PDA

View Full Version : Going against dem norms

Pumpkin
02-02-2016, 09:05 PM
I have to break a folkway (norms for routine or casual interaction) before Thursday and write about it. Any suggestions?

Likewise, what are some ways you've gone against the norms. What happened when you did? Let's keep it to more lighthearted stuff!

Fynn
02-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Ask someone what underwear they're wearing. You know - as an ice breaker!

Formalhaut
02-02-2016, 09:39 PM
I have to break a folkway (norms for routine or casual interaction) before Thursday and write about it. Any suggestions?

Likewise, what are some ways you've gone against the norms. What happened when you did? Let's keep it to more lighthearted stuff!

Ask someone their age, or what politics they believe in, or religion.

To answer your other question, I suppose I break many norms when it comes to my faith :p. But, I don't know. I tend to stick to the social rules. Don't want to expose myself.

Pumpkin
02-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Ask someone what politics they believe in, or religion.

Funny about this, we were talking about cultural differences in class today and one of them was me saying how that's much more private where I come from whereas here people practically shout it from the rooftops and tell you when they introduce themselves. So that one wouldn't work here :lol: I appreciate the suggestion, though!

Formalhaut
02-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Ask someone what politics they believe in, or religion.

Funny about this, we were talking about cultural differences in class today and one of them was me saying how that's much more private where I come from whereas here people practically shout it from the rooftops and tell you when they introduce themselves. So that one wouldn't work here :lol: I appreciate the suggestion, though!

True enough. How about boasting over much? Or talking about sex or taboo topics? Or invading someone's personal space?

Pumpkin
02-02-2016, 09:46 PM
The sex one and the personal space ones are good ideas. And Fynn's panty idea of course

Chances I get punched doing this experiment

theundeadhero
02-02-2016, 09:52 PM
With some luck, you could let out a ginormous fart when talking to a stranger and then see if they react or try to act like it never happened :)

Fynn
02-02-2016, 09:57 PM
OH yeah - slurping, burping, and other bodily noises also aren't too acceptable

Formalhaut
02-02-2016, 10:00 PM
The sex one and the personal space ones are good ideas. And Fynn's panty idea of course

Chances I get punched doing this experiment

What's to say we aren't offering up the most likely suggestions to get you punched? :lol:

Pumpkin
02-02-2016, 10:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/saTtpgM.jpg

Ayen
02-02-2016, 11:59 PM
With some luck, you could let out a ginormous fart when talking to a stranger and then see if they react or try to act like it never happened :)

I can confirm from personal experience that they won't say a smurfing thing.

Vasher
02-03-2016, 02:45 AM
As it's kinda "cool" here (46F), I'd open with "it's a tit bit nipply, ain't tit".

If you want to go against the grain, make a sarcastic quip regarding some aspect of atire/style. Those of quick whit and thicker skin will respond in kind, those lacking a sense of humor and/or thin skinned will either get defensive, or "run away". A good way to weed out the wieners.

Shiny
02-03-2016, 03:59 AM
One time I went in an elevator and stood facing everyone instead of toward the door. :freaksmiley:

Bubba
02-03-2016, 09:46 AM
I once ate a whole apple. Core and everything.

theundeadhero
02-03-2016, 04:02 PM
You monster.

Midgar Mist
02-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Where I come from (The Grim North of England) I never see same sex couples holding hands but when I go to the South I find gay couples hand in hand, with arms around each other. So i wish gay couples could be more open about it in Northern England, because its judged as okay when straight couples display PDAs. In fact, straight couples do it so often it becomes highly annoying at times. But they would judge a gay couple for doing the same thing. If anyone from elsewhere in the North of England wants to correct me on this they can go ahead, I'm not married to this opinion or anything.

It would also be nice if i felt like I could be more open about being bicurious. In my local surroundings i mean, on here I can be honest.

FFNut
02-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Have you tried breaking into song while saying hello.

Pumpkin
02-04-2016, 03:59 AM
I think I have come up with my thing. I'm staying up late to take a test and I will be sleepy, so I was thinking I could take a nap at school tomorrow. But it's always uncomfortable and I was thinking it would be cool beans if I could bring a pillow but that would be weird

Which is why I'm carrying a pillow around with me all day tomorrow. In class, in the library. If I go out this weekend, there will be pillow. Meeting on Monday? Pillow.

We're officially discussing what is and isn't allowed tomorrow in class, so I can always do something else if I need to, but either way I get to take a nap so A++

theundeadhero
02-04-2016, 05:12 AM
That's a pretty awesome idea. Just hop into the library between classes if you have time and take a nap. You can make sure to look around when you get there and after you wake up, as well as how peopel react just carrying it around.

Pumpkin
02-04-2016, 05:14 AM
Yeppers, I have about 2 hours before my first class, an hour and a half before my second class, and then about 3 and a half hours before I go home. There will be much nap!!!

Also, got 97.60% on my test. Got one question wrong

Vasher
02-04-2016, 06:13 AM
The library is great for power naps. If I was really shot, I'd get a DVD/VHS so that I would have a video viewing room to myself. Lights out. (literally)

Please tell me your uni's library has video rooms. (Essential to the power napper)

Another good avenue for the power nap, a professor that addresses the class in perfect monotone.

Congrats on the "A"!

Bubba
02-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Where I come from (The Grim North of England) I never see same sex couples holding hands but when I go to the South I find gay couples hand in hand, with arms around each other. So i wish gay couples could be more open about it in Northern England, because its judged as okay when straight couples display PDAs. In fact, straight couples do it so often it becomes highly annoying at times. But they would judge a gay couple for doing the same thing. If anyone from elsewhere in the North of England wants to correct me on this they can go ahead, I'm not married to this opinion or anything.

It would also be nice if i felt like I could be more open about being bicurious. In my local surroundings i mean, on here I can be honest.

The North of England isn't grim! That's just the weather :D

I think it depends on where you are in the North of England. I work in Manchester and there are lots of gay couples, men and women, that walk around hand in hand. I'm not overly keen on seeing couples with their tongues down each others throats but kissing, cuddling and holding hands is fine for any couple :)

Midgar Mist
02-04-2016, 03:34 PM

The North of England isn't grim! That's just the weather :D

I think it depends on where you are in the North of England. I work in Manchester and there are lots of gay couples, men and women, that walk around hand in hand. I'm not overly keen on seeing couples with their tongues down each others throats but kissing, cuddling and holding hands is fine for any couple :)

I agree with you, I think its sweet if couples are holding hands and giving each other a peck. But I don't like couples who make out in public. I see it occasionally and its inappropriate. Additionally to my paranoid mind its like they were rubbing it in my face that I was single. But im not anymore so.....

And I'm happy that Manchester is more enlightened than Huddersfield.

Bubba
02-04-2016, 03:44 PM
The Gay Village in Manchester is a great night out!

Pumpkin
02-04-2016, 04:03 PM
people are being super nice to me with this pillow thing you guys. People are giving me candy and the whole bit

theundeadhero
02-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Weird.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-04-2016, 07:42 PM
How many times do I have to tell you stop taking candy from strangers?!?!?

Did anyone get the license plate of the van she got into?

Ayen
02-05-2016, 08:12 AM
people are being super nice to me with this pillow thing you guys. People are giving me candy and the whole bit

What kind of candy?

Pumpkin
02-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Some kind of sour orange candy. I didn't like it too much because it was sour but eh

fire_of_avalon
02-05-2016, 06:06 PM
So I didn't read every post in thread because I I got excited, but you should not only engage a stranger/semistranger in conversation, but also touch them on the arm or shoukd er. And see what happens.