PDA

View Full Version : Stat Maxing gripe

CactuarKing
01-28-2016, 08:27 AM
So, I understand spending A LOT of time maxing out the sphere grid.

I understand fighting monsters to obtain spheres and replacing them for +4 stats.

My real gripe is Luck. To max the rest of the stats, you need to obtain the +4 stat sphere, then just use Power, Ability, Mana or Speed spheres which can be really easily obtained.

But, for some reason, to max luck, not only do you need to fight an annoying boss (which takes a while to defeat due to annoying animation of spells) to obtain the +4 Luck spheres, but you need to then fight another original creation (with equally annoying animations and an inability to really hurt you) to obtain a measly 2 Fortune spheres to activate these new nodes (thus feeling like it takes almost forever).

I can get 40 Power, Ability, Speed or Mana spheres in one fight to breeze across the sphere grid, but must then spend HOURS trying to increase Luck to a useful level. With every character needing around 40-60 Fortune spheres depending on how high you raise the Luck stat, this feels like it is just stupid.

At this point, only the Dark Aeons and Penance/Nemesis stand any real chance of hurting me, and most other attacks are dodged or are very weak against me.

What do you guys/gals feel?

Mr. Carnelian
01-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Maxing the stats in FFX is a waste of time. Why bother? Personally, I don't even bother with the Dark Aeons or any of that magubbins.

Pumpkin
01-28-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm not much of a stat maxer myself, but that does sound quite frustrating if that's something you want to do

Bubba
01-28-2016, 02:28 PM
It sounds like a bit of a slog but that is always the case with stat maxing. I tried to do this in FFVII but trying to find enough sources to max everyone would take forever. Using the W-Item glitch helps a lot but not for all the sources. I think it might have been Luck again that was the awkward one.

My FFX playthrough I was pretty well kitted out but I didn't love the game enough to put that amount of effort in.

Karifean
01-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Maxing luck is always where I drop the game if I actually go for it. The tedium and boredom is just too much.

Fortunately, you don't really have to raise luck much. I believe 30 is theoretically enough for the standard strategy against Penance, and you can just work with overdrives against enemies before him since they always hit. And if you really want to raise luck, just raise ONE person's luck and leave everyone else's.

So, uh, better just steer clear of that whole business.

CactuarKing
01-29-2016, 05:57 PM
The idiot inside me wants to max luck to 255 for everyone. Just call it an Obsessive Compulsive thing inside of me. I am getting pretty close to this goal too. One character now has 255 luck, and all have 255 on most of the other stats. Just need to farm the fortune spheres. And then HP Spheres. And then activate them all........

Pete for President
02-01-2016, 02:20 PM
I never maxed luck to 255. 100-140 was enough (if I recall correctly) to beat all Dark Aeons, Creations and Penance.

I also never bothered deleting nodes and adding +4 ones, filling up all the empty ones worked. IIRC I also never maxed out magic. It's pretty useless since melee will do more damage anyway when you max strength.