PDA

View Full Version : Taking a 180

Night Fury
01-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Anyone ever made a drastic change in their life? Might be you've changed careers or moved house or something... Anything that is just completely different towhere you saw your life heading.

I'm currently in the process of having a complete career change from wanting to go into journalism/writing to hairdressing. I am honestly so excited and I hope it will be easy enough to transition and train! Eeeeeeeeeh! :love:

I thought my parents might have been a bit disappointed that I would go into this field but they're surprisingly really supportive and proud of me for making a decision and being proactive about it. 2016 is going to be good :)

Leigh
01-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Can I have first dibs on your journalism job?

Night Fury
01-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Sure I mean I never had one cos there aren't any so..... Yeah haha

Leigh
01-14-2016, 11:29 AM
So it's not so much changing careers, but giving up on your dreams. Keep writing, but make bucks'o'plenty with hair styling. Maybe you might write for a fashion magazine one day if you keep up your skills and passion!

Pumpkin
01-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Let's see, left an abusive relationship, moved countries, and decided to go in to a whole new career field which will take many many years of schooling, so...

yep

starlet
01-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Well, when I was in highschool and just after graduation I really wanted to be a character designer. Tetsuya Nomura was a huge inspiration for me. Sadly I'm a horrible academic and my mom actually suggested that I try dog grooming out of the blue. I did, almost 10 years later I haven't looked back. I still draw for fun but I'm glad it wasn't a career choice. I have no idea where I'd be now, probably in a shit retail job...

Crop
01-14-2016, 02:40 PM
No I only do 360's, when I bust my moves on the dance floor. Sometimes even 720's.

Psychotic
01-14-2016, 03:38 PM
You can practice on my hair if you want.

Fynn
01-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Aren;t you bald? You look bald. You sound bald.

Shorty
01-14-2016, 05:17 PM
I do every few years when I move to a new place. Pursuing a career as an entertainer has been a drastic change in for me in both my creativity and social life and is something I never thought I'd do.

You sound like you'd be fun at parties.

Psychotic
01-14-2016, 05:19 PM
Aren;t you bald? You look bald. You sound bald.Yes. (http://thatsthejoke.net/)

Del Murder
01-14-2016, 06:38 PM
I don't have enough ambition or courage to make that kind of change, though I've sometimes thought about it. For the most part though, I have a pretty awesome life that I wouldn't even want to change.

Colonel Angus
01-15-2016, 01:39 AM
I went from being a writer to the job I'm working @ now, which has nothing to do w/ writing. I honestly don't know where this career will take me, I just go one day @ a time.

I do every few years days when I move to a new place. Pursuing a career as an entertainer has been a drastic change in for me in both my creativity and social life and is something I never thought I'd do.

Edited for accuracy. :p

I don't have enough ambition or courage to make that kind of change, though I've sometimes thought about it. For the most part though, I have a pretty awesome life that I wouldn't even want to change.

What if the Raiders leave Oakland?

Ayen
01-15-2016, 04:29 AM
I cut soda and chips out of my diet completely and only drink water. The result is me being the healthiest I've ever been in my entire life.

So, yeah.

Shiny
01-16-2016, 07:09 AM
All of my drastic changes are completely internal with the exception of moving.

How does one sound bald? Racist.

Fynn
01-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Idk Psy just sounds bald. Maybe it's the avatar? I've honestly never seen a single picture of him. His posts just have this bald... quality

You know, there was one time when some people wanted me to drop everything and just go to the music academy and become a contratenor, because there's like three in Poland. I don't really regret declining that opportunity, but I do sometimes wonder what my life would look like then.

Sometimes I think about starting a YouTube channel, or going to film school or music theatre or something but, like Del, I think I kind of lack that courage. Pursuing what I'm pursuing now is pretty involving as it is, so I wouldn't even really wanna give up on it and just do a 180, because I know that if I did that, I would regret abandoning this. And who knows - maybe someday I can make something big with it.

Psychotic
01-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Oh you want to see a pic of me? sure look at this very recent thread i made http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/121703-The-Levian-Face-challenge!

Ayen
01-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Sometimes I think about starting a YouTube channel, or going to film school or music theatre or something but, like Del, I think I kind of lack that courage. Pursuing what I'm pursuing now is pretty involving as it is, so I wouldn't even really wanna give up on it and just do a 180, because I know that if I did that, I would regret abandoning this. And who knows - maybe someday I can make something big with it.

Oh, yeah. Add the revisions to my YouTube channel to the list. There was a time where I wouldn't even show pictures of myself, let alone entire video footage with my voice to boot. Now I do it on the weekly basis. The experience have been pretty amazing and has boosted my confidence and self image to heights I wouldn't have thought possible before.

Mr. Carnelian
01-18-2016, 05:46 PM
I don't know if this really counts, but throughout my early and mid teens I was convinced I was going to become a scientist. Right up until I started A-level, science was what I was aiming for, and literature was just something I studied for fun. Now, here I am doing an English Lit degree.

I think it links quite closely to a fundamental change in my viewpoint. I used to be a hard-line atheist empiricist. Everything had to add up and be quantifiable. I enjoyed literature and poetry, and even had an academic interest in religion and philosophy, but I didn't think it really had anything worthwhile to say about truth or reality. Then, at some point at around about 16 or so, all that fuzzy, mystical stuff which I had before dismissed as irrelevant started to make sense, whilst all the equations and numbers made less and less sense. From being top of my class in Physics, Biology and Chemistry up till then, I got a D at A-level. The numbers just didn't fit like they used to, and not just academically. Science was no longer the absolute explanation it once was. It was if I saw the world with new eyes.

I hardly recognise that hard-line, atheist empiricist now. I see the world so differently to how I did then. I still have a keen amateur interest in science, but it's no longer the be-all and end-all which it was. It's just one way of looking at the world, not the only way.