PDA

View Full Version : Kill a Gaming Franchise Take Two

Wolf Kanno
01-27-2016, 05:35 AM
Did this thread a few years ago and figured it would be interesting to see how people's opinions have changed since then. So what current gaming franchise needs to just throw in the towel and be done?

Mirage
01-27-2016, 06:17 AM
final fantasy

Fynn
01-27-2016, 06:29 AM
final fantasy

Lol why now when things are looking hopeful?

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2016, 06:34 AM
Call of Duty, any sports game that comes out year after year. That's all I got.

FFNut
01-27-2016, 06:46 AM
I was thinking about this when you posted Wolf, and I think that at this very moment I'd choose Halo. Just played it a few days ago and all the fun I had in the past with it was gone. Maybe it just needs a quick kick/revamp, but it seems to have fallen behind other first person shooters. It felt slow and clunky.

Mirage
01-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Call of Duty, any sports game that comes out year after year. That's all I got.

Yeah, really. Current season players could easily be implemented through dlc instead of an entirely new game with near identical mechanics.

Ayen
01-27-2016, 07:08 AM
At this point I feel like Resident Evil needs to be mercifully put to sleep.

And it seems like that's already the case since Capcom has been mainly focusing on remakes.

Fynn
01-27-2016, 07:10 AM
I honestly wouldn't kill any series, when I think about it. Any series that annoys the hell out of me may just be someone's favorite, feel good series, and I really wouldn't want to take that away

Mr. Carnelian
01-27-2016, 11:52 AM
I honestly wouldn't kill any series, when I think about it. Any series that annoys the hell out of me may just be someone's favorite, feel good series, and I really wouldn't want to take that away

You're such a sweetie, Fynn. :3: I second that motion.

Fynn
01-27-2016, 11:54 AM
(I'm mostly self-motivated though as I know I love some series dearly that other people would rather see dead, so yeah, trying to build love for my own gain and stuff... :shifty:)

Mr. Carnelian
01-27-2016, 12:10 PM
(I'm mostly self-motivated though as I know I love some series dearly that other people would rather see dead, so yeah, trying to build love for my own gain and stuff... :shifty:)

Shhh, shhhh. Don't spoil this beautiful moment with words. :bigsmile:

Why kill a gaming franchise? If you don't like it, don't play it. You might not like it, but other people probably will. And besides, there's always the potential for a gaming franchise to get better: one of these days they might actually make another decent COD game.

Galuf
01-27-2016, 01:57 PM
I was thinking about this when you posted Wolf, and I think that at this very moment I'd choose Halo. Just played it a few days ago and all the fun I had in the past with it was gone. Maybe it just needs a quick kick/revamp, but it seems to have fallen behind other first person shooters. It felt slow and clunky.

halo 5 is a betrayal of the highest degree:mad2:

Old Manus
01-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer

Just...just leave me with the memories of PES3 and 4. Of Peter Brackley and Trevor Brooking. Of Master Leagues stretching into the dozens of seasons. Let's just finish it.

FFNut
01-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Halo 5 was what I was playing.

Galuf
01-27-2016, 03:26 PM

Halo 5 was what I was playing.

i thought halo was amazing, then i played 5 and now im like" couldve used that £50 to go t fucking college"

Slothy
01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
one of these days they might actually make another decent COD game.

Hahahaha!

Honestly I wouldn't kill a franchise. I'd kill the entire triple A game industry. Burn it all to the ground, leave no trace, and let people rebuild on top of the ashes.

I whole heartedly believe that the business thinking of most companies is fundamentally at odds with their ability to make good games and that they occasionally do make good games is more luck and the persistence of actual creators than it is any impact the producers and publishers tend to have.

CactuarKing
01-27-2016, 05:57 PM
At this point I feel like Resident Evil needs to be mercifully put to sleep.

And it seems like that's already the case since Capcom has been mainly focusing on remakes.

Hah! I agree. Wesker did my smurfing head in!!

I echo earlier sentiments and think that everyone has favourite games, with someone bound to like a game that you detest.

