PDA

View Full Version : Is Tifa Weak?

Midgar Mist
01-30-2016, 01:11 AM
So.....I've played original VII many times, watched Advent Children and played (most of) Dirge of Cerberus.

I've come to this conclusion regarding Tifa....

Despite the fact that she has all those kickass moves, she's a weakass Damsel in Distress

Its always
"Cloud Help!"
"If im ever in a bind [Cloud] will come for me, I want to experience that at least once"
and "I knew you'd come for me"

Barrett even says "stop acting so weak"

So in Advent Children i lived in hope. I rooted for her to win that battle with the Remnants....then they smoosh her....who comes to the rescue? Cloud (yawn)

I saw her helping Cloud on the ground assault in Dirge of Cerberus but....nothing that proves to me that she can stand on her own two feet.

So fellow EoFF'ers I ask you this

Did Zangan waste his time training her? Or was she worth it?
Discuss

Wolf Kanno
01-30-2016, 06:22 AM
Physically, Tifa is a pretty good powerhouse, but she's weak-willed and suffers from dependency issues. She's hardly the strong female archetype some fans treat her as because as you point out, she's always quick to have Cloud come rescue her. I've never really saw the character appeal.

maybee
01-30-2016, 07:24 AM
She's been through quite a lot and she's seen her father be murdered and her home town burnt down and massacred. She does rely on Cloud though a bit too much; almost like a young daughter too afraid to be apart from her mother. I wouldn't call Tifa weak as she's been through a massive traumatizing event, though there's stronger Final Fantasy females out there, that go through so much more and don't rely on the main male hero too much- Garnet, Rydia, Yuna, Terra, Celes, Ashe etc. Even Aerith didn't need Cloud for support; she flirted and fancied him and needed to be saved sometimes, but she didn't grab on to Cloud's arms per say.

I would put Tifa in the same box as Rinoa as they both rely on the main hero too much; and almost basically need to him to survive. As soon as Cloud went out of the picture due to mako poisoning, Tifa just couldn't cope anymore.

Tifa is big-breasted Rinoa imo; that gets away with bashing because of her sex appeal and physical strength. I don't hate these female characters but they are not the most independent girls and need their men far too much to help them stand.

Galuf
01-31-2016, 07:45 PM
Every time i see the title i see: Its Tifa Week.

Why did nobody tell me??:lol:

sinuosity
03-04-2016, 11:00 PM
The most disappointing thing about Tifa is how she doesn't challenge Cloud about his recollection of the Nibelheim Incident. But she's traumatised, and the plot kind of needs her to fail on that front, so she mostly gets a pass on that.

I always liked Tifa for some reason. I think it's her portrait in the menu (which is brilliant, although all of the FFVII character portraits are fantastic tbh), and her general attitude of this-is-sad-but-let's-get-through-it.

Midgar Mist
03-04-2016, 11:58 PM
I will say that she's basically a nice person. She helps Cloud in the hospital and the Lifestream which is something.

She isn't strong in terms of emphatically confessing her love for Cloud either and even at the end they don't really feel like a proper couple.

I heard Squaresoft cut a scene where it showed them coming out of the airship's Chocobo Stable, which implied....coitus :-D

But Square cut it and we are left with a weak lovestory as well as a weak Tifa.