PDA

View Full Version : Let's see what the fuss is about.

Pheesh
02-08-2016, 06:17 PM
So I've never finished it. My first Final Fantasy was VIII and the first Final Fantasy I really enjoyed was X, but in an effort to cure boredome I'm playing through the ones I have copies of.

Anyway, back to VII. I tried playing it a few times, the graphics were just too atrocious for me to even get past the first 10 minutes. I think had I known they were notoriously bad I may have been caught less off guard, but it was like getting slapped in the face by a giant lego hand. The second time I tried I got a little further but I think I got distracted and the graphics were still too terrible.

This time around I'm playing it on my Vita and it's much more bearable. The smaller screen kinda hides the graphical downfalls and it feels a little bit more right that I should be playing it like this instead of on a huge HD screen. This is not a game for huge HD screens.

So I'm currently 5 or so hours into the game and I'm pretty positive I'll get through it considering I've burnt myself out on most of the other games in my rotation. So far my analysis is this:

It's okay...

Stay tuned for more riveting play by play analysis as I work my way through the rest of the game.

*Disclaimer* This isn't a Let's Play. More just somewhere I'll collect my thoughts (they'll be more in depth that that ^) as I work my way through the game, and I thought it might be interesting for people to see what it's like for a person to work their way through the original version of the game having never played it before. The only bummer is that I do know the gist of most of the story, but there's been plenty of stuff that I wasn't aware of that has already gone on, and I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Night Fury
02-08-2016, 06:19 PM
I am so envious of you and your first ever playthrough! I'd love to have my FFVII cherry popped all over again. Magical times.

maybee
02-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Just going to say this- it's okay if you don't end up enjoying or loving the game. You have a right to your opinions. Hope you have fun and a good time though ! :jess:

Pumpkin
02-08-2016, 07:14 PM
I didn't like it much the first few times but I did like it after I powered through the first disc. Turns out I just don't like disc 1 very much! But hopefully you get some enjoyment out of it!

Formalhaut
02-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Cherish the first disc; the first disc is the best section of the game, for me.

Pheesh
02-08-2016, 07:59 PM
So my (more in depth) thoughts thus far are this.

The opening reactor scene is pretty underwhelming, it definitely didn't grab me and make me want to keep playing or anything like I feel an opening sequence should. I figured maybe it suffered from not having a particularly interesting opening cutscene like VIII or X did, but I was playing FF II the other day and even that drew me in straight away and that was just some generic narrative. Either way, I pushed onward and I feel much more immersed now.

One thing I'll say about the graphics is that, as terrible as they are, they're not without some charm, and it is funny to watch Barret shake a fist or jump up and down in rage.

One of the things that most surprised me was how much I've enjoyed both Tifa and Aeris (that's just what she's called in this version, I have no investment in the name so take your rage to the other thread >_< If I was playing Kingdom Hearts or something then I'd say Aerith). I always got the impression from others that it was more of a "you'll either like one or the other" sort of thing, but I legitimately like both characters. I think I maybe prefer Aerith a little bit more at this point just cause of her sense of adventure, but Tifa's boobs light-heartedness and banter with Barret is equally enjoyable.

The whole Don Corneo section was a lot of fun, I especially enjoyed running away from the lecherous dudes. It's also refreshing how mature of a game this is, it's surprising that so many children would have played it before they probably even hit double digits. A lot of it must have been lost on kids on first playthrough.

Anyway, I'm currently at the 62nd floor of the tower and working my way up (I took the sneaky stair entrance and MY GOD, the vita directional buttons are not comfortable enough to be used in such a manner). One other thing I've really enjoyed while I remember is the little mini game-esque bits that are smattered throughout. Pushing the button at the same time in the reactor, or sneaking past the guards, it keeps it refreshing.

The bad? The combat is booooring. I usually just read the forum and mash attack for most battles and then cure in between battles if it's necessary. I've died once so far and that was to the Air Buster. I got a bit reckless with not curing or using potions and discovered I only had 1 phoenix down, got him the next time though. Also, the enemy designs are horrible. They make less sense than some of the new Pokemon designs. Humanoid guard things that stand in a frog squat? A house that sprouts limbs? I'll have some of whatever the designers were having.

