PDA

View Full Version : //fake Jamaican accent// Why you gotta be so rude?

Laddy
01-26-2016, 04:40 PM
What breach of etiquette grinds your gears the most?

For me it's those who mistreat service workers. Servers, cashiers, clerks, etc. to me if you're rude in an even slight way you're dead to me. Dead. Gone.

Lazerface
01-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Ayyyy mon. Why you be so rude boi? Associating wit babylon and such me bredren.

Formalhaut
01-26-2016, 04:46 PM
I agree with you on the etiquette one. Unless these servers are being rude towards you, why should you go out of your way to be rude to them?

Shorty
01-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Being rudely interrupted by strangers. Friends and I all interrupt each other when we're excitedly talking about things and then we make way for each other to talk. But if you're a stranger who interrupts me while I am speaking, I will become your worst nightmare to deal with.

Freya
01-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Store aisle etiquette. Standing in the middle of an aisle or not moving when someone clearly needs behind you or around you makes me soooo mad. How are you not spatially aware? You have to know by having your store conversation with random whomever, you're blocking people from getting things done. Don't walk extremely slow with 3 other people all lengthwise and not let anyone pass you. Just be considerate of the people around you and stop being jerks!

Kalevala
01-26-2016, 04:53 PM
What breach of etiquette grinds your gears the most?

For me it's those who mistreat service workers. Servers, cashiers, clerks, etc. to me if you're rude in an even slight way you're dead to me. Dead. Gone.

I get so embarrassed when people do this. Dad was rude to a worker at the train station over Christmas break and I gave him hell for it.

Vasher
01-26-2016, 05:04 PM
People in the crosswalk/parking lot taking their sweet ass time to get out of the way so that traffic may proceed. When there are cars waiting for me you better believe I pick up the pace, jog if necessary. The vast majority of pedestrians do not consider traffic, but they are also blatantly ignoring the courtesy said drivers are granting them by not just running their "slow" (double entendre) asses over. Smart phones have made it so much worse (read as "smart phones, stupid people).

blackmage_nuke
01-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Stand to the left of the escalator so others can pass. Only mildly annoying when I'm being blocked but when my friends block the escalator and I tell them about the general consensus and they roll their eyes at me then they lose a friend point.

fire_of_avalon
01-27-2016, 12:48 AM
I get really angry about lack of courtesy in cars. Irrationally angry.

Among people I know, I hate it when my friends look a garbage on their phone when we're doing things. Like if it's just to check a message fine, but don't surf facebook while we're watching a movie or playing a game.

Sephex
01-27-2016, 01:09 AM
Don't be a one upper. If someone is telling a story, especially if it is negative, let them vent. Don't go, "Well, when I was a kid, my dad beat me WAY MORE times than you!" It's way more annoying if you start by trying to one up by saying, "That's alright!"

Like, what the f*** is that even supposed to mean?

I think it's alright to relate a story to someone when they are telling a story. Using the example I said earlier, a better thing to say would be, "Yeah man, my dad beat me too. It's terrible." Go ahead and relate, but keep it short. Don't try to outdo them. Even if you think you had it tougher and they are whining. Man, just let people vent.

Ayen
01-27-2016, 01:13 AM
When you park in front of the mailbox when you have an entire driveway RIGHT SMURFING THERE! MOVE YOUR SMURFING CAR AND GET IT OUT OF THE WAY SO WE CAN GET OUR SMURFING MAIL!

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2016, 06:30 AM
College students that don't know how to navigate public spaces. You don't have to crowd the door of the classroom before the previous class has even let out, and you definitely don't need to shuffle your impatient ass through them as they leave. Don't stop and answer your phone in the middle of a walkway/staircase, you're an adult you can handle walking and talking. You don't have to walk all in a row with your 4+ friends and hold up traffic; one day I'm going to kick someone's knee in.

Labella
01-27-2016, 08:17 AM

Last year I dropped a friend for doing this multiple times as well as exhibiting other general distasteful habits. I was in shock the first time she'd done it n I remember walking away from the cashier feeling embarrassed, sick to my stomach n wanting to high tail it home. After a while it became clear that this individual was not about to change anytime soon. Im not this person's parentals she is a grown fkng adult. Absolutely vile behaviour. You are who you surround yourself with. And unless you're partial to that sort of company this quote rings absolute truth: A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter is not a nice person. You aint got time for manners I aint got time for you.

As for my personal list:

If I'm standing around waiting for a friend I want to be left alone.
Poor table manners. Please and Thank you go a long way. Common courtesy aint common enough.
RSVP at the allotted time ppl I have to organise sh*t.
Yawning, coughing, sneezing without covering your mouth. Feral.
Using foul language when children are present.
Using your mobile phone while in the company of myself n/or others. Well now I'll just call myself a cab while your at it.
Catcalling n harrassing me even when I asked to be left the fk alone.

