PDA

View Full Version : Listening to your own voice

Formalhaut
02-11-2016, 08:03 PM
So, as part of applying to a local government graduate scheme, I've had the displeasure of recording video responses to three questions set by the Local Government Association.

I'll neglect to mention the technical difficulties (my favourite was the video not recording the first 10 seconds of my recordings!) or the hate I have on my stammering (the first question alone took nearly twenty re-records; the website said it would only take 10-15 minutes; they were wrong).

But no, my voice. Is. Awful. I am honestly surprised people don't make a weird face every time I open my mouth. It sounds so nasally, and much deeper than what my voice sounds like in my head. It sounds so bad. I'm embarrassed having to play back my responses.

Does anyone else have this? Mr. Carny insists his voice sounds even posher than it does originally, as if that was even possible, but do you cringe at your own voice, or actually rather like it?

Fynn
02-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Yes.

Wanna share vocaroos for therapeutic purposes? :love:

Formalhaut
02-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Yes.

Wanna share vocaroos :love:

What's even a vocaroo?

See, this is how much I hate the sound of my own voice, I shy away from any and all voice recording software.

Fynn
02-11-2016, 08:08 PM
It's an online sound hosting service that lets you record your voice as well.

Night Fury
02-11-2016, 08:17 PM
I used to hate it, but I've grown to accept that is just how I sound, it's no big deal! Nobody has ever said they didn't like the sound of my voice for any reason. My accent though..... :shrug:

Karifean
02-11-2016, 08:30 PM
My voice sounds so much better in my head than on a recording. I honestly feel it just sounds boring. It's why I don't do videos or voice commentaries, I'd fall asleep listening to my own stuff. At least other people don't seem to mind it.

Fynn
02-11-2016, 08:38 PM
You have a very pleasant voice, Jinx!

Pumpkin
02-11-2016, 08:47 PM
I hate my voice as well

One of my future classes we will be recorded doing a role-play twice that semester and not only do I hate my voice but I hate myself on film and I am just so panicked about that

Galuf
02-11-2016, 08:51 PM
i hate how i sound, i sound so uh monotone? hang on lemme see my FFV LP, i wasnt so down the :lol:

EDIT: yeah i sound boring, and Scottish....

Shauna
02-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Used to care about how I sounded, don't anymore because I have to periodically listen to myself speak for quality checks at work, so. My voice is fine.

Fynn
02-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Longer, serious answer: Though I still kinda hate it, I'm much more comfortable with my voice recordings. I used to think it was way too high pitched and nasally, but I like it better now, after actively altering it to be a bit more, uh, grainy.

FFNut
02-11-2016, 09:02 PM
I hate my voice. In my head I sound like I have this deep memorizing voice, then I hear a recording and I go who is that child speaking. It's just awful.

Pheesh
02-11-2016, 09:03 PM
My voice always surprises me by how deep it is. It definitely doesn't sound that deep to me when I'm speaking, but there you go :shrug:

When traveling my accent is usually well received which is a plus.

Shauna
02-11-2016, 09:04 PM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1od13cjS4Zy

Dat Matt
02-11-2016, 09:08 PM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1dJ0LROdII0

Galuf
02-11-2016, 09:19 PM
All Scots please record your voice and post in this thread.

HTWh9j6uNQ8

Uh you asked sorry >_<

i dont know about Vocaroo. doubt my phone can handle it

Galuf
02-11-2016, 09:36 PM
YOU ARE SO SCOTTISH DUDE

and your voice is great

You mean me? um... uh.. t-thanks

Pheesh
02-11-2016, 09:44 PM
YOU ARE SO SCOTTISH DUDE

and your voice is great

Galuf, your actual voice sounds like fucking Braveheart and then when you type you sound like an anime character. What is this!?

Galuf
02-11-2016, 09:52 PM
YOU ARE SO SCOTTISH DUDE

and your voice is great

Galuf, your actual voice sounds like smurfing Braveheart and then when you type you sound like an anime character. What is this!?

um... idk... um honestly. so weird :shrug:^^;

Sephex
02-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Didn't read the thread, so I apologize if this was said. Most people don't like hearing their voice from a recording because we all hear it differently since vocalization vibrates through our own skull, obviously. I just have come to accept it and realized that since no one makes fun of my voice it just registers as normal to people, so I don't worry about it.

