PDA

View Full Version : There appears to have been a fusion accident

Fynn
01-13-2016, 09:59 AM
So apparently, Illusory Revelations #FE has done really, really poorly (http://personacentral.com/genei-ibun-roku-fe-debuts-with-poor-sales-in-japan/) in Japan, commercially speaking. Of course, I can't really speak of the game's flaws or merits, since I haven't played it, but really, I am not at all surprised this didn't do well.

I mean, at the very beginning fans were promised a crossover between MegaTen and Fire Emblem, and what the trailers have showcased really didn't deliver on that. Not only did it look like the only SMT elements in it were battle system elements, but even many FE fans were alienated by the modern setting and focus on bubbly idols.

At this point I wonder if this is still going to make its way to the West, though really, I don't think I care. This is the only game I have ever waited for that has diminished my interest in it with every trailer.

Vyk
01-13-2016, 04:23 PM
I'm still interested to see what came of it. I'd also be more interested to see what critics think. And I find it kind of odd for that site to compare just two days of sale to what appears to be other games' week of sales. The fact that Mario Kart and Zelda something (I forget its name) sold even less by comparison kind of kills the point they were trying to make

But I do understand the fan reaction. They probably should have mentioned at some point what changed in their development mentality that they decided to only sprinkle some Fire Emblem and SMT elements and stopped trying to do a legitimate crossover. The fans feel alienated and ignored. People still seem to be saying the game is pretty good if you can get past the disappointment and idolpop stuff. I'm still willing to give it a try once I get a WiiU, if its still coming over

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2016, 06:45 AM

http://36.media.tumblr.com/05dbff3ff7a203de67669e14fabc48be/tumblr_nm7y2uMwHq1qis82bo1_1280.png

It will be interesting to see how the game fares in Japan, but I'm not sure how well it will do oversees. It may actually do better over here if only because RPGs are not exactly a common genre on the Wii U at the moment so maybe it will have the same luck as Symphonia.

It may still be a solid game, but I agree with Fynn that the subject matter of the story doesn't really appeal to me. I was kind of hoping for more of a direct crossover, and I was a bit sad when I learned that the Devil Survivor Team was making this game instead of the main team. I may play it in the future, but its not exactly a priority for me.

Vermachtnis
01-14-2016, 09:07 AM
I've seen some gameplay and I didn't really see any FE or SMT outside of some cameo stuff and character design. I mean the characters themselves DO look lifted out of a Fire Emblem and the battle system looks very MegaTen. So its probably one of those things where it would have been better received without the name, but wouldn't have sold as well.

Fynn
01-14-2016, 09:13 AM
I agree that it would have been better for a title had it been not related to the two series. I actually think it could have sold better, since fans expecting a proper crossover from this would not have had their hopes raised and dashed, and instead they could just be interested in the concept itself.