PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Horror Movie

Midgar Mist
01-12-2016, 04:12 AM
Through a series of boyfriends and male friends alike I was introduced to such horrors as the Halloween films, Stephen King's IT, and Freddy vs. Jason. None of which I would have been able to watch without burrowing my head in a strong shoulder of maleness.
So over to you, horror films: best, worst and can anyone tell me if they were actually stupid enough to make more Halloween films after the 8 I saw? Much appreciated.

krissy
01-12-2016, 05:12 AM
alien

Pheesh
01-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Pike
01-12-2016, 10:19 AM
I dunno if The Others counts as a horror movie or if it's more of a suspense but either way I like it a lot

Bubba
01-12-2016, 10:25 AM

1408 is a great film. I love the scene with John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson near the start.

I've never actually thought about this. I suppose if we count sci-fi horror then I'd have to go with Alien too.

Midgar Mist
01-12-2016, 04:38 PM
I've seen the Alien Quadrology, for me the film franchise loses it way somewhere near the end of Alien 3, although the 4th one had its moments

So..............Halloween films? Dare I ask. Is the unkillable Michael Myers still on the loose? We thought she beheaded him in H2O dammit! Then 8? How in the name of all sanctity could they convincingly kill him off after that?

Slothy
01-12-2016, 04:56 PM
I never even watched the one after H20. Since then there were two remakes by Rob Zombie that were good and decent respectively. There haven't been any straight up sequels to the original movies since resurrection to my knowledge.

As far as my favourite, i could pick something classic like Alien but I'll give some love to the Evil Dead remake since Alien will undoubtedly get a lot of love in this thread. Evil Dead is just a wonderful, practical effects driven piece of work that really gets the old blood lust up.

Crop
01-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Alien, The Thing and A Nightmare on Elm Street are probably my all time favourites, just thinking off the top of my head.

The Halloween remakes were awful. Really bad.

Jinx
01-12-2016, 05:37 PM
I dunno if The Others counts as a horror movie or if it's more of a suspense but either way I like it a lot

I'd say suspense is kind of a sub-genre of horror anyways. Also, this is a great movie.

Probably my FAVORITE horror movie is House on Haunted Hill, though.

Midgar Mist
01-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Alien, The Thing and A Nightmare on Elm Street are probably my all time favourites, just thinking off the top of my head.

The Halloween remakes were awful. Really bad.

They shouldn't have made anything after H2O, the story ended there with Jamie Lee Curtis beheading him. Then, they bring it back and it turns out he found a way to survive? Then he kills her? No way should they have done that.

6 was good, they gave Myers more of a back story as to why he was the way he was (it was sweetend by an early Paul Rudd appearance)

escobert
01-12-2016, 06:17 PM
I have no idea, I've never been much of a horror fan.

Shorty
01-12-2016, 07:00 PM
I don't know. It changes. 28 Days Later for actual terror, Dracula for classic horror.

Crop
01-12-2016, 07:03 PM
I don't know. It changes. 28 Days Later for actual terror, Dracula for classic horror.

Forgot about 28 Days Later. There was a time years ago when I only owned 3 DVDs and that was one of them, I've probably watched it more times than most movies I've seen.

Jinx
01-12-2016, 07:05 PM
I also forgot to mention Thirteen Ghosts!

Shorty
01-12-2016, 07:07 PM

Forgot about 28 Days Later. There was a time years ago when I only owned 3 DVDs and that was one of them, I've probably watched it more times than most movies I've seen.

It's great. There are a lot of movies that I see that I will get really into and will scare me as I'm watching them, but after they're over I realize that the plot/story/everything was really dumb.

I recently saw It Follows on recommendation that it was one of the best/better horror films of the past few years and was disappointed in how little I cared about it.

Also, I guess I would say The Babadook, even though I feel weird saying that because I find it charming.