Night Fury
02-11-2016, 11:22 PM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0u2rSh25JQM

Pheesh
02-11-2016, 11:24 PM
10/10 top bantz

Crop
02-12-2016, 12:02 AM
It's awesome. My voice is like all the best bits from Patrick Stewart and Kelsey Grammer.

Madame Adequate
02-12-2016, 12:12 AM
My voice is second only to my appearance in things not to like about me.

starlet
02-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Like everyone else I loathe hearing my own voice. But other people seem to be ok with it. No, im not doing a vocaroo :colbert:

Galuf
02-12-2016, 12:15 AM
Like everyone else I loathe hearing my own voice. But other people seem to be ok with it. No, im not doing a vocaroo :colbert:

dont.

Do a Youtube :lol:

DO THE THING!

starlet
02-12-2016, 12:28 AM

dont.

DO THE THING!

no :stare:

Galuf
02-12-2016, 12:31 AM

dont.

DO THE THING!

no :stare:

Become... ONE OF US! ALL ONE!:stare:

Jenova:CORE
02-12-2016, 12:44 AM
I hate my voice too.. I dunno. There's something about it and the way I speak.

It sounds very mumbly and slur-like, almost like someone is slightly tipsy on alcohol, with a slight hint of nasal.

Laddy
02-12-2016, 01:15 AM
I'm told I sound like a rich gay kid.

Ayen
02-12-2016, 01:51 AM
I used to hate my voice, but after several recordings and forcing myself to listen to each and every one of them, I've grown much more comfortable with listening and sharing with others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maTD77sUI2k

I also enjoy watching others try to figure out what accent they're hearing.

I've had the following comments on my voice:

"You sound Asian, or African."

"You sound like Dusty Rhodes."

"You sound like Sylvester Stallone."

"You sound British."

"It's a Kansas accent with a dash of Southern."

Laddy
02-12-2016, 02:41 AM
I ran and hosted an online Survivor game and here's a video in which I drinking it announce the winner because you're not a real TV personality until you're drunk and inappropriate times, amirite?

http://youtu.be/RBF8Bv7Xsjg

I'm told my accent is very non-Tennessee and some claim it's even European. Can someone with a better eat be able to place it?

Zeldy
02-13-2016, 08:29 AM
I hate my voice and I work in sales. I feel like I sound like a boy. Don't even get me started on my awful accent. :(

My phonetics are unique to St Helens :lol: we pronounce our A's in the most grotesque manner, the word 'stairs' is the best example, I say "sturrrrrs" -__- and 'her hair' would be 'hurr hurrr'

VERY FUNNY.

Old Manus
02-13-2016, 09:05 AM
My voice sounds far less South Wales valleys scumbag in my head.

Blackmageboi
02-13-2016, 09:24 AM
My voice is way deeper, slower and more monotone than it sounds in my head. I have a slight brummie accent and don't pronounce a lot of t/h/g's. Hearing myself I'm amazed people can understand me.

Fynn
02-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Watch out, fake accent approaching

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Uu9RiOJ3f3

Galuf
02-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Woah, you sound like my friend. your both Polish though so uh... that might be why lol

Shauna
02-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Ah Galuf, I can hear the poncey East coast in your voice.

Fynn
02-13-2016, 12:06 PM
That's true, actually. Male, female, we Poles all have the exact same voice. Just wait for Zanmato to come in here and confirm that

Galuf
02-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Ah Galuf, I can hear the poncey East coast in your voice.

:stare:

no u

Janner87
02-14-2016, 02:40 AM
I don't like it. Although back home people kept saying my dad and I sound identical on the phone, I can't hear it. And it sounds way worse than what I hear through my own skull. I did a bunch of YouTube videos a while back, so I had to deal with it during editing, but I never really liked it. Sam seems to like it and even digs my accent. I dunno about it myself though. A German accent while talking English can't be a good thing.

