02-10-2016, 12:23 AM
who are the most delightful and cute?

Here are mine

Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) "I lovvve Junes" :-D
Eiko (Final Fantasy 9)
Vivi (Final Fantasy 9)
Krile (Final Fantasy 5)
Marlene (Final Fantasy 7)

I know I often use Relm as part of my header but that's only because EoFF is somewhat limited in who you can use. I don't really know her. She is a child isn't she? From FF6?

Night Fury
02-10-2016, 12:28 AM
Not those little fuckers from 40 Winks that's for sure!

Galuf
02-10-2016, 12:31 AM
NONE OF THEM!
cept porom and vivi

Ayen
02-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Clementine from The Walking Dead Season One. She's just the most precious thing ever.

Midgar Mist
02-10-2016, 12:46 AM
Clementine from The Walking Dead Season One. She's just the most precious thing ever.

uhhhh, i asked about games. wait is that a game? walking dead has a game version?

Ayen
02-10-2016, 01:22 AM

uhhhh, i asked about games. wait is that a game? walking dead has a game version?

Yes. By Telltale. An episodic adventure game. There are two of them actually.

Karifean
02-10-2016, 01:24 AM
Ushio.

FFNut
02-10-2016, 01:31 AM
Realm is a little Bi**h. What ever you do don't ask her for a portrait!

Midgar Mist
02-10-2016, 02:53 AM
Realm is a little Bi**h. What ever you do don't ask her for a portrait!

Ok but.....who do you like?

Colonel Angus
02-10-2016, 04:58 AM
The Light Warriors in FFIII
Krile
Relm
Marlene
Mid

Pete for President
02-10-2016, 11:10 AM
The kid from Ni No Kuni, Oliver!

Fynn
02-10-2016, 11:14 AM
I find this hard because I often feel like children are super idealized in media and it looks like the people who write them have never really interacted with children and seen how rude, weird, and random they all actually are, not to mention emotionally unstable and trigger-happy.

I mean, I liked Nanako fine, but she was still kind of too perfect, being nice to everyone, and doing the frickin' laundry at age six. She's still probably one of the best portrayals of a kid in Japanese popular media.

blackmage_nuke
02-10-2016, 01:17 PM
The kid from Undertale is the only child character I can think of as actually being anything resembling a good character but the whole silent protagonist thing and the personality I project onto him/her probably helps.

Of the ones that don't annoy me there's Gau and Vivi

Rin Heartilly
02-10-2016, 01:56 PM
I find this hard because I often feel like children are super idealized in media and it looks like the people who write them have never really interacted with children and seen how rude, weird, and random they all actually are, not to mention emotionally unstable and trigger-happy.

I mean, I liked Nanako fine, but she was still kind of too perfect, being nice to everyone, and doing the frickin' laundry at age six. She's still probably one of the best portrayals of a kid in Japanese popular media.

This.

I mean I loved Nanako, but one of the main reasons for that was "holy cow, she is the sweetest most well-behaved kid ever. I wish my future kid would be as well mannered as her". She just seemed way too mature for her age. She is 6 - 7 years old. I have never seen a 7yo cook, clean, garden and be happily contented with a trip to the local mall on rare occasions and a T-shirt gift on even rarer occasions, especially considering she has no mum and her father isn't around much. The most bratty thing she's ever done was give her dad a lil smack on the backside, and that wasn't even bratty.

Formalhaut
02-10-2016, 03:10 PM
I have a feeling she's learned to be independent. Nanako's over-maturity simply highlights the ineptitude of Dojima's parenting. He can't hardly do any domestic tasks, which is probably a portrayal of Japan's more traditional gender roles. I doubt he had the need to do any serious housework. The death of his wife probably took the family into a tailspin. Not to mention the social pressure of a lone dad raising a child. Single-mother households are a rarity (though increasing, slowly), so single-father households are even more so. That and he has a hard job; I'm surprised he manages.

Really though, Nanako only becomes sweet after a month of getting to know you. She was always polite, but she was fairly shy around you until about Golden Week. Her exuberance towards Yu and his friends is probably a reaction to the lack interaction she had before he turned up. It sounds almost tragic, but her life was basically school -> housework -> T.V -> repeat. Someone wants to spend time with me?! If you were seven and had stunted social interaction, you'd be more than little 'eager'. Her contentment with otherwise small occasional trip is probably again an over-reaction; of getting as much joy as you can from it because you don't know when the next will turn up.

Fynn
02-10-2016, 03:13 PM
But you gotta admit it's ridiculous how she instantly hits it off with Kanami and just keeps repeating everything she says. It's like she's younger instead of older. Remember DAN takes place after the Golden epilogue.

Formalhaut
02-10-2016, 03:16 PM
But you gotta admit it's ridiculous how she instantly hits it off with Kanami and just keeps repeating everything she says. It's like she's younger instead of older. Remember DAN takes place after the Golden epilogue.

Yes, that's actually one of the things I didn't appreciate about P4: DAN. Nanako absolutely adored Yu, but only after a period of getting to know him. I think she first calls him 'Big Bro' in May, but doesn't really start showing affection in earnest until awhile later.

Skip to P4: DAN, and within a day of knowing Kanami, she's calling her 'big sis'. I suppose it is a way to show to the audience that Kanami can be trusted, because Nanako adores her, but it was poorly done. I'd rather it was handled differently.

