PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Beginner FF Games

Pumpkin
01-30-2016, 03:22 PM
So you have a friend named Jordan who likes to punch you in the kidneys. You've tried talking to him about it but he just thinks it's funny and you're starting to get frustrated at this point. More importantly though, Jordan likes video games and, knowing you are a Final Fantasy fan, asks you for a recommendation. Jordan hasn't played any FF games before, or even any RPG's.

So you have two choices. You can recommend a game you think will get him hooked in the series without being too difficult for an RPG newbie like himself, or you can recommend a terrible intro game as revenge for the kidney punching.

What would your choice be for best beginner FF and which would your choice be for the worst beginner FF?

Fynn
01-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Best: FFIV. Simple, thoigh still challenging, and a good representation of the series as a whole.

Worst: Probably II. It's easy to get put off without the experience of foresight that you get from playing other games first

Galuf
01-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Best: FF VI. less likely to give up when losing because you keep your EXP. and a great story
Worst : FF2 or FF13: I Say maybe 13 because it could ruin your perception on the series. or if your like me it will just make the other games better :). but FF2 i guess has the same effect, as i know a newbie wont get far. ( i tried playing ff2 after 13 & 6. didnt go well ^^;)

som e friend Jordan is.

Ayen
02-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Okay, if I had a 'friend' who liked to punch me in the kidneys I guarantee you we wouldn't be friends for long, but I'll play your game.

Best: Final Fantasy VII. It was an entire generation first Final Fantasy, I think it'll do fine.
Worst: Final. Fantasy. III.

I hope you burn in the lowest pits of hell, Jordan!

Galuf
02-01-2016, 08:47 AM
I think ff iv DS may cause jordan some pain. Though ive not played it.

Mr. Carnelian
02-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Best: X. There are shiny HD versions which don't look too old-fashioned, and it's very straightforward to play, as well as being enjoyable. This is what I started out on.

Worst: Any of the really old ones. Without the benefit of nostalgia or previous knowledge of Final Fantasy, they're probably going to get REALLY frustrated at it and give up.

Fynn
02-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Worst: Any of the really old ones. Without the benefit of nostalgia or previous knowledge of Final Fantasy, they're probably going to get REALLY frustrated at it and give up.

You're talking from experience, I take it? :p

Formalhaut
02-01-2016, 02:02 PM
So you have a friend named Jordan who likes to punch you in the kidneys. You've tried talking to him about it but he just thinks it's funny and you're starting to get frustrated at this point. More importantly though, Jordan likes video games and, knowing you are a Final Fantasy fan, asks you for a recommendation. Jordan hasn't played any FF games before, or even any RPG's.

I have a kidney punching addiction, I can't help it!

But probably FFX for the best starter. FFIX has too many homages to be an appropriate starter, and while FFVII is a great game, it is better appreciated by someone already piqued by the FF brand. FFXIII is for those (Mr. Carny) who prefers faster-paced gaming with a modicum of tactics.

I've not really played any of them lower than FFVI, so I can't really comment. FFIV seems like a solid entry though.

Saber
02-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Best Starter : Final Fantasy VII. It is the whole reason Final Fantasy became mainstream before. It has to be the best starting one to have so many followers.

Worst Starter : Final Fantasy XII. It doesn't have the same effect as the other entries. Magic is not so powerful and summons are not the same. It would make him miss out on so much.

Rin Heartilly
02-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Best starter: X, soooo many people started on X. Nice graphics, good story, decent characters, Lulu's boobs, lots of content, cool summons, story-line is pretty straight forward and interesting.

Worst starters: I, II, III. He'll ragequit.

maybee
02-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Best: FF X. Starts off forgiving and battles are simple and easy to understand.

Worst: FF XII. FF I- III.

Vermachtnis
02-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Best: V, it's a good place to start with the normal FF jobs. The story isn't complicated and the music is great. And it doesn't it take itself to seriously and it's not all that difficult. And most importantly, this game is the best teacher of how broken you can make your team with a little experimentation.