During one Black Ops session a few years back someone once thought I was a black guy from the Bronx, judging by my voice. That completely threw me off. I think he was high.

Mr. Carnelian
02-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Does anyone else have this? Mr. Carny insists his voice sounds even posher than it does originally, as if that was even possible

Yep. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard a recording of my voice recently, actually. I sound so fancy.

Formalhaut
02-14-2016, 03:21 AM

Your voice is lovely! If I didn't know your nationality, I'd probably take a stab at German, actually.

I'll vocaroo myself soon.

Fynn
02-14-2016, 06:05 AM
[

If I didn't know your nationality, I'd probably take a stab at German, actually.

Oh good :roll2

Mr. Carnelian
02-16-2016, 12:37 AM

Your voice is lovely! If I didn't know your nationality, I'd probably take a stab at German, actually.

Oh good :roll2

Your voice is very nice, totally with Formy there. And I don't want to offend you, but it also sounds a bit German to me as well, actually. Kind of reminds me of my German stepmother. She was born in East Germany (back when it was a separate country), nearish the border to Poland, if that makes it any better. :p

I'll stick a vocaroo on here in a few minutes. Just need to set up my microphone.

EDIT: here we go. The sound quality's not great, but meh. I decided to read from Chapter One of the first Book in Rousseau's (my favourite philosopher) The Social Contract.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0J09WwP1bLj

Fynn
02-16-2016, 06:14 AM
As in I have a German accent? Or is my voice quality German?

Ayen
02-16-2016, 06:22 AM
Maybe it's because I haven't heard many German people speak, but I don't hear anything German about his voice. I don't even hear any noticeable accents. Are you really from Poland? Is Fynn even your real name? :stare:

Fynn
02-16-2016, 06:41 AM
I've actually been hiding in Minnesota all this time

Y'all got played

EDIT: Hey, Mr. Carny has a nice voice!

Shiny
02-16-2016, 11:51 PM
Most of the time I hate my voice and especially in the EoFF podcast. Since dealing with allergies, it's gotten better, but I'd rather not hear my own voice over recorded stuff.

TheKeybasHKey
02-19-2016, 04:56 AM
Actually i did a voice Reveal on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrZgXHTnZq4

To be honest, i sound kinda weird, it's just awkward to listen.

Psychotic
02-19-2016, 06:23 PM
here's my voice and some of my famous EoFF voice impressions

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kqBjSC74fL

I should point out I did not listen to your voices until I did this, so this is how I guessed you would sound.

Mr. Carnelian
02-19-2016, 07:35 PM
here's my voice and some of my famous EoFF voice impressions

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kqBjSC74fL

I should point out I did not listen to your voices until I did this, so this is how I guessed you would sound.

Your voice is magnificent. :hattip:

Midgar Mist
02-22-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm gonna see if my dumbass computer will cope with playing vocaroos so I can hear all your voices.

I write in American so much I bet y'all think I'm American too ;-)

And no one is allowed to hear my voice, I don't like my voice so...

Pheesh
02-22-2016, 08:48 AM
Has Ayen heard it at least? He can report back to us on what we're missing.

Rin Heartilly
02-24-2016, 10:19 AM
YOUR VOICES ARE ALL WONDERFUL :<

Fynn sounds like one of those cool Canadian celebs to my uncultured Aussie ears.

Psychotic sounds like one of those important 18th century sirs, that do swanky voiceovers for car insurance in Aus.

Formy has one of those fancy British accents that everyone always wishes they sound like. Mr Carny has one too but he sounds like someone who teaches literature!

Night Fury sounds pretty and feminine, like those princesses on kid shows :D

Galuf has an awesome Scottish manly man accent.

Jinx's voice is so pretty too and definitely not annoying sounding.

Ayen sounds like he was a high achiever in school and went to posh tutoring places.

My voice sounds like a screaming potato :shifty:

EDIT:

Okay here's my voice --> http://vocaroo.com/i/s1jAboEzVT1p

I have a pretty crappy voice, not gonna lie, doesn't help that I have a cold while recording either xD