Anyway, I'll get back to it now and do another big update when I've progressed further along.

Pumpkin
02-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I think a lot of people like Tifa and Aeris. I actually really like the friendship between them as well so maybe you'll enjoy that since you seem to like them both

Bubba
02-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Yeah, this game isn't to everyone's taste. Even people who played it back in the day.

The gameplay is still solid though, even if you aren't keen on the graphics or story.

Ayen
02-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Graphics are fine. I find they aged a lot better than VIII's graphics for the same reason Street Fighter II aged better than Mortal Kombat, lack of realism. My eyes needed a moment to adjust to picking up VIII again whereas VII? Not a problem. Has a real Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe to it.

The opening reactor is great and I love the scorpion boss fight and rigging the place to blow. Next reactor is kind of wash, rinse and repeat, though. I agree on Tifa, Aerith, and the charm. Cloud liked to shrug a lot in his heyday.

Shauna
02-09-2016, 08:32 AM
The bad? The combat is booooring. I usually just read the forum and mash attack for most battles and then cure in between battles if it's necessary. I've died once so far and that was to the Air Buster. I got a bit reckless with not curing or using potions and discovered I only had 1 phoenix down, got him the next time though.

Press X to win! Honestly, you'll be doing that throughout 90% of the game. There are a few boss battles that you'll need to pay a bit of attention to, but overall... nah.

Rin Heartilly
02-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Cloud in the original FFVII is best Cloud, let's be real here guys.

"Alright everyone, let's mosey"

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Graphics are fine. I find they aged a lot better than VIII's graphics for the same reason Street Fighter II aged better than Mortal Kombat, lack of realism. My eyes needed a moment to adjust to picking up VIII again whereas VII? Not a problem. Has a real Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe to it.

The opening reactor is great and I love the scorpion boss fight and rigging the place to blow. Next reactor is kind of wash, rinse and repeat, though.

Everything you just said... I think the opposite :p

Pumpkin
02-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Yeah I agree, I can't stand VII's graphics compared to the other games in the series and the controls are cluuuunky

Rin Heartilly
02-09-2016, 01:32 PM
I remember the pointer finger you can bring up with the 'select' button....and it talks to Cloud in-game. I didn't know those things were alive.

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Is it just me or is everyone in the FFVII world completely impervious to falls from great heights!?

Loony BoB
02-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Press X to win is very relevant in this game, yeah.

Is it just me or is everyone in the FFVII world completely impervious to falls from great heights!?
This goes for pretty much everyone in the entire FF series. I wonder if Dyne really did die, or if he just got a bit sore.

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Welp, I crossed the marsh on a chocobo, tried to enter the cave and then an error message popped up on my vita. I restarted the game cause I'd saved recently and my entire save game has just vanished from my memory card. Completely gone.

I tried rebuilding my Vita's database from safe mode and that still did nothing so I guess that's that...

I'm extremely annoyed and just don't have it in me to restart all of that again after having just done it. Maybe I'll see if Night Fury wants to get me back to that point in the game and I'll take it from there. But this is indeed a massive bummer :(

Ayen
02-09-2016, 04:45 PM

The opening reactor is great and I love the scorpion boss fight and rigging the place to blow. Next reactor is kind of wash, rinse and repeat, though.

Everything you just said... I think the opposite :p

Welcome to Fynn's world. You'll receive the grand tour shortly.

Yeah I agree, I can't stand VII's graphics compared to the other games in the series and the controls are cluuuunky

Disagree on the controls. I never had a problem with them as a kid or an adult. You want clunky? Go play Broken Helix. Damn game nearly took my thumb off.

Welp, I crossed the marsh on a chocobo, tried to enter the cave and then an error message popped up on my vita. I restarted the game cause I'd saved recently and my entire save game has just vanished from my memory card. Completely gone.

I tried rebuilding my Vita's database from safe mode and that still did nothing so I guess that's that...