List goes on.

FFNut
01-27-2016, 08:33 AM
I'm old fashioned. I think if you and another person are walking into a door at the same time it is only right that you hold the door open for them so they can get through. It isn't a race, if you wait in a store line another 20 seconds it won't hurt you really. When I see young men won't hold a door open for a woman it drives me mad. It's not difficult to be a gentleman.

Also people rude to servers. I have some good friends who do that for a living and they tell horrible stories about how people treat them.

also say please and thank you to people. If you don't want something say no thank you. It isn't very tough.

Old Manus
01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
I feel you on the being rude to service workers thing. You can learn a lot about somebody based on how they treat the guy who serves them their food.

I was in South Africa recently and having dinner with a group of these modern judgy feminist types, who spent most of the evening moaning about how tough their lives were (even though they were all in at least their 6th year at university fully paid for by their rich fathers). When it came to ordering, one of them started asking stupid questions about the salad (because she was vegan, hadn't you heard?), what specific vegetables were in it, what type of oil was on it etc when the waitress made a completely friendly quip about writing down the recipe or something. This lass looked as if she had just been slapped in the face. She threatened to 'go hungry', started slagging off her 'serving technique', and made a point of not tipping her. All the while, her friends sat there nodding disapprovingly. It didn't help that the waitress was black and these were a bunch of white saffers (though a few were from Botswana).

There were a few annoying occurrences over that dinner but that was the one that left steam coming out of my ears.

Labella
01-27-2016, 09:52 AM
I feel you on the being rude to service workers thing. You can learn a lot about somebody based on how they treat the guy who serves them their food.

I was in South Africa recently and having dinner with a group of these modern judgy feminist types, who spent most of the evening moaning about how tough their lives were (even though they were all in at least their 6th year at university fully paid for by their rich fathers). When it came to ordering, one of them started asking stupid questions about the salad (because she was vegan, hadn't you heard?), what specific vegetables were in it, what type of oil was on it etc when the waitress made a completely friendly quip about writing down the recipe or something. This lass looked as if she had just been slapped in the face. She threatened to 'go hungry', started slagging off her 'serving technique', and made a point of not tipping her. All the while, her friends sat there nodding disapprovingly. It didn't help that the waitress was black and these were a bunch of white saffers (though a few were from Botswana).

There were a few annoying occurrences over that dinner but that was the one that left steam coming out of my ears.

Did u just make this all up?

sounds so reddit lmao

Old Manus
01-27-2016, 09:58 AM
nope lol

Fynn
01-27-2016, 02:07 PM
This doesn't really translate well into English, but in Polish there are two ways to address someone. One is "ty", which is an informal form of you, while "Pan/Pani" is a more formal variant, kinda translating to something like "sir/madam", but it's less formal than that and that more commonly used.

So generally, "ty" is used in very informal contexts - you know someone, or you're in a place that is specifically meant to start interactions between you, so you use "ty". Also, children use the form among each other, as well as adults talking to kids. Usually when two adults meet, they use "Pan/Pani" until they both agree that "ty" is fine.

Now what I hate is when strangers on the street talk to me using the "ty" form. It's like they're invading my personal space or trying to show me they are superior. I don't know them, i do not wish to get up close and personal with them, so I do not wish for them to address me like that.

This is why Starbucks annoys me in Poland, because the company policy says they have to address their clients with the "ty" form - a misguided attempt at emulating the English "you" and how informal it is compared to the Polish "Pan/Pani", but it really just comes off as rude, or condescending even. Polish is not English, and neither "ty" or "Pan/Pani" is a full equivalent of "you" so that form of talking should not be appropriated.

Pumpkin
01-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Invading personal space, yeah. It's not okay. I get they are trying to be friendly, but when they know I don't enjoy being touched and whatever, don't make me the bad guy because you can't have your way. I hate that. Like "Oh why do you have to be like that?". Excuse me? It's my body and I have every damn right to decide who does and does not touch it. Jackasses.

CactuarKing
01-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Ooh...too many to narrow it down to one.

My pet peeves:

As a driver, encountering other selfish and spatially unaware drivers. Also, meeting other drivers who think they own the road and drive up my ass.
As a shopper, lack of manners or general rudeness to shop staff/service staff. They are there to help and are not a lower class of people.
As a chivalrous man, the fact that acts like opening the door for other human beings are often taken for granted and not noticed. Manners cost nothing after all.

Night Fury
01-27-2016, 07:06 PM
I fucking hate when people get too close to me in queues. I hate it even more if I step forward to GET AWAY AND THEY FOLLOW ME. ARRRGHHHH INEXPLICABLE RAGE.