Karifean
02-10-2016, 06:54 PM

Well my answer to who the "best-written" children are would've been way different, that's for sure.

Pumpkin
02-10-2016, 11:00 PM
Let's see

Vivi, obviously
Blitzball kid
Ness from Earthbound seems pretty chill so far
Alanis from Suikoden III
Yuzu from Suikoden II
Little Rydia
POLOM!!
Nanako from Persona
Little Rorona even though she should be grown woman Rorona :nonono:
Charis from Tears to Tiara II
Vivi again
Elize from Tales of Xillia
MOMO if she counts
March from Eternal Sonata

Those are the ones I can think of right now!

Vyk
02-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Nanako is a good kid, but I agree, not very well written. Oliver from Ni No Kuni is a good choice. I'm honestly not sure what his age is or if he'd count but I'm surprised Carol from Vesperia wasn't getting more love here. Elize is a good answer too. Though she goes psycho sometimes she at least has some depth and growth and believability.

I know not many have had the pleasure but I put my vote in for most of the cast of Tales of Innocence. Its kinda like Avatar the Last Airbender, where you could probably replace the cast with just sheltered adults because of how believable and relatable the writing is. Its very well done. And there's three or four kids on the team and none of them get on my nerves. Which is crazy for a JRPG. In fact I adore most of the cast. Even the youngest of them

Midgar Mist
02-11-2016, 03:01 AM
Wow........didn't expect such in depth....whoah.....

Forsaken Lover
02-11-2016, 04:19 AM
The kids from Little Lamplight in Fallout 3.

Serious Answer: my adopted d;aughter Lucia in Skyrim. I wanted to adopt her ever since I first arrived in Whiterun. But noooo, the Arch-Mage's quarter didn't count as a house. Pft. But I got her in the end. First I had us living in a house I built out near Dawnstar because I liked snow. But then giants and bandits kept attacking and I figured she was lonely. So I moved my family to Windhelm instead.

Fynn
02-11-2016, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I know this is t a thread about best written children ^^; It's just hard for me to take the idealized versions of children seriously, so most of the time I see nice children, I just think "FAAAAAAAKE"

Still, I love all the kids from FFTA. Which is great considering g it's almost an all-kid cast

Galuf
02-11-2016, 10:50 AM
all kids in fallout and elder scrolls shouldnt be near this list. :nonono:

Forsaken Lover
02-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Hey now, Little Lamplight was a really cool, if fucked up, place.

Vyk
02-11-2016, 03:26 PM
And to be fair, a good majority if the adoptable kids in Skyrim are pretty adorable

Crop
02-12-2016, 01:17 AM
That starving homeless kid in Deus Ex off the boat at Battery Park. I always give him a candy bar and he tells me the code for the secret entry to the base. Clever boy.

Formalhaut
02-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Even if I think children are rather too idealised, the inner paternal nature within me can't help but go all nurturing on them. Playing The Sims 3, one of my favourite experiences is raising children so that they get top grades and happiness.

I guess I'm an idealist, what can I say.

Midgar Mist
02-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Even if I think children are rather too idealised, the inner paternal nature within me can't help but go all nurturing on them. Playing The Sims 3, one of my favourite experiences is raising children so that they get top grades and happiness.

That's sweet :-)
I indulge my maternal instinct in The Sims 2

Fynn
02-13-2016, 06:56 PM

You can't really talk about badly written children in the Sims 3. There's no writing to speak of :p Still, the kids there are pretty well-done, I think.

And hey, you make me come across as some scary dude that doesn't want kids :mad2: I just mean, how can I be nurturing toward something that is not a kid, but just an idealized vision created by someone who probably never had to deal with toddlers? I mean, I love kids, but having had a brother eight years my junior can really make you a bit jaded in that regard. I still can't wait to be a daddy anyway!

Vermachtnis
02-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Marona, how has she not been mentioned yet. You people need to play Phantom Brave. And Castille from the same game.
Rom from Neptunia. One of my favorite scenes from the entire series is the one where she glues together all her picture books to make a giant picture book for Blanc to read to her.

Formalhaut
02-13-2016, 07:07 PM
You can't really talk about badly written children in the Sims 3. There's no writing to speak of :p Still, the kids there are pretty well-done, I think.

And hey, you make me come across as some scary dude that doesn't want kids :mad2: I just mean, how can I be nurturing toward something that is not a kid, but just an idealized vision created by someone who probably never had to deal with toddlers? I mean, I love kids, but having had a brother eight years my junior can really make you a bit jaded in that regard. I still can't wait to be a daddy anyway!

Of course you'll be a great dad; that goes without saying. And with video games, I'll just experience the idealism until me and Mr. Carny get hit full in the face of parentdom.

Forsaken Lover
02-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Fiction, especially video games, are all about escapism. That would include children being"idealized" from monstrous little terrors to adorably precocious and innocent angels.

Fynn
02-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Still, kids in real life are adorable while being little nightmares. To me, fiction is about being compelled by it, which is a form of escapism, but not all escapism is just mindless idyllic fantasy. I like realism in my escapism :p

Mirage
02-13-2016, 09:58 PM
those idiots in that fort in fo3

Slothy
02-13-2016, 10:05 PM

Definitely Sweet Pea. She's great in season 2 as well though.

Ayen
02-13-2016, 11:49 PM

Definitely Sweet Pea. She's great in season 2 as well though.

Yeah, though I wouldn't really call her 'nice' in that one.

At least not when I play her :shifty: