PDA

View Full Version : Punctual, on time, or late?

Pumpkin
01-30-2016, 05:00 PM
I am a very punctual person. One time is late. I always try to show up 10-15 minutes early, depending on what it is. I leave the library to go to my classes 30 minutes before they start and it is about a 10 minute walk to each from the library. At my old school, due to small town bus schedules, I would show up 4 hours early rather than risk being 5-10 minutes late

Night Fury
01-30-2016, 05:06 PM
If you're not early, you're late.

FFNut
01-30-2016, 05:17 PM
I always try to be early. If I can get there 10 to 15 minutes early I consider it on time. If I show up right on time... I'm late.

Galuf
01-30-2016, 05:31 PM
usually early because i forget where to go

Shorty
01-30-2016, 05:59 PM
I suffer from chronic tardiness.

Ayen
01-30-2016, 06:03 PM
An Ayen is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to :colbert:

Pheesh
01-30-2016, 06:18 PM
It depends. You honestly never want to be the first one to a party and I try to avoid that very scenario. Also it actively annoys me if you are hosting a dinner party and someone shows up 15+ minutes early. I'm cooking food so that we can eat it at specific times, I'm stressed and may still be cleaning or tidying up, get there when the invitation said to get there and no earlier or later.

However if it's something important like a job interview then yeah, I'll get there 15 minutes beforehand.

Shauna
01-30-2016, 06:30 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54274601.jpg

Laddy
01-30-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm always early to a social gathering. I get to introduce myself to everyone and dictate the mood of the event.

Pheesh
01-30-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm always early to a social gathering. I get to introduce myself to everyone and dictate the mood of the event.

Define 'early'. If you're early in the traditional sense of the word there shouldn't be anyone to introduce yourself to except the host who you already know. You have essentially invited yourself to someone else's house earlier than they were ready to receive you.

You're right though, it definitely dictates the mood, just that it shouldn't be yours to dictate if you're not throwing the party, at least not at the beginning of the night.

FFNut
01-30-2016, 07:17 PM
In the case of a dinner part you do want to be there when they say to be there. If I'm early, I'll drive back around the back a few times before entering.

Night Fury
01-30-2016, 07:17 PM

Dictate the mood of the event? :lol: If you come to my party early and 'dictate the mood of the event' you're off my guestlist for the next one. :lol:

Pheesh
01-30-2016, 07:20 PM
In the case of a dinner part you do want to be there when they say to be there. If I'm early, I'll drive back around the back a few times before entering.

Yeah, this is what I do.

blackmage_nuke
01-30-2016, 10:00 PM

Dictate the mood of the event? :lol: If you come to my party early and 'dictate the mood of the event' you're off my guestlist for the next one. :lol:

Define 'early'. If you're early in the traditional sense of the word there shouldn't be anyone to introduce yourself to except the host who you already know. You have essentially invited yourself to someone else's house earlier than they were ready to receive you.

You're right though, it definitely dictates the mood, just that it shouldn't be yours to dictate if you're not throwing the party, at least not at the beginning of the night.

I assume when someone hosts a party they don't actually have a plan for what the mood is going to be. They have a maximum and a minimum but the rest is usually due to the general consensus of the guests and the guest that gets there first has the most power

I don't know if you guys are joking or misunderstood but I think he means you get to the party early ,and if you want it to be a rowdy night you try to start off with shots and put some cocaine that you brought for everyone on the coffee table or if you want it to be low key you offer the early arrivers a beer from the case you brought and put your cards against humanity on the coffee table in clear view so someone will later suggest you play cards against humanity.

Neither of these actions alone suggest an ulterior motive but can easily sway the mood of the night.

If you arrive later than everyone drenched in tequila and throw a big bag of cocaine on the table and start doing lines you suddenly become the asshole of the party when everyone was having a chill time, if you arrive later and everyone is off their face it's going to be hard to get everyone to chill out long enough to get a game of pictionary going.

On topic: In professional situations I'm usually early, in social gatherings where I know the organiser well I'll arrive on time, In a social gathering where I;m not really close to the organiser I'll come a bit later so that hopefully someone I know better has arrived before me or at least enough people that it diverts focus off me..

Karifean
01-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Depends. For the most part I'm rather punctual, but I have a horrid track of being on time when casually meeting with friends at someone's place in the afternoon. Somehow I never quite manage to correctly assess the time I need to do all necessary chores before leaving.

Laddy
01-30-2016, 10:14 PM

We're talking, five minutes? I'm not going to show up to someone's house (which assumes it even takes place at a private residence) well before the event has even finished preparations unless I'm specifically invited by the person beforehand to help prepare, for example. I don't know what I said to give an indication I intended otherwise.

And "dictate" is a pretty poor word choice so perhaps better phrasing is in order. I like to be one of the first few people to arrive at an event, within reason, so that I can acclimate myself to the environment and personalities as they come in. It's way easier for me to start conversation and keep my anxiety in check. So by "dictate the mood of the event" I'm not (intentionally) stating I want influence over people but rather I want to have a certain degree of freedom to introduce myself on my own terms and thus have more control and freedom as I come off, see? Dictate the mood of the event as it pertains to me.

Night Fury
01-30-2016, 10:30 PM
That's fine Laddy, I was just having a joke so I hope you weren't upset by it! I'm just saying don't you go stealing my thunder at my own party. I know you're a diva!

Pheesh
01-30-2016, 10:31 PM

We're talking, five minutes? I'm not going to show up to someone's house (which assumes it even takes place at a private residence) well before the event has even finished preparations unless I'm specifically invited by the person beforehand to help prepare, for example. I don't know what I said to give an indication I intended otherwise.

And "dictate" is a pretty poor word choice so perhaps better phrasing is in order. I like to be one of the first few people to arrive at an event, within reason, so that I can acclimate myself to the environment and personalities as they come in. It's way easier for me to start conversation and keep my anxiety in check. So by "dictate the mood of the event" I'm not (intentionally) stating I want influence over people but rather I want to have a certain degree of freedom to introduce myself on my own terms and thus have more control and freedom as I come off, see? Dictate the mood of the event as it pertains to me.

All good with that. If that's what you meant then I think that is perfectly reasonable, and like I initially mentioned anything within 5-10 mins early or late is negligible.

@BMN. I hope you're not serious, what right do you have to throw cocaine on someone else's table or try and get their guests hammered whether you arrive early, on time or late? Unless you're in high school that is not the way you behave at a social gathering unless the host has set that tone.

blackmage_nuke
01-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Well I was exaggerating for effect, but I've arrived at parties where people had really hard liquors early on and everyone was partaking heavily and parties where someone was bringing something hard arrived a bit late and everyone was already in a groove then they're already a bit tired and only a few people will take a small amount with mixer, I personally don't bring out anything strong if the host has implied they want a low key event or whatever but most of the parties I go to there is no previously implied tone.

Pheesh
01-30-2016, 10:51 PM
If you want to get to a party early on to the proceedings so you know what kind of party the host is throwing that's all well and good, but like I said, it's not up to the guests to dictate anything.

Also, with Facebook events these days (which is basically the only way I get invited to anything unless it's last minute or really small) then it's pretty easy to find out if it's a party you should be bringing a six-pack or a bottle of Cuervo to.

Zanmato
01-30-2016, 10:53 PM
I always try to be early. If I can get there 10 to 15 minutes early I consider it on time. If I show up right on time... I'm late.

That's me! :D
Thanks to the school I'm an early bird! :cool:

Kalevala
01-31-2016, 12:07 AM
I'd say either early or on time for the most part. I like to fly under the radar and that's kind of hard to do if you're showing up late.

Crop
01-31-2016, 12:33 AM
I try to make sure I'm one of the first to arrive at the event to maximise my time at the event, because events are fun.

starlet
01-31-2016, 06:28 AM
I suffer from chronic tardiness.

I used to be good about being on time but lately I can't even be arsed to be at work on time.

Zeldy
01-31-2016, 07:45 AM
I call it being "fashionably" late.

Shiny
02-04-2016, 02:13 AM
Better late than never unless it's to a movie or play because I don't want to miss any of it.

escobert
02-04-2016, 07:43 AM
I try my darnedest to be on time.

Vasher
02-04-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm punctual (always arrive early). My wife could not be on time if her life depended on it. Kids are an "excuse" now, but it's always been this way (our first baby was born over three years after we met, 16 years together). She laaaaaaaaaaaags (fixing hair).