PDA

View Full Version : To be (candid), or not to be

Vasher
02-04-2016, 10:45 AM
So, some here respond to questions posed within threads as if they're "closed ended", others seem to share a little more. I'm wondering "what's your motivation?".

I'll start, "Hi, I'm Frank" (no, my name is not "Frank"). I am very open in my posts and share damn near TMI (ok, I probably have shared TMI... maybe twice). Why? I'm very vocal in person. I don't need to hide behind a shroud ("pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"). I'm right there in front of "you", take it, or leave it. I'm not out to puff smoke up someone's butt, or pretend that I'm something I'm not because "you" will be more comfortable with it. I'm like this face to face, so why be any different on the Interwebs? So why EOFF (former FFL alum)? In my humble opinion, RPG gamers (more so than any congregation), can extrapolate from my experiences, where the general public would just take it at face value (if they could even discern that). An appreciation for FF (in particular) is a very exclusive trait.

How about "you"?

CactuarKing
02-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Erm....what?

Where did this come from?
What is your motivation for this?

I am one who will be candid where necessary, but also a little reserved.
Just because I am sat behind a computer and not face to face does not give me any more right to insult/hurt/annoy people. I am empathetic and understanding on the whole.

Pheesh
02-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Some things I'm happy to disclose, other things not so much. I do so to help people out with advice and, if it's pertinent, I will give examples why I'm giving that advice by sharing my own story. That said, I have no real interest in receiving advice from people online. I have a strong irl base that I turn to for issues with my life and see no need to expand that as it hasn't really led me astray yet, and it is quite varied in its opinions. There is one person on here who actually knows what I'm like through and through, so why would I ask for personal advice if no-one really knows me personally?

Despite that, I will use EoFF to vent about certain things, just because sometimes it's nice to collect your thoughts in writing and get them out that way. But that is usually just in the rant thread or "things that made you happy."

Ayen
02-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Pretty much what Pheesh said. Not word for word, mind you, but pretty close.