2016, 09:44 PM
I pirated a Mana game on GBA where you could choose between a boy and a girl. But I didn't get the impression it was a remake of the original, and their paths eventually crossed.

That game you're describing was Sword of Mana which was the second remake of Final Fantasy Adventure (the first one was for mobile phones and was just a colorized/16-bit-ized version of the Game Boy version).

So, yeah, that one you played was a remake of this same game. :D

Will i get action RPG gameplay with multiple class advancements and cute characters? Those are the only questions important to me.
If it is as faithful a remake as they're saying/showing it will be be... no, no class advancements at all.

Also of interest is that the producer has said that if Adventures in Mana sells well, they will release an SD3 remake (which means they're already working on it) and maybe even a Secret of Mana remake. And that they haven't given up on the new Mana game (Seiken Densetsu 5).

Mirage
01-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Did you forget what the edit button did during your long absence? :p

Also of interest is that the producer has said that if Adventures in Mana sells well, they will release an SD3 remake (which means they're already working on it) and maybe even a Secret of Mana remake. And that they haven't given up on the new Mana game (Seiken Densetsu 5).

Yay, ransomware!

Fynn
01-11-2016, 10:11 PM
... and he's gone. Good job, Mirage.

FFNut
01-12-2016, 05:50 PM
I was looking for a new game to try so I just downloaded the Sword of mana version on GBA.