As such, I would not choose a game franchise (other than making an exception for Resident Evil!!) for that very reason.

Ayen
01-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Honestly I wouldn't kill a franchise. I'd kill the entire triple A game industry. Burn it all to the ground, leave no trace, and let people rebuild on top of the ashes.

I whole heartedly believe that the business thinking of most companies is fundamentally at odds with their ability to make good games and that they occasionally do make good games is more luck and the persistence of actual creators than it is any impact the producers and publishers tend to have.

Ooh, I like this answer. It also doesn't help that developers are rushed just so they can get their next entry out within a year from the last one, so quality some times take a back seat because of it.

Psychotic
01-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer

Just...just leave me with the memories of PES3 and 4. Of Peter Brackley and Trevor Brooking. Of Master Leagues stretching into the dozens of seasons. Let's just finish it.I remember when Castolo and Valeny were just lads. Now they're pushing 40.

FFNut
01-27-2016, 07:24 PM
We should really ask Nintendo on how to do this while still producing titles really.

Spuuky
01-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Lol why now when things are looking hopeful?Does this just mean "its' been a long time since the last game?"

I don't see hope for anything I personally want from it.

Del Murder
01-27-2016, 08:51 PM
I feel like Assassin's Creed has run it's course at least until they finally do one using ninjas.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-27-2016, 09:55 PM
Maybe Dynasty Warriors.

I mean, they're just pumping that shit out, and is anyone really paying attention? They've barely changed in years. One game per console generation, just for people who like the beat 'em up action with slightly better graphics.

krissy
01-28-2016, 12:14 AM
cover shooters

Skyblade
01-28-2016, 03:23 PM
I feel like Assassin's Creed has run it's course at least until they finally do one using ninjas.

I haven't bothered playing the series since AC3 ruined it so completely for me. I might return for ninjas.

However, I would love for the series to be replaced by more Shadow of Mordor games. Everything I liked about Assassin's Creed, with none of the downsides.

Del Murder
01-28-2016, 04:37 PM

I haven't bothered playing the series since AC3 ruined it so completely for me. I might return for ninjas.

However, I would love for the series to be replaced by more Shadow of Mordor games. Everything I liked about Assassin's Creed, with none of the downsides.
Give AC4 a chance. It's more deserving to be your last AC game until they do ninjas.

Skyblade
01-28-2016, 06:45 PM

Give AC4 a chance. It's more deserving to be your last AC game until they do ninjas.

I own AC4. I got it as a gift.

But, really, AC3 just sapped my interest so much that I've never even opened it.

Considering how much I loved the entire Ezio trilogy, it's amazing how badly that game could kill my interest. I just don't care about it any more. The best characters (Lucy and Ezio) are gone. The gameplay focus really deteriorated. And when I don't care about either Desmond or Connor, there is literally nothing giving me a reason to keep going. Not even the promise of hearing more Q.

And Ubisoft pumping out a bug-ridden title every year doesn't help.

I doubt I'll ever play it. Too many other things higher on the to-do list.

DMKA
01-30-2016, 02:45 AM
The only franchise that comes to mind is Sonic. Dear God someone put it out of its fanbase's misery.

I don't think it has reached anywhere near its full potential, but the thing is, I don't think it ever will. In the hands of a developer/publisher team that didn't have the priority set Ubisoft has, it could have evolved into something truly amazing. But because Ubisoft is the creator and owner of the franchise forever, there's next to no chance of it ever changing beyond its base formula, which I will admit has been stretched about as thin as possible. I say this as a (jaded) fan of the series.

But then again, it was recently announced that there's not going to be an Assassin's Creed this year, that the next game will be released in 2017 at the earliest, which makes it sound like Ubisoft isn't so concerned with it being an annually churned out franchise anymore and actually plans on doing something different with the next game. So who knows, it might actually redeem itself? I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I won't hold my breath while doing so.

Slothy
01-30-2016, 03:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken the team that made AC3 had about two years to work on it and, well... yeah. I have zero faith in ubisoft these days, but I can say the same for an awful lot of companies.