PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my JRPG gallery

Soft paw
01-17-2016, 03:34 PM
I would like to know your opinion on whether I should invest or not in those games below, and any other specific games you could think of:
As of now, my JRPG collection is very limited.
I possess every single FF on psx-ps2-ps3-ps4.
Some Tales and some Atelier, KH 1.5 and 2.5.

Anyway, here's a short list of what I came across on Amazon.
Those games were only listed when I was purchasing Kingdom Hearts.

Tears to Tiara 1-2
Resonance of Fate
Arslan : the warriors of legend
Dungeon Travelers 2
Steins Gate
MANA KHEMIA
The Witch And The Hundred Knight
The Awakened Fate Ultimatum
Deception IV: Blood Ties
Fairy Fencer F
Disgaea
Omega Quintet
Legend Heroes : trails of cold steel

I like how the story between characters develop, making bond with some, hating others.
I kind of like the colorful environment, but on another note I don't like when the interactions are simple or naive.
Also, I prefer long life-span games and when they're challenging!

Do you think they are worth buying ?
If you think of any other game please submit them!

Fynn
01-17-2016, 04:41 PM
From those titles, I know Steins Gate is a visual novel, not an RPG, and Disgaea is a tactical RPG, which you said you disliked in another thread

What platforms do you possess? Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei are two of the most important JRPG series aside from FF and the like, so you could give them a go. Persona 3 especially is a good starting point for SMT

Pumpkin
01-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Tears to Tiara 2
Fairy Fencer F
Disgaea
Omega Quintet

Mkay I have played all of those I quoted. Disgaea and Tears to Tiara 2 are both strategy RPG's, and Tears to Tiara 2 is also sort of a visual novel at the same time. No exploration, just story, battle, story, battle. With that being said, the story has some good depth to it, it explores a lot of interesting historical themes, and the character interactions are not shallow. It is also very challenging, even on the easiest difficulty. I also find Disgaea to be a challenge and so I haven't been able to play too far.

I quite enjoy Fairy Fencer and Omega Quintet myself, but neither is difficult and they're overall more "shallow" I would say. They don't have the most depth to them. Fairy Fencer is the better one and it does go in to some deeper themes once in a while. I'm not sure either would fit your what you're looking for by what you've described. They're better for when you're in the mood for a more lighthearted JRPG.

I will see what I can find for you and post some ideas later, but hopefully this helps for now!

Shauna
01-17-2016, 04:53 PM
The Awakened Fate Ultimatum is a sequel to The Guided Fate Paradox AFAIK so you may want to grab that one first.

Ayen
01-17-2016, 09:33 PM
If you can get behind older stuff then I recommend Legend of Legaia, The Legend of Dragoon, and Breath of Fire IV. I'm assuming you already have Chrono Trigger since you said you have every FF on PSX and that comes with FFIV.

Formalhaut
01-17-2016, 10:04 PM
From those titles, I know Steins Gate is a visual novel, not an RPG, and Disgaea is a tactical RPG, which you said you disliked in another thread

What platforms do you possess? Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei are two of the most important JRPG series aside from FF and the like, so you could give them a go. Persona 3 especially is a good starting point for SMT

I concur with Fynn. SMT is a fantastic JRPG series. Either SMT: IV or Persona 3 is a good introduction to the series as a whole. SMT is very story-driven, while Persona is much character-driven; take your preference, really. I prefer character-driven plots, but SMT IV is grabbing my attention so far.

Mirage
01-17-2016, 10:33 PM
Isn't Legend Heroes : trails of cold steel a sequel to some other game?

Vyk
01-17-2016, 11:10 PM
It's in the same world as trails in the sky but not a sequel. That game has "second chapter" as it's sequel which just recently came out as well

Perducci
01-18-2016, 11:12 PM
You should play Ni No Kuni because it is great. :thumbsup: