PDA

View Full Version : joking: An Enigma

Galuf
01-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Joking. Especially on the internet is a really annoying thing. Why? Because i never understand them. I always think they are being serious. And i dont mean the "knock knock who is there" kinda jokes. I mean stuff like "Oh you are so rubbish gokill yourself" etc etc. Most of the time im wrong and they are joking. But it just annoys me and makes me think people dislike me.

Anyone else have a problem with these jokey things? (also whenever i try to joke around... They go wrong.)

Ayen
01-23-2016, 06:02 PM
If someone is telling you to 'go kill yourself' as a joke, they have a lousy sense of humor. Just saying.

I find myself on both sides of this problem. People will be joking with me and I'll think they're serious, and I'll be joking and someone will mistake me for being serious. Tone is nearly impossible to figure out on the internet, that's why there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification. I used to post in a different text color back in 08 so people knew when I was joking. I'm wondering if I should bring that back?

Formalhaut
01-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Ugh, I'm awful at discerning the correct emotional tone of a post. I really need to improve in that department.

Fynn
01-23-2016, 06:41 PM
I don't think using a different color is a good solution, since many jokes lose their comedic value by being acknowledged as such. Overall, a good course of action I think is just distancing yourself from stuff and not letting stuff get to you.

Still, dickish behavior is dickish and should be called out, no matter if intended as a joke or not. It's different when close friends joke like this, and different when it's a stranger on the Internet who has their own emotional baggage, come on!

blackmage_nuke
01-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Ugh, I'm awful at discerning the correct emotional tone of a post. I really need to improve in that department.

HAAAHAHA! :hahaha: Funniest post 2016!

Shorty
01-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Just assume that no one is ever being serious and your problem goes away.

Ayen
01-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Huh. This makes posts in Academia comedic gold, actually.

Mr. Carnelian
01-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Emojis. Emojis solve everything. :nod:

Fynn
01-23-2016, 09:31 PM
That's not even an emoji you twaaaaaaa-

Galuf
01-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Sadly the only emoji i really understand are. :) or :( also sometimes people jokingly use :( or :cry: however i think ive upset them. Even though i have not.

Psychotic
01-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Sadly the only emoji i really understand are. :) or :( also sometimes people jokingly use :( or :cry: however i think ive upset them. Even though i have not.:wacky:

Galuf
01-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Sadly the only emoji i really understand are. :) or :( also sometimes people jokingly use :( or :cry: however i think ive upset them. Even though i have not.:wacky:

And i definatly dont know what THAT is.:lol:

Crop
01-23-2016, 10:24 PM
I'm never being serious, even when I say I'm being serious.

Mr. Carnelian
01-23-2016, 10:31 PM

Never knowingly be serious. :spin:

Pheesh
01-23-2016, 10:56 PM

So if you weren't being serious when you wrote that then does that mean you are always being serious?

Ayen
01-23-2016, 10:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dFJGbge.jpg

Shauna
01-23-2016, 11:11 PM
Emojis. Emojis solve everything. :nod:

Except when they make you come across as condescending. :p

But, if people are telling you to kill yourself that is not a joke, and it is not acceptable for people to be saying that to you. I hope you aren't speaking from experience here, Galuf!

Galuf
01-23-2016, 11:22 PM
Both this and the "too nice" thread are from experience shauna. :( it tends to happen when i play online games and win. So i tend to say im rubbish to avoid some things idk.

Ayen
01-23-2016, 11:28 PM
Both this and the "too nice" thread are from experience shauna. :( it tends to happen when i play online games and win. So i tend to say im rubbish to avoid some things idk.

Ohhh. Online games, now it all makes sense.

Ignore those assholes. They're just mad they loss.

Crop
01-23-2016, 11:30 PM

So if you weren't being serious when you wrote that then does that mean you are always being serious?

I seriously don't even know myself anymore.

Midgar Mist
01-23-2016, 11:48 PM
Joking. Especially on the internet is a really annoying thing. Why? Because i never understand them. I always think they are being serious. And i dont mean the "knock knock who is there" kinda jokes. I mean stuff like "Oh you are so rubbish gokill yourself" etc etc. Most of the time im wrong and they are joking. But it just annoys me and makes me think people dislike me.

Anyone else have a problem with these jokey things? (also whenever i try to joke around... They go wrong.)

If someone is telling you to 'go kill yourself' as a joke, they have a lousy sense of humor. Just saying.

I find myself on both sides of this problem. People will be joking with me and I'll think they're serious, and I'll be joking and someone will mistake me for being serious. Tone is nearly impossible to figure out on the internet, that's why there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification. I used to post in a different text color back in 08 so people knew when I was joking. I'm wondering if I should bring that back?

Galuf I see what you mean, I find it difficult to read a joke if its aggressive. Some people just say what's in their head without realising other people might think differently. Im careful with what I say, its what I get for having bucket loads of empathy.

Ayen I agree with Fynn on the issue of you highlighting your jokes. I get them, and so do some others on here.

Mirage
01-24-2016, 02:19 AM

This is what I do.

Assume everyone is joking unless you see overwhelming evidence of the opposite.

I usually say things without thinking them through. That's not really because i'm not empathic or stuff, but rather that I just don't have very good impulse control :p

krissy
01-24-2016, 03:43 AM
for me it's a simple equation

0.4*(number of exclamation marks used) + sqrt(capital letters)/sqrt(swears) - (number of smileys - number of repeating smileys) = statement score

if statement score > 50, i think they are joking around

Bubba
01-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Seriously, guys.

Kalevala
01-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Seriously. This is how we stay friends.

Laddy
01-30-2016, 10:24 PM
There's been cases where I stay off most parts of the Internet because seemingly innocuous things said to me can make me feel very uncomfortable and anxious. It's partially emotional immaturity on my part. Which is why, especially on the Internet, it is important to be clear with what you're intending on the internet.

Formalhaut
02-01-2016, 05:59 PM
I read the post as if they were being said in a voice, which colours in what I feel the emotional intent to be. Emojis help with that, definitely. What may appear condescending at first, when voiced in your head, is actually ripe for sarcasm.

Shiny
02-07-2016, 02:32 AM
Dry humor is my forte and I enjoy it in other people as well. I'm not too phased if people don't get it on the Internet because they probably wouldn't get it in person either. I tend to have a stone face when I make a joke.

I use to put a freak smiley to prevent any confusion, but Loony BoB removed it because he is Stalin. One time Leeza warned something I put meant in jest and I later had to clarify that it was a joke, albeit a stupid one essentially just repeating what someone said. I don't understand people who take life, even the darkest parts of life seriously. If you can't laugh through the pain then you won't overcome it.

Rin Heartilly
02-10-2016, 11:31 AM
I feel like my humor adapts to whatever environment I'm in, even if I don't understand the joke, usually I'll try to laugh along anyway ^^;

However IRL when I'm home, I'm extremely cynical, my humor is dry, and I'm extremely sarcastic. However I think immature fart jokes may be my Achilles heel sadly, someone farted during my last law exam and it took every ounce of my being to not laugh. One of the students thought I was crying because the property law exam was so difficult...I was just trying hard not to laugh ^^; :p