PDA

View Full Version : [XIII] Did You Actually Use the Eidolons?

Forsaken Lover
01-15-2016, 07:15 PM
For me, as annoying as the gimmick fights were, the really annoying thing about XIII's eidolons is that I HAD to endure these gimmick fights for stupid things I'd never, ever actually use. The description made them sound entirely too complicated and what's more they were completely superfluous.

But I was thinking I might give them another shot since I plan to replay XIII once I'm done with my current game.

But what about you all?

Karifean
01-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Really they're mainly good for healing your party back to 100% when you summon them. Which I gotta admit is pretty damn nice though.

Formalhaut
01-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Really they're mainly good for healing your party back to 100% when you summon them. Which I gotta admit is pretty damn nice though.

Yeah, that's basically the primary use of eidolons. Having said that, you can use Sazh and his eidolon to defeat an admantoise far earlier than you are expected to. But offensively? They're never normally worth it. If there's a super powerful attack that will wipe your entire party, you could emergency summon an eidolon to take the hit (when your party leader is defeated while their eidolon is on the field, they cast arise to get them back to health). Still, you would have to be doing badly to get to that sort of situation.

Shiva95
01-16-2016, 01:37 PM
I rarely used them, and when I used them it was more to heal my party.

Karifean
01-16-2016, 01:43 PM
If there's a super powerful attack that will wipe your entire party, you could emergency summon an eidolon to take the hit (when your party leader is defeated while their eidolon is on the field, they cast arise to get them back to health).

Even better, if the attack hits while you're in your "summoning animation" (just before the cutscene) you dodge it entirely, which I believe is a vital strategy in No Crystarium playthroughs. Apparently you're completely invulnerable during that period of time.

Sefie1999AD
01-20-2016, 01:27 AM
I use Eidolons for reviving and healing the party if I'm about to lose. When I'm not strong enough to fight the Adamantoises "fairly", I use Eidolons to destroy the enemy's legs. As for other uses, status ailments are a major problem in the battle against Orphan's 1st form. If I ever have trouble with status ailments there, and especially if the main character gets poisoned, I summon an Eidolon immediately to heal everyone's status. It's even better if you've poisoned the boss before summoning the Eidolon, as the poison really drains the life out of him while the Eidolon is keeping him busy.

TastyRancidLemons
04-24-2016, 06:51 PM
I actually did use Eidolons for the first half of the game.
In fact, Odin make Cid Raines, a supposedly tough boss, a walk in the park.
In addition to that, the boss at the top of Taijin's tower is also easily defeated with Odin.
And adamantoises can be defeated very early in the game with the help of summons and Vanille's death spam...:lol:​

maybee
04-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Yeah I used Odin quite a bit, because it's basically fighting monsters on a horse. How cool is that ? c:

Fynn
04-25-2016, 01:22 PM
I don't think I used them even once besides the battle that had you start in Gestalt mode

Loony BoB
04-25-2016, 01:48 PM
I used it often when grinding Adamantoise at the end.

Mercer
05-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Never. The game itself never ever motivated me to use the Eidolons.

Elly
05-08-2016, 12:07 AM
nope, they're completely useless, except when farming Adamantoise...
in a replay i was having trouble with the first Bart encounter, i remembered breezing through him on my first playthrough... i checked the PiggyBack Guide to see if i was missing or forgetting something, it suggested the characters i was already using Lightning, Fang, & Hope, i tried their paradigm setup and used Odin when the DoomCounter began... Odin did not even make Bart flinch, more like just ticked him off, proving Strategy Guides are useless to my playstyle, they're only good for maps because not everyone plays the same... in the end i remembered i had Sazh in my party on the first play-through and why was that? oh yeah Haste... Haste was far more effective with my paradigm Deck than Odin with PiggyBacks Paradigm Deck and character lineup...
so, no i don't use Eidolons in the main gameplay because it's a complete waste on Boss-fights, and totally unnecessary for regular fights, they're only good for cutting the legs off an Adamantoise...

Ffamran mied Bunansa
05-08-2016, 12:12 AM
They were sooooo awful. Worst summons in the series.

Noctis Caelum
11-07-2016, 05:52 PM
I used it often when grinding Adamantoise at the end.

Sephiroth
11-07-2016, 07:31 PM
I used Bahamut to get my "Get 5 Stars in all missions" easier.
I used Hecatoncheir to take down Adamans.
I used them because of style.

https://www.twitch.tv/yakusoku_no_ji/v/50639990

Yubel-Lover
11-11-2016, 10:21 PM
I used them a couple of times: against Cid Raines, Barthendelus 1st form and Neochu on mission 55

Vermachtnis
11-12-2016, 01:19 AM
I used Odin because it looked cool. Or I guess I used Sleipnir.

krissy
11-19-2016, 05:24 AM
lol no

Skyblade
11-21-2016, 10:41 AM
No, not really. Like FFXII, Square has attempted to "balance" them so much that they're useless. In early games, they were massive nukes that took a lot of MP, but dealt more damage than anything else you could do. Now they do mediocre damage, and the cost is removing two of your party members. It's not worth it. They're more complicated, and less reliable, than just using your party.

Fynn
11-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Sometimes. Just to make the painfully samey slog a tad more bearable.

Scruffington
12-14-2016, 06:21 PM
They have their uses in the postgame. Farming Adamantoises and killing Long Gui was made much easier and more efficient with Eidolons.

Laddy
01-31-2017, 10:28 PM
I want to kill things in a racecar, so no.

fat_moogle
02-12-2017, 05:51 PM
I used everyone's about once each but that's about it. Honestly summons have been a disappointment in all FF's since FFXII.

DMKA
03-06-2017, 12:27 AM
They're great for when you want to kill an adamantoise at lower levels, and for saving you from sudden death. They also helped on a few boss fights, such as that giant flower turtle thing you fight with Lightning and Hope on the elevator, whatever it's called. But I don't use them on a regular basis because it just feels like a waste of time.

I probably would have used them more if the game actually let you summon eidolons belonging to any of your party members instead of limiting you to only the leader's.

Darth Ganon
05-22-2017, 05:31 AM
I only used Sazh's and Vanille's against Adamantoise until my party was proficient enough to do it themselves. Still infinitely more useful than the Espers in FFXII.