PDA

View Full Version : Instincts

Bri
01-15-2016, 08:09 AM
My thread is about instincts and what do you do about it. Do you ignore it or act upon it. I always try and follow my instincts, most of the time I make good decisions based on following them. I tend to observe alot and sometimes I get hunches and my instincts kick in and it's up to me if I'll do something about it. I've avoided accidents and getting into some kind of chaos or trouble bcause of it. How about you EOFF members? Would you care to share and explain about any of your experiences?

blackmage_nuke
01-15-2016, 08:27 AM
I tend to second guess myself more often than not

Bubba
01-15-2016, 09:32 AM
I have good instincts in terms of physical reflexes. In terms of instinctive feelings though I tend not to trust them too much. I think people who trust their instincts too much are more likely to display signs of prejudice.

Fynn
01-15-2016, 09:42 AM
I tend to rationalize stuff more often than follow my gut feeling, but it's not like I ignore my instincts - I take them into account, but ultimately, I have to consider the consequences first. That said, I think I have good instincts when it comes to people and, uh... swimming, if that doesn't sound weird. I'm much worse in assessing other physical stuff and I'm pretty clumsy.

Vasher
01-15-2016, 09:58 AM
I would say that I have made good calls based on my instincts, but more often than not, it just boils down to being very perceptive. My wife, on the other hand, has absolutely uncanny instincts, as in "extra sensory". This really started after our first child, seems to get "stronger" with each.

BreakfastGrilledCheese
01-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Mmmm. I'm a clutz and second guess myself many, many times. I don't think I have keen instincts.

Bri
01-15-2016, 10:34 PM
I would say that I have made good calls based on my instincts, but more often than not, it just boils down to being very perceptive. My wife, on the other hand, has absolutely uncanny instincts, as in "extra sensory". This really started after our first child, seems to get "stronger" with each.

True!

Ayen
01-16-2016, 05:11 AM
I tend to second guess myself more often than not

This. And my first gut feeling usually turns out to be correct.

escobert
01-16-2016, 05:47 AM
I tend to second guess myself, but I try to stick to my instinct if I can.

Mirage
01-16-2016, 06:38 AM
Hunches aren't instincts though, they're just subconscious reactions on things you have experienced, while instinct is behavior that isn't learned, such as toddlers trying to climb things (remnants from our very distant ancestors), crawling, crying to get attention, and so on.

That said, I sometimes act on hunches, but not often.

Bri
01-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Hunches aren't instincts though, they're just subconscious reactions on things you have experienced, while instinct is behavior that isn't learned, such as toddlers trying to climb things (remnants from our very distant ancestors), crawling, crying to get attention, and so on.

Yes, I understand that. What I meant was, get a hunch and then my instincts kick in to act upon it.

Crop
01-17-2016, 12:33 AM
I'll usually second and even third guess myself...that said, no I don't often....well yeah maybe I do.