Worst: Tactics, first of all this game plays way waaay different then the others. It can also be a little unforgiving if you don't pay attention. And that goes double for the story.

Wolf Kanno
02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Best Starters: Any FF made after FFV. Starting with VI the series has incorporated more user friendly elements to make the games easy and enjoyable for newcomers.

Worst Starters: Any FF made before FFVI. There's a reason their called Old-School FF. If the guy doesn't walk away from being bored by the lack of constant gripping story and character drama, he'll certainly leave in frustration by the entries difficult and archaic game design.

Jordan: DAMMIT! I hate this game! I just several hours of work cause I got hijacked by a some powerful monsters and I blew through all of my items and MP. This game is just obviously terribly designed.

Me: Why didn't you save more often so this wouldn't be such a loss?

Jordan: Um, because I only need to save when I'm done playing, tard.

Me, Um, no dumbass. You should be saving anytime you accomplish something noteworthy, even if it's just a level up. These games can be brutal and you never know when a battle may go south for you. You know "save often".

Jordan: Whatever, this game is just poorly made...

Me: I knew I should have just drugged you and harvested your organs for the black market instead... :shifty:

Jordan: What did you say?

Me: I said you might have better luck with these two other series I know: Shin Megami Tensei and Dark Souls. How about I get you a drink wile you settle in and familiarize yourself with the games?

Ayen
02-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Why do I get the feeling Wolf Kanno really does have a friend who punches him in the kidneys?

Fynn
02-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Why do I get the feeling Wolf Kanno really does have a friend who punches him in the kidneys?

Plot twist: it's actually Ayen himself

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
I'd have to go with Final Fantasy X. It was the first one I really loved and I feel like it would suck someone in most effectively. That said, maybe it would be smart to start with VII because let me tell you from experience, once you go 'good graphics' it's hard to go back.

Omni-Odin
02-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Best: FFX, so user friendly
Worst: FFXII, VIII, or V. The junction system confuses even seasoned FF veterans. (Not me, I love it ;))

Crop
02-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Probably FFX. It was my third FF game but it's my second favourite by a long shot. I feel like having the ability to play the HD version just makes it even better to have as someone's first.

Worst would be XIII, because not only is it a terrible FF, but it's a terrible game in general. Why would you recommend a terrible game to someone?

Rin Heartilly
02-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Best: FFX, so user friendly
Worst: FFXII, VIII, or V. The junction system confuses even seasoned FF veterans. (Not me, I love it ;))

Honestly I think most people that rag on the junction system are just lazy and didn't bother with the tutorials or anything. It's really not hard at all, if 10yr old me figured it out after skipping all pf Quistis's tutorials, then anyone can. :colbert: It even has an auto feature, all you do is pick magic for each stat that gives you the highest bonus and pick magic you want to add to your attack or defense. I have no idea why people would think it's confusing.

Pheesh
02-12-2016, 08:08 PM
all you do is pick magic for each stat that gives you the highest bonus and pick magic you want to add to your attack or defense. I have no idea why people would think it's confusing.

You do what with the who now? :confused:

Forsaken Lover
02-12-2016, 08:09 PM
I have heard countless testimonials from people who thought GF spam was the best way to deal damage in FFVIII. As such, it's clear most younger players did not understand Junctioning.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend FFXII or XIII to new players because both games are so radically different from their predecessors. It has nothing to do with quality - it's just that, even for a series that reinvents the wheel with each new installment, those two are very distinctly their own thing. Starting with them would give you bizarre expectations for the other games that will be shattered at every turn. Imagine going from twitch-o-mania FFXIII to FFX's CTB.

I agree with starting with VII. Good game in its own right and not that complicated.

The NES FF's should only be played by people who are already die-hard fans. So they're the worst.

escobert
02-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Probably VII or IX for best starter and I'd say II or VIII for worst starter.

Midgar Mist
02-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Here's my opinion:
Most Beginner Friendly: Final Fantasy 10
Least Beginner Friendly: Final Fantasy 8