PDA

View Full Version : The Shawshank Redemption & The Green Mile

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-05-2016, 04:27 AM
What do you think of these movies? They're both Stephen King movies. They're both written and directed by a man named Frank Darabont. They both take place inside a prison, only one has a tragic ending (Green Mile) and the other one has a more uplifting ending. Ironically enough, they both have an innocent man convicted of a crime that he did not commit.

Anyway, I really like the acting in both movies, specifically Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) and Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding (Morgan Freeman) not to mention Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks) and John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan).

Ayen
02-05-2016, 04:37 AM
Don't think I've seen The Shawshank Redemption, but I did see The Green Mile when I was younger. It was good and served as my introduction to Michael Clarke Duncan. Ending was sad, and messed up if I remember right. He basically ends up having to take the hard way on the chair as they didn't/couldn't use the water they always had to make it painless.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-05-2016, 05:34 AM
"Yeah, right. That's the way it is. It's down there and I'm in here. I guess it comes down to a simple choice really; get busy living or get busy dying."

"Get busy living or get busy dying, that's God damn right!"

charliepanayi
02-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Don't think I've seen The Shawshank Redemption, but I did see The Green Mile when I was younger. It was good and served as my introduction to Michael Clarke Duncan. Ending was sad, and messed up if I remember right. He basically ends up having to take the hard way on the chair as they didn't/couldn't use the water they always had to make it painless.

Not quite
It's another prisoner earlier in the film who is executed horribly as the sponge isn't wet (the mean guard deliberately leaves it dry). Coffey asks that they don't put a hood over his head though when they execute him.

Shawshank is an amazing film, one of my favourites. The Green Mile is good but it all feels a bit overwhelming in the end and the sentiment gets a bit too much.

Psychotic
02-05-2016, 10:08 AM
I had never seen the Shawshank Redemption because I randomly thought it was a stuffy period drama for the longest time. I saw a post by EoFF's very own I Took The Red Pill saying it was his favourite movie and I was like "huh. Well okay. I'll give it a go if he says it's good" and yeah, it was very different from what I thought it was so Keith I am eternally grateful to you.

Pheesh
02-05-2016, 10:24 AM
They're both amazing. The Green Mile is one of those films that will consistently bring me dangerously close to the eye sweats. I can't recommend them both enough to people who haven't seen them before.

Night Fury
02-05-2016, 10:41 AM
I like Shawshank but I prefer The Green Mile because Tom Hanks

Loony BoB
02-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Both of these films are truly excellent.

Crop
02-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Both films are great, but The Shawshank Redemption will always be one of my favourite films of all time. I literally cried tears of happiness the first time I saw the end. Wonderful film.

Jinx
02-05-2016, 02:12 PM
I've never seen Shawshank Redemption (and I really have no interest in it tbh) but The Green Mile is SO so good.

Rocket Edge
02-09-2016, 02:04 PM
TSR is the best movie I've ever seen. The Green Mile was really good too but my thoughts are similar to charlie's.

Has anyone seen 'The Majestic' from the same director? It got mixed reviews but I personally liked it a lot.