PDA

View Full Version : Brussel sprouts

Bri
01-19-2016, 02:26 AM
Any of you Eoff members like/hate it? Do you have a particular way of having/seasoning/making it? I just made some and all I can think of is why did I not cook up some rice??? (oh it turned out yummy!) I would've just had it with rice and then be all set.

FFNut
01-19-2016, 03:32 AM
Hate them with a passion. They can be deep fried in butterscotch and I would still not touch them.

Labella
01-19-2016, 04:52 AM
Abhor them.

Shauna
01-19-2016, 08:36 AM
nope

Mirage
01-19-2016, 09:01 AM
don't think i've tried them, but how bad could they be?

Fynn
01-19-2016, 09:38 AM
I think they're delicious! I usually put them in a soup

Pheesh
01-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Night Fury cooks the most amazing brussel sprouts, I absolutely love them. One of my favourite dishes to eat is brussel sprout, chorizo and buffalo mozzarella quesadillas that NF makes.

I feel like whenever I speak to someone who says they hate brussel sprouts they've usually only had them cooked one way, and if they're not prepared properly it's no surprise they weren't enjoyable.

Bubba
01-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Brussel Sprouts are amazing!

If you have bits of bacon with them and place on a bed of spaghetti topped with a spicy tomato sauce. Then replace the sprouts with Swedish meatballs.

There is nothing better!

Miriel
01-19-2016, 10:19 AM
I adore brussels sprouts, they are SO good!!!

There's so many different ways to prepare them. One of my favorites is to pan fry them and drizzle with a mixture of balsamic vinegar and honey (or maple syrup). Roasting with a little bit of olive oil is great too. And surprisingly, it's also great as a hash.

Fry up some bacon, and then in the leftover grease, toss in some shredded brussels sprouts and onions. Add back in the crumbled bacon and dress with some lemon juice and it's fantastic. And finally, this shaved brussels sprouts salad with red onion and pecarino is fucking amazing: http://food52.com/recipes/7650-shaved-brussels-sprout-salad-with-red-onion-lemon-and-pecorino

If you don't like brussels sprouts, you're doing something wrong.

Mr. Carnelian
01-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Brussel Sprouts are a tasty and versatile vegetable.

I think they're delicious. :thumb:

Pike
01-19-2016, 10:22 AM
I think brussel sprouts are really good :love: I never understood the hate.

Fynn
01-19-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm so glad this thread got turned around.

Crop
01-19-2016, 10:55 AM
I feel like whenever I speak to someone who says they hate brussel sprouts they've usually only had them cooked one way, and if they're not prepared properly it's no surprise they weren't enjoyable.

No, I just don't like the taste of them. One of only two foods I simply cannot eat, the other being mushrooms.

Fynn
01-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Mushrooms is a very broad term though

Crop
01-19-2016, 11:02 AM

Is it? I guess I don't know much about them. I just mean the stuff you get from supermarkets or on pizza or in pasta or whatever. Standard Mushrooms? Lets just say I've never had a mushroom I've liked.

Pheesh
01-19-2016, 11:04 AM

No, I just don't like the taste of them. One of only two foods I simply cannot eat, the other being mushrooms.

Brussel sprouts do not have an overpowering taste like some foods though. They lend themselves well to being cooked in a variety of ways. I'm not one for forcing foods on other people if they've earnestly tried them and not enjoyed them, but I feel like most people I speak to have had regular boiled/overcooked sprouts once and decided they're terrible when that would be the equivalent of me burning a steak and slathering it in ketchup and then swearing off of eating it ever again.

Fynn
01-19-2016, 11:10 AM

Is it? I guess I don't know much about them. I just mean the stuff you get from supermarkets or on pizza or in pasta or whatever. Standard Mushrooms? Lets just say I've never had a mushroom I've liked.

Oh right. I forget that most of the Anglosphere doesn't really distinguish between the different kinds, sorry ^^;

Crop
01-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Fair enough, I'm not one to swear off foods after not liking them the first couple of times. If anyone wants to cook me some fine sprouts, I'll give them a bash.

Mr. Carnelian
01-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Oh right. I forget that most of the Anglosphere doesn't really distinguish between the different kinds, sorry ^^;

"Anglosphere" is a cool word. I'm going to use that to introduce myself from now on. Hello, I'm from the Anglosphere. :p

It's true that most people won't really bother thinking about different types of mushrooms over here, despite the fact that they come in many different varieties which vary wildly in size, taste and texture.

I agree that people shouldn't be forced to eat things like Brussel Sprouts if they just don't like them. But, I think a lot of people are put off by their reputation, and so don't really give them a fair go.