Jinx
01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Ah yeah, The Babadook! I had a lot of fun watching that one with you, Shorty. xD I like how it's like...both terrifying but also really, really deep.

Midgar Mist
01-12-2016, 07:24 PM
I have no idea, I've never been much of a horror fan.

I wasn't until my ex- boyfriends plonked me in front of a horror flick (with their strong arms and all...)

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Psycho, Vertigo, A Tale of Two Sister, Ju-on, Alien, Evil Dead series, and In the Mouth of Madness. None of these movies are necessarily scary but they have really good stories that make you think or good effects.

Omni-Odin
01-12-2016, 07:44 PM
The Thing with Kurt Russell for me. It's the only one I can still watch from any point and thoroughly enjoy it. I was big into horror when I was young and watched everything I could plenty of times. I could quote some of the dumbest Halloween and Friday the 13th moments right now lol. But I won't. There are some great horror films that I admire and are terrifying, but nothing made my skin crawl or felt more like a great survival adventure than The Thing. 10/10 two thumbs up

More on the list would include:

Jaws, Alien, Scream (while not Oscar-worthy, I don't care, scared the crap out of me when I was young), Haunting, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead,....there's more, just can't put them together right now.

Spuuky
01-12-2016, 09:25 PM
The Japanese version of One Missed Call

Psychotic
01-12-2016, 10:05 PM
The Shining, The Thing and The Birds. For more modern horror, I really enjoyed the feeling of dread Oculus created and if you can believe it I only watched the Saw movies for the first time at Halloween last year. The series went downhill but the first one really captured my imagination.

As a kid my favourites were the 90's teen slasher flicks of the day that haven't aged well as pieces of horror but are still good fun.

Shorty
01-12-2016, 10:52 PM
The Shining

I rewatched The Shining a few months ago and realized that I only care about the last forty minutes of it. Could do without the other hour forty, but the last bit is intense enough to make it great.

edit: Is High Tension considered horror? Because that is on my list, too.

Mr. Carnelian
01-12-2016, 11:54 PM
I'm not really much of a horror fan, and I don't watch it that much. A lot of the time, I just can't take them seriously. I was laughing all the way through Insidious, and Paranormal Activity was just hilariously bad. The spoofs did it better, and they were a lot more entertaining.

But, I did really like The Babadook. Another one I saw this year that you might call horror was a sci-fi thriller called Pandorum.

Shorty
01-13-2016, 12:11 AM
I saw Pandorum. I wanted to like it, but I did not. I can't take Dennis Quaid seriously. I did think the twist was cool but it was too Planet of the Apes. You can't do that with sci fi anymore. It's against the rules.

Bri
01-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Best horror film " House on haunted hill"
Worst horror film " Insidious 1 and 2 " ( boring for me, I wasn't even spooked )

Shorty
01-13-2016, 12:51 AM
Worst horror film " Insidious 1 and 2 " ( boring for me, I wasn't even spooked )

Do you mean the 1959 one with Vincent Price? If you, you are great! If not, you're still great, but I choose the 1959 one.

Midgar Mist
01-13-2016, 12:57 AM
I've seen The Shining and the unsettling Delores Claibourne on my own terms. At one point in my life I could watch anything Stephen King based films had to offer, except for It, then he says to me "come on watch it" so I did and realised I'd been scared of something I'd built up in my head. He did the same for me with The Exorcist

Bri
01-13-2016, 01:28 AM

Do you mean the 1959 one with Vincent Price? If you, you are great! If not, you're still great, but I choose the 1959 one.

Hmmm, I don't think I've seen the 1959 one, I will have to then! :) I meant the 1999 one that stars Ali Larter.

Labella
01-13-2016, 01:41 AM
My most recent one. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOgC_YUyTYs)

Scotty_ffgamer
01-13-2016, 04:06 AM
edit: Is High Tension considered horror? Because that is on my list, too.

