PDA

View Full Version : Do I miss out on anything?

Mahad
01-12-2016, 01:17 AM
I have the ps2 discs for X and X-2, but I haven't finished X and never started X-2. I'm thinking of disposing of them since I figure I'll play the newer HD versions rather than going back to finish the old games. Do I miss out on anything? Meaning, are there elements of the story that have been changed in the HD release from the original versions, or dungeons, or what have you, that I won't find on the HD ports? I'm mostly concern about whether or not the HD ports removes important stuff from the older versions. Also, would you guys recommend the ps3 or ps4 version of the HD release?

Ergroilnin
01-12-2016, 02:25 AM
HD versions are in all aspects superior to the originals.

Vermachtnis
01-12-2016, 02:35 AM
The HD adds things. Unless you live in a place that got the international release. As for PS3 or 4, I think they're the same so get the cheaper one. I got the Vita one.

CactuarKing
01-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Nothing missed, in fact you gain extras such as new music (you can still listen to the original music) and upscaled/remastered graphics.

fat_moogle
01-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Nothing missed, in fact you gain extras such as new music (you can still listen to the original music) and upscaled/remastered graphics.
I think you only get the option of the old / new soundtrack in the PS4 version.

Fynn
01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
In any case, the new soundtrack is infinitely better.

Ayen
01-13-2016, 10:27 PM
If you're unsure I'd keep the PS2 copy until I got the HD Remaster and then sell whichever version you like least.

CactuarKing
01-14-2016, 08:33 AM
The PS2 version will always have a special place in my heart, but the PS4 version is just as good.

The only drawback, no cheating available on PS4. On my3rd/4th playthrough on PS2, an action replay cartridge would help to keep me entertained with some fun cheats.

That said, I have not missed them on PS4. The experience is mostly as I remember, just seems easier. For example:

The first blitzball game on PS2 was very hard, nigh on impossible to beat, and would take numerous resets even with Jecht Shot as far too much luck was involved. I would at most win by 1 or 2 goals on the very best and luckiest of runs.

On PS4, after not playing this game for around 4/5 years, I beat the Luca Goers 4-0. It was 2-0 at half time and then subsequently I scored 2 more. From this I can only surmise that they have rebalanced some things/made them easier so as not to alienate newer players?? I would never have won this game 4-0 on PS2!!!

Bubba
01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
On PS4, after not playing this game for around 4/5 years, I beat the Luca Goers 4-0. It was 2-0 at half time and then subsequently I scored 2 more. From this I can only surmise that they have rebalanced some things/made them easier so as not to alienate newer players?? I would never have won this game 4-0 on PS2!!![/SPOILER]

I thought they changed this!

I remember playing the match at least 3 or 4 times before sneaking a 2-1 win (Wakka with the winning goal :D) on the PS2. I think I won something like 3-0 on my PS Vita playthrough.

Fynn
01-14-2016, 09:58 AM
Yeah, that thing was much easier on the Vita than on PS2

Zanmato
01-15-2016, 04:55 PM
On PS4, after not playing this game for around 4/5 years, I beat the Luca Goers 4-0. It was 2-0 at half time and then subsequently I scored 2 more. From this I can only surmise that they have rebalanced some things/made them easier so as not to alienate newer players?? I would never have won this game 4-0 on PS2!!![/SPOILER]

I thought they changed this!

I remember playing the match at least 3 or 4 times before sneaking a 2-1 win (Wakka with the winning goal :D) on the PS2. I think I won something like 3-0 on my PS Vita playthrough.

I'm glad they changed it! :D
However, I'm sad because I've never won the first match... :cry:

Midgar Mist
01-16-2016, 05:46 PM
I have the ps2 discs for X and X-2, but I haven't finished X and never started X-2. I'm thinking of disposing of them since I figure I'll play the newer HD versions rather than going back to finish the old games. Do I miss out on anything? Meaning, are there elements of the story that have been changed in the HD release from the original versions, or dungeons, or what have you, that I won't find on the HD ports? I'm mostly concern about whether or not the HD ports removes important stuff from the older versions. Also, would you guys recommend the ps3 or ps4 version of the HD release?

My opinion: Stick with the PS2 version. Square Enix don't know the meaning of the phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it". To commemorate the remaster, they also decided to ruin the storyline with the novella 'Eien No Daisho' and the taped story 'Will'. The story ended well on PS2 version X-2 in my opinion, then the game makers, obviously suffering from some kind of collective head injury, decided to "flog a dead horse". Square Enix cannot let "sleeping dogs lie."

It is of course up to you but if you are driven mad by story based issues (like I am) stick with PS2 versions and deny the existence of anything more.

maybee
01-16-2016, 11:50 PM
If you are European, then no, you haven't missed out on anything; but if you are American then you can now do -the Dark Aeons, a extra more complicated sphere grid, and there's Penance. So there's extra boss challenges you can have with the HD version there that the Americans originally missed out on with the original FF X PS2.

Soft paw
01-17-2016, 04:02 PM

You can play the HD versions with the original musics ?
I have only completed the ps2 versions, I bought the HD version for ps4 a few days ago.

I love the original sound tracks so I am really disappointed they changed them in the HD version.

CactuarKing
01-18-2016, 09:17 AM

You can play the HD versions with the original musics ?
I have only completed the ps2 versions, I bought the HD version for ps4 a few days ago.

I love the original sound tracks so I am really disappointed they changed them in the HD version.

Yes, you can choose original or newly arranged music in the menu.