Fynn
01-19-2016, 11:26 AM
The mushroom thing is really funny, since the thing you call a mushroom (which even here is the most common one here as well, really) is considered not a mushroom by many people here. I mean, of course it's a mushroom, but people say it doesn't count since it's not picked up in the woods and grows on shit. I don't agree with this, but people can be awfully pretentious about their mushrooms :gator:

And yeah, I see the reputation thing. Brussel Sprouts are just one of those things, like spinach or broccoli, that usually just isn't served right and even if a kid hasn't eaten it yet, all the kids on tv always hate them, so they must be terrible, right? And that prejudice often just stays with you.

Shauna
01-19-2016, 01:16 PM
I love most all vegetables, but I can't hack Brussels sprouts. So there's no vegetables are icky prejudice in my mind. I will give them a go if people insist, but I have not found a way to enjoy them.

It's like beer for me. I have many beer aficionado friends, who try all these different beers and lagers and ales and comment on how they taste like chocolate or strawberries or... whatever weird and wonderful things people brew the stuff with. I try it and it tastes like beer. Are there other tastes? No idea, all I can taste is that awful bitter beer taste (which ales, etc share). Brussels sprouts are the exact same - more tastes have been added in to the overall experience but I cannot enjoy it because I can still taste the sprouts.

I get a lot of people saying that I just haven't eaten the things the right way, but dammit I am an adult I know what I enjoy eating and do not enjoy eating. :colbert:

Pumpkin
01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I do like them

Bri
01-19-2016, 04:01 PM
don't think i've tried them, but how bad could they be?

Not bad honestly. The first time I tried brussel sprouts was just last year on Thanksgiving, turned out to like it. I respect everyone's take on it though. I personally like it to be roasted with olive oil, garlic powder, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. I was thinking next time I'll make some ramen noodles and put some on top. You should give it a try.

escobert
01-19-2016, 06:24 PM
I like them, but not something I eat all that often. Same with asparagus.

Shorty
01-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Roasted with red onions, bacon, honey, almond slices, nutmeg and butter. All you need to make brussel sprouts amazing.

Bri
01-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Had it for lunch. Put it on top of white Jasmine rice and baked ham. Washed it down with some hot green tea.

Mirage
01-19-2016, 09:10 PM

yeah this is really weird. I like some sorts of mushrooms.

Del Murder
01-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Like most vegetables, if you roast it and season it, it's good. Would I eat raw brussel sprouts or ones that are simply steamed? Hell no, that's disgusting. To get the most out of your food you have to cook it properly, and it usually doesn't require elaborate ingredients or technique.

Kalevala
01-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Like most vegetables, if you roast it and season it, it's good. Would I eat raw brussel sprouts or ones that are simply steamed? Hell no, that's disgusting. To get the most out of your food you have to cook it properly, and it usually doesn't require elaborate ingredients or technique.

This. I think that may be where most of the brussels sprout hate comes from. There are quite a few different kinds of vegetables that really aren't too bad raw or steamed, brussels sprouts are not one of them.

Night Fury
01-20-2016, 03:41 PM
I dunno man, I would probably eat a raw brussel sprout.

Kalevala
01-20-2016, 05:09 PM
You would.

Night Fury
01-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Can confirm today I ate a raw sprout. It was so nice that I had another 2!

Spuuky
01-25-2016, 10:38 PM
Please stop saying "brussel" instead of "Brussels"

They're terrible prepared most ways and pretty good prepared in some very specific ways.

Mr. Carnelian
01-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Please stop saying "brussel" instead of "Brussels"

They're terrible prepared most ways and pretty good prepared in some very specific ways.

Maybe it's just because I'm common as smurf (ha, as if) but I have literally never heard them called that.

It's true that preparation is everything. A steak tastes terrible if you burn it. However, I've yet to eat a brussell sprout I didn't like, and I've had them raw, roasted, boiled, steamed and grilled and once even barbecued.

Shauna
01-26-2016, 10:26 AM
They're actually called Brussels sprouts though, calling them Brussel sprouts is just people saying it wrong. Probably the double s between Brussels and Sprouts causing the issues.

Pheesh
01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
I was having a really hard time understanding what people were talking about because of that missing 'S'. Please everyone, spell it right. PLEASE!

Fynn
01-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Hey, you know what's funny? In Polish, Brussels Sprouts are called Brukselka, which is a diminutive of Bruksela (Brussels). So essentially, we eat little Brussels.

... Yeah, that was funnier in my head

Iceglow
01-27-2016, 12:45 AM
Roasted with red onions, bacon, honey, almond slices, nutmeg and butter. All you need to make brussel sprouts amazing.

There I was thinking myself and Sarah could no longer agree on anything at all when I see this. I've not done the nutmeg or almond slices but the rest? YES, Hell Yes.

Kudos Sarah, kudos.