I've actually been really wanting to rewatch High Tension lately. It's definitely one of my favorites even though I've only had the chance to see it once. Few films had made me feel as tense as this one throughout, so the title is pretty fitting too!

Suspiria is definitely one of my favorites as well. I could definitely see why others wouldn't like it, but I think the movie has a really interesting aesthetic throughout. The dance school actually looks pretty similar to a location I used to have nightmares about as a kid too, and everything about the way characters talk and act as well as the set design just makes everything feel very dreamlike and unsettling to me.

It's hard to decide on all of my favorites as I've enjoyed pretty much all of the horror movies I've watched (which is helped by the fact that I had a friend with very similar horror tastes suggesting me movies). The Shining, The Thing, Halloween 1 and 2, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Innkeepers, Evil Dead, Alien, Night of the Living Dead, Zombi, American Werewolf in London... there's too many to list and I like all of them for different reasons. I still haven't found a movie that particularly scares me though... and I'd love to do that someday.

I must say my favorites are probably the Universal classic monster movies just because they are a ton of fun. They aren't really scary, but I'm always in the mood to watch them. I really need to get my hands on those someday.

Shiny
01-13-2016, 05:45 AM
Night of the Living Dead is not only my favorite horror film but it's one of the most important films to date. It's shaped the horror culture in so many ways. If Nosferatu brought on the vampire movement you can be damn well sure Night of the Living Dead brought on the zombie movement. The subtext of racism and human decay have a lasting imprint and it's one that's important to me. I think the one that's probably the most significant is The Exorcist though but it's never been my cup of tea. I also really enjoy almost anything adapted originally from Stephen King: Thinner, The Shining, The Mist, etc. Great films, even though The Shining was not a direct adaptation of The Shining as it was originally written.

Bubba
01-13-2016, 11:10 AM
The Thing is a good call too Omni-Odin! Really good mix of psychological and graphic horror.

Watched The Babadook last night. I really enjoyed it! It's unusual for a horror film not to have a single person die in it.

Unfortunately, both of these films should be condemned as no movie is forgiven for killing a dog. I'm also looking at you I am Legend :colbert:

Sephiroth
01-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Ring
Event Horizon - Edge of the Universe

Foo
01-13-2016, 05:37 PM
The Thing with Kurt Russell for me. It's the only one I can still watch from any point and thoroughly enjoy it. I was big into horror when I was young and watched everything I could plenty of times. I could quote some of the dumbest Halloween and Friday the 13th moments right now lol. But I won't. There are some great horror films that I admire and are terrifying, but nothing made my skin crawl or felt more like a great survival adventure than The Thing. 10/10 two thumbs up

This. John Carpenter's 1982 "The Thing" is undoubtedly one of my two favorite horror films of all time. Even if you take the whole shapeshifting Alien out of it ( which you shouldn't, its mesmerizing ) the setting of Antarctica is so isolated and unsettling in itself.

My other favorite is of course Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining". Truly a movie that fills you with dread and really gets your mind going.

Formalhaut
01-13-2016, 06:39 PM
I'm really not into horror, I'm afraid. This sounds rather obvious and wussy, but I'm too scared and I can't say I'm ever in the mood to be scared.

Omni-Odin
01-13-2016, 09:01 PM
I'm really not into horror, I'm afraid. This sounds rather obvious and wussy, but I'm too scared and I can't say I'm ever in the mood to be scared.

:skull::skull::tonberry::tonberry: BOO!!!!!

Ayen
01-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Horror isn't really my genre. Too squirmish, though I managed to sit through Alien all right. I didn't really consider it horror while watching it for some reason, But things like The Ring or The Grudge are things I want nothing to do with. Which is weird because I played plenty of horror games without much trouble.