I'm extremely annoyed and just don't have it in me to restart all of that again after having just done it. Maybe I'll see if Night Fury wants to get me back to that point in the game and I'll take it from there. But this is indeed a massive bummer http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/frown.gif

Aww dude, I feel for you. I had the same thing happen to me with the original Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

Zanmato
02-09-2016, 04:54 PM
The bad? The combat is booooring. I usually just read the forum and mash attack for most battles and then cure in between battles if it's necessary. I've died once so far and that was to the Air Buster. I got a bit reckless with not curing or using potions and discovered I only had 1 phoenix down, got him the next time though. Also, the enemy designs are horrible. They make less sense than some of the new Pokemon designs. Humanoid guard things that stand in a frog squat? A house that sprouts limbs? I'll have some of whatever the designers were having.

Combat is one of the most important things to me in every RPG game and if FFVII is basically "Press X to win" game, there's no reason for me to play it. :shrug:

I feel that FFVII is getting closer to being a truly overrated game, like GTA series, but it's just me...

sharkythesharkdogg
02-09-2016, 04:58 PM

I'm extremely annoyed and just don't have it in me to restart all of that again after having just done it. Maybe I'll see if Night Fury wants to get me back to that point in the game and I'll take it from there. But this is indeed a massive bummer :(

Dang......at least it wasn't really far along? That still sucks. :(

escobert
02-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Once I saved over my file on accident. I was over 100 hours :(

I actually love FFVII's graphics in the newer PC version. they gave everyone mouths and things like that and it's just so much funnier looking.

Ayen
02-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Combat is one of the most important things to me in every RPG game and if FFVII is basically "Press X to win" game, there's no reason for me to play it. :shrug:

I feel that FFVII is getting closer to being a truly overrated game, like GTA series, but it's just me...

I took the time to grind before each major boss battle and got plenty of enjoyment out of it, and if the "Press X to win" thing is enough to ruin it for you there are a lot of FF entries you won't enjoy then.

Of course it's getting closer to being 'overrated'. Pretty much any game or series that is successful and becomes popular becomes 'overrated' on the internet. That's like a rule or something. I can't even take the word seriously anymore because of this. "This game was successful in X time? It's so overrated! Play this instead!"

Once I saved over my file on accident. I was over 100 hours :(

I actually love FFVII's graphics in the newer PC version. they gave everyone mouths and things like that and it's just so much funnier looking.

Sephiroth looks like a blow up doll in the PC version. It still kills me.

Fynn
02-09-2016, 05:15 PM

That's rich, coming from an FFX fan :lol:

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Well in FFX you are basically forced to use the correct black magic on enemies to stand any chance of killing them and that mechanic is introduced very early on. That wasn't the case in FFVII in so far as I had played, you could literally just attack every enemy and kill them easily enough without any trouble. It is press X to win in the most literal sense of the term. That is the main difference I noticed between this game and other final fantasy games I'd played.

Catching a chocobo was the most in depth mechanic I had been faced with in an actual battle cause I had to throw an item at it and then make sure I didn't accidentally attack it.

Formalhaut
02-09-2016, 05:28 PM
FFX has slightly harder combat, only by virtue of the puzzle battles. Though even they are easy. Lulu, use magic on flan! Tidus, attack that dingo! Wakka, hit that bird! That is most of the game.

Ayen
02-09-2016, 05:37 PM
One has you press X, the other tells you what to do before you press X.

I don't see much of a difference, personally. Maybe if X didn't tell you how to beat them and left you to your own devices it'd be different, but they don't.

Did I just argue against my favorite game? Goddammit!

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Anyway. Not a FFX thread guys :) I was merely remarking on my combat experience in Final Fantasy VII thus far. I honestly didn't exaggerate, I was browsing the forum while I mashed X on every battle except the boss ones.

Fynn
02-09-2016, 05:40 PM
One has you press X, the other tells you what to do before you press X.

I don't see much of a difference, personally. Maybe if X didn't tell you how to beat them and left you to your own devices it'd be different, but they don't.

Did I just argue against my favorite game? Goddammit!

:onoes:

Ayen
02-09-2016, 05:51 PM
The comparisons are fair because the game is being criticized for things that aren't exclusive to its entry. No one's trying to derail your thread.

