PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Dragoon

Pumpkin
02-08-2016, 04:51 AM
I am trying this game again. The battle button presses turned me off the first time, but I am powering through it. Not too far yet, just met Lavitz's mom

Anyone play this game? Have any tips for me? Want to share your thoughts?

Also the script, oh my gosh :lol:

FFNut
02-08-2016, 04:56 AM
I never have played this one, but I have heard many good things. Can't wait to check out your review!

theundeadhero
02-08-2016, 05:02 AM
The combat also made me quit the game.

Ayen
02-08-2016, 05:07 AM
I don't want to be that person, but this game was developed by Sony. Not Square Enix ^^;

I liked the game and still have it in my collection. I can remember getting all the way to disc 2 after what felt like a REALLY long time (disc 1 is long). But it's been so long since I played it I can't remember much of it to really offer any solid advice.

VeloZer0
02-08-2016, 05:27 AM
I quite liked this game. The additions didn't bother me as much as stuff like that usually does.

My advice is that you should prioritize building additions which give good growth for your dragoon levels. (When you get dragoons)

Pumpkin
02-08-2016, 02:22 PM
I don't want to be that person, but this game was developed by Sony. Not Square Enix ^^;

I liked the game and still have it in my collection. I can remember getting all the way to disc 2 after what felt like a REALLY long time (disc 1 is long). But it's been so long since I played it I can't remember much of it to really offer any solid advice.

I knew that I just posted it in the wrong section because I was half asleep :|

Freya
02-08-2016, 02:32 PM
You get better at the combat buttons. It becomes am interesting challenge.

I loved this game. It's one of my all time favorites. There's hidden stardust around the game too that if you get all of them you can fight an extra boss.

Pumpkin
02-08-2016, 02:34 PM
OH GOSH I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING THOSE I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT AN EXTRA BOSS

Vyk
02-08-2016, 03:31 PM
I played about 10 hours on my PSP, but apparently if you play on anything that has to emulate the game, then there's a bug in the emulation where if you go dragoon mode in a boss fight then the game freezes after the fight. So it became a slog of just playing like a normal game and not using dragoons like you're supposed to, and I felt I was missing out on the point of the game so I gave up. I'm not sure if this has been patched, or if certain systems emulate better than others. I don't think I've heard of anyone having problems on PS3, so you may be safe if that's what you're using, since PS3 can play PS1 games out of the box that probably has something to do with it. PS2 should be able to play it fine as well, though I ran into some weird issues playing Xenogears on my PS2 so I'm not sure how that works

Just something to be wary of. Outside of that, I did enjoy what I played of the game. It's fairy basic as far as plot and characters. But it's not so minimal as to be unenjoyable. It's competent and gets the job done well enough for me

Pumpkin
02-08-2016, 03:36 PM
I'm playing it on the PS2, but I have a PS1 ready to go if I need to. Just need to move the memory card. Thanks for the headsup!

Laddy
02-11-2016, 01:06 AM
MADness....heROOO

Freya
02-11-2016, 02:53 AM
GUST OF WIND... dance.

Where's lwl, he loves the shit out of this game.

Vyk
02-11-2016, 05:38 AM
I need to get this game on a stable system so I can play through it proper. Maybe once I'm satisfied padding my PS2 collection I'll work on PSOne

Del Murder
02-11-2016, 04:56 PM
I tried this game a couple years ago. When I first started this game I was like, hey this looks like FFVII! But the translation is horrendous and the combat can be slow and clunky. I'd swear I have those button presses down right but then I would miss the next 5 of them. The game didn't age well.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-11-2016, 05:31 PM
I tried this game a couple years ago. When I first started this game I was like, hey this looks like a blatant FFVII rip-off! But the translation is horrendousAlso, the Engrish is fantastic and the combat can be slow and clunky methodical and challenging. I'd swear I have those button presses down right but then I would miss the next 5 of them. The game didn't age wellThe game aged like a classic novella. It's not perfect, so it gets a 9/10.

I just wrote a modern game review! :lol:

This game is rough now, but I still finding it charming and enjoyable. Plus I really like the music.

The voice acting was atrocious, but it didn't matter then. A PS1 game with voice acted FMVs?!?!? OMG, SUCK IT SQUARE.

Laddy
02-11-2016, 07:07 PM
COOOOOool BOOOGiee

Pumpkin
02-11-2016, 07:08 PM
The Engrish is easily the best thing about the game

Also Rose being like "Dis bitch" everytime Shana gets one of her "headaches"

PULL IT TOGETHER SHANA, GEEZ

Freya
02-11-2016, 07:25 PM
GEEZ. How far are you into it?

Pumpkin
02-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Not too far yet. Shana got sick and whatever so now I'm wandering around a merchant town

Freya
02-11-2016, 07:28 PM
I like that merchant town. So you're getting closer to the end of the first disc. You already passed the fire mountain thing then.

Pumpkin
02-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Yep. Is it already almost the end of disc 1? Wow.

Freya
02-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Well you have that merchant town and then some old "town" and then some castle (to be vague). Those all take some time but yeah, you're close.

I remember that bird in the mountain gave me a hard time.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-11-2016, 07:49 PM
She's actually pretty good at the button inputs. Last night she was struggling with two new ones, but usually after she learns the patterns she's consistent.

Better than I was from what I recall.

I mean, she still hates it, but she's not bad at it.

Vyk
02-12-2016, 01:11 AM
It may also be one of those games that suffer from a difference in screen refresh rates and was meant to animate slower or something on a CRT perhaps. I don't know the technicalities behind it, but some games don't translate exact precision well between TV types. I don't recall having any issues on my PSP, but I can imagine what Del is talking about

Slothy
02-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Anyone play this game? Have any tips for me? Want to share your thoughts?

I have no tips because I seriously did not like this game. The battles, story, and characters all fell completely flat with me.

Pumpkin
02-15-2016, 12:20 PM
I got to disc 2!

Some of these boss fights are super frustrating. The game imposes a stupidly small limit to the amount of items you can carry. And I do mean AMOUNT and not TYPE. You get 32 items. Period. For healing potions, revive items, items to remove status effects, and magic items because you cannot use magic in this game unless transformed, which also takes some time to do in boss fights where the boss MAGICALLY gets to spam their strongest and best move every second turn.

My solution would be to grind but you can't because this game is made so enemies give a minuscule amount of exp, and bosses give you the amount you need to be where the game wants you to be. So because of that, boss fights are very, very frustrating.

The story has been picking up. I really wasn't expecting them to kill someone off on the first disc, and it was actually pretty sad because he had been pretty central to the story. Hard to imagine the replacement character being there for most of the disc

The story is starting to pick up, I still don't like the gameplay, Rose is OP as all heck. So far my opinion is "it's alright"

Ayen
02-15-2016, 03:23 PM
That would explain how I got as far as I did without grinding. That and dumb luck.

Yeah, Lavitz's death is sad, though after FFVII losing somebody on the first disc wasn't that big of a surprise to me.

Pumpkin
02-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Disc 2 might not actually work :lol:

Imma switch everything to the PS1 and see if it works there but it may be a no go

Ayen
02-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Is it badly scratched up?