Rocket Edge
01-14-2016, 02:09 PM
'The Blair Witch Project' is by far the best horror movie I've seen. Does comedy horror count? I'll throw Shawn of the Dead in there as well. :-)

Night Fury
01-14-2016, 02:22 PM
I enjoyed the Insidious series, Sinister was also quite good. I like a lot of horror movies, The Conjuring was great

Slothy
01-14-2016, 04:57 PM
'The Blair Witch Project' is by far the best horror movie I've seen. Does comedy horror count? I'll throw Shawn of the Dead in there as well. :-)

You might be the first person I've known to actually like Blair Witch. It bored the hell out of me.

Shorty
01-14-2016, 05:02 PM
I like Blair Witch. The hand-held filming was a ground-breaking characteristic for the genre when it was first released. It scared the shit out of me when I saw it for the first time.

Bri
01-14-2016, 07:46 PM

Yes! Blair Witch! I watched Blair Witch 2 and it was not even scary.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Blair Witch was great for me. i watched it super late at night and then went on a walk with my college roommates in the woods right afterwards. It made everything just that much more creepy about the movie I think. My roommates kept freaking out because they thought they heard noises that sounded like the Blair Witch and we had some other creepy encounter stuff.

Pheesh
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
I used to live next to a massive pine forest that we would go camping in all the time when I watched Blair Witch. That, combined with how young I was, really made that film scary for me. I haven't watched it recently though, dunno if it would still scare me.

Slothy
01-14-2016, 10:05 PM
The found footage style was definitely original at the time, it just didn't do anything for me. Pretty much nothing actually happens. Even my sister was bored when she saw it and she was 8 or 9 at the time and we played in the woods all the time. Luckily that style has been done a lot better since.

Pumpkin
01-14-2016, 10:15 PM
I get very scared at horror movies and games, but that's fun in it's own way. I just need someone to accompany me everywhere afterwards though. I can't play horror games because being involved in the scary is too much for me, but I can watch them being played!

I think my favourite horror movies is probably The Ring. If we include thrillers (which I personally much prefer) then maybe The Game

Labella
01-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Another of my favourites would be the Hostel movies. I've only watched 1 and 2, 2 being my favourite. These movies are not for the faint-hearted.

Ju-on and I saw the Devil are other personal favourites.

Shorty
01-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Hostel made me really uncomfortable, and I wanted to care about Ju-on but I had already seen The Grudge, which lessened the impact for me ;~;

I forgot about The Last Exorcism. I found it really disturbing. But topping the line of disturbing horror is Audition and Martyrs. The most gruesome and disturbing movies I've ever seen in my entire life.

BreakfastGrilledCheese
01-16-2016, 12:25 AM
The Shining and Rosemary's Baby are among my favorites, but my list of seen horror films is quite short cause I'm a wimp when it comes to scary things.

starlet
01-16-2016, 02:06 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnqt1AJswuOyoyk/giphy.gif

Also babadook. Babadook was amazing.

Bri
01-16-2016, 05:01 AM
I'd like to add in Rob Zombie's The devil's rejects as well!

Shiny
01-16-2016, 06:57 AM
I like Blair Witch. The hand-held filming was a ground-breaking characteristic for the genre when it was first released. It scared the trout out of me when I saw it for the first time.

Blair Witch was okay but I found it a bit boring as well. It brought on the era of found footage horror films like VHS and Creep which IMO did a better job at it especially VHS. I am a horror nerd, so this topic is the tits. And Haute Tension is definitely horror -- technically horror/thriller like Psycho which is another one of my favorites.

The most recent horror films I watched were The Hunger and ABCs of Death. The later had some of the most disturbing and/or bizarre things I've ever seen. I was appalled, so naturally I watched the sequel.

And to anyone who cares, I met George Romero and took a few pics with him. Shook his hand and chatted him a bit. That was over 4 years ago I think. I hope he's in good health. Him and Spielberg are like top five in my
list of favorite directors, so to meet both of them was a blessing.

krissy
01-16-2016, 07:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dooAjI6yOhg

Christmas
06-15-2022, 01:51 PM
The Ring (Original Jap Version)