Anyways, the enemies get harder the further into the game you get, as pretty much any game in existence. Least they did from my existence. I remember getting my ass kicked on Mt. Nibel on the playthrough I didn't grind because everyone and their mother kept insisting you didn't have to.

And when all else fails there are still the super bosses to give you your money's worth.

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 06:00 PM
The comparisons are fair because the game is being criticized for things that aren't exclusive to its entry. No one's trying to derail your thread.

I get it, but you guys are talking about something different. Both have very simplistic combat mechanics, but I'm saying I was playing without looking at the screen and that I was unable to do that in Final Fantasy X.

Formalhaut
02-09-2016, 06:14 PM
FFVII becomes difficult if you impose self-made challenges on yourself, like starting gear only, or no materia, or a solo run. But for a standard game, FFVII is definitely one of the easier FFs. There are a few spikes in difficulty though; I remember the Lost Number boss being difficult. And of course the superbosses go without saying.

Shauna
02-09-2016, 07:44 PM

Disagree on the controls. I never had a problem with them as a kid or an adult. You want clunky? Go play Broken Helix. Damn game nearly took my thumb off.

Just because other games exist that are more clunky doesn't mean this game isn't clunky.

Bubba
02-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure clunky is the right word. Not for me, anyway. It can be difficult navigating the pre-rendered environments, especially when you are the size of a flea, that is just a tad awkward.

The battle system was very smooth and fluid though.

Pheesh
02-09-2016, 07:59 PM
I found changing targets to be unintuitive. Often times I would press in the direction of the enemy I wanted to target and the cursor either wouldn't move or would sometimes end up going towards my own party members. Maybe that's something you get more used to the more you play but it happened to me numerous times.

Ayen
02-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Just because other games exist that are more clunky doesn't mean this game isn't clunky.

Way to misunderstand my post. I'm not saying the game isn't clunky because other games are more clunky. I'm saying I don't agree the controls are clunky and giving an example of something I think was.

Bubba
02-09-2016, 08:50 PM
I found changing targets to be unintuitive. Often times I would press in the direction of the enemy I wanted to target and the cursor either wouldn't move or would sometimes end up going towards my own party members. Maybe that's something you get more used to the more you play but it happened to me numerous times.

Yeah, I think this has always been a problem with 2D RPG games. I've actually attacked my own party on numerous occasions playing FFII on my Vita. Much more than on any other FF game.

Loony BoB
02-09-2016, 09:11 PM
You had to mash the X button? I used to just hold it down. xD

Zanmato
02-10-2016, 03:13 PM

FFVII is more popular and it's praised because... Well, it's the FF-smurfing-VII, right? XD
I don't say that FFX is "the best in the world", but it's still one of my favourite video games of all times. :hattip:

escobert
02-10-2016, 06:31 PM

FFVII is more popular and it's praised because... Well, it's the FF-smurfing-VII, right? XD
I don't say that FFX is "the best in the world", but it's still one of my favourite video games of all times. :hattip:

While VII didn't do anything innovative combat wise, it's really the rest of the game that was the big deal.

Zanmato
02-10-2016, 06:41 PM

While VII didn't do anything innovative combat wise, it's really the rest of the game that was the big deal.

I agree, its universum is quite interesting! :hattip:

I'm afraid of very popular titles due to disappointing experience with GTA games and that's why I'm a bit unsure of FFVII as well... :shrug:

escobert
02-10-2016, 11:24 PM
The story is engaging, the mini games and side quests are fun. The characters aren't bad and there's lots of humor in it. And there's a lot to do. I've had a few plays that have gone well over 100 hours.

Zanmato
02-11-2016, 11:24 AM
The story is engaging, the mini games and side quests are fun. The characters aren't bad and there's lots of humor in it. And there's a lot to do. I've had a few plays that have gone well over 100 hours.

You're convincing, I must say! :handshake:
I'll play the game when I have a chance. :hattip:

Laddy
02-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Final Fantasy is matched only by IX in how big the game feels, both in size and scope. So many secrets to discover and diversions to grab you. I'd put in Top 5 for those reasons alone.

starlet
02-14-2016, 04:11 PM