PDA

View Full Version : WHY ARE THERE SO MANY THINGS TO WATCH ON NETFLIX!?

Ayen
02-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Me last night

I want to watch this, and this, and that, and this, and oh I gotta watch this, and this, and this, and this. AHH! I'LL NEVER HAVE TIME TO WATCH ALL OF THIS! SOMEBODY SEND HELP!

Talk about Netflix streaming and time management and stuff. What all have you streamed on Netflix? What all do you still want to stream on Netflix? How much of your life have been taken away by Netflix?

And this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this...

Mirage
02-14-2016, 09:37 PM
Because it is an on-demand video service.

I also don't really think there's an extreme amount of interesting stuff there.

Pike
02-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Honestly I mostly just watch Star Trek with it.

Bubba
02-15-2016, 11:58 AM
First world problems

Crop
02-15-2016, 12:03 PM
I'm thinking of getting rid of my Netflix actually, I've used it probably about 3 or 4 times in the last few months. I know the US has better stuff, but honestly after about a month of that I was pretty tired of it.

Ayen
02-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Honestly I mostly just watch Star Trek with it.

I added Deep Space 9 to my list since that's the one series I haven't watched yet, and TOS so I can see Season 3.

Right now I've mainly been streaming Hercules, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bob's Burgers, and checked out Reign yesterday and loved it.

Freya
02-15-2016, 03:21 PM
I watch so much netflix. I have missed a lot of tv shows over the years. I don't like picking up shows halfway into seasons so if I miss the first few episodes, I don't watch it at all. Netflix has allowed me to catch up on shows that are airing and on shows that have ended and i've missed.

Plus their originals are fantastic! I use the Marvel shows as workout incentives. I watch them on my tablet on the treadmill. I don't allow myself to binge watch them like the other shows on netflix.

Pheesh
02-15-2016, 04:28 PM
I was pretty unimpressed if I'm honest. I have to assume that the US version is much, much better for it to actually live up to the hype that surrounds it, because the Australian and UK versions are just kinda meh.

FFNut
02-15-2016, 05:04 PM
I was pretty unimpressed if I'm honest. I have to assume that the US version is much, much better for it to actually live up to the hype that surrounds it, because the Australian and UK versions are just kinda meh.

The Canadian version is meh too. However like Freya said I us it on catching up with shows such as Lost where I missed the first season and didn't want to jump in half way through.

Formalhaut
02-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Me and Mr. Carny use proxies like Hola to get around the whole 'America has everything' problem.

Freya
02-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Me and Mr. Carny use proxies like Hola to get around the whole 'America has everything' problem.
Yup! There you go! You really can only use it on a computer though with Hola so you can't use smart tvs or consoles for streaming but you'll have all the american access.

Ayen
02-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Are there some shows they're not allowed to show outside of the US, or is it just a case of Netflix spoiling their home country?

Freya
02-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Many shows are originally licensed by other companies in other countries when they air on tv. So even though Netflix may have the original rights to a show from the creator, if the rights were sold to a different company in whatever country, they have to negotiate with that company as well. Because of this, many countries have a smaller selection ON netflix. Like for example, the Netflix Original, House of Cards, actually aired in some countries on certain TV channels. Even though it's a netflix original, in that country, the rights were sold to that tv company. So they'll have to negotiate for their own original show to be on their service if netflix as a service came to that country after the tv deal was in effect.

But use Hola and get american netflix and tada!

Ayen
02-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Ohh. That's interesting. I find them having to negotiate to stream their own Netflix originals kind of amusing.

I had a feeling it was something like that since whenever they talk about removing shows over here it's always shows made by the BBC.

Mirage
02-16-2016, 01:15 AM
If it's a real netflix original, they don't have to negotiate anything. If they're just partially funding it, they might have to.

In either case, don't use Hola cause it's unsafe as smurf. Use Smartflix instead if you have to. That thing's more user friendly too.

Mr. Carnelian
02-16-2016, 10:41 AM
We watch ALL of our TV on Netflix. We watch a couple of hours of TV most evenings, during dinner and afterwards. We always have a few shows on the go at any one time. Right now we're watching Supernatural (Sam Winchester FTW), Psych (funny and charming) and Babylon 5 (spaaaaaace!). That last one's not on Netflix, actually, but I have it on my computer because I ripped it from DVD copies my family used to own.

Ayu
02-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Hate that time right after you finish something great, and you spend days trying to find something new to watch, but nothing compares the excitement of your previous show.

Freya
02-16-2016, 02:42 PM
If it's a real netflix original, they don't have to negotiate anything. If they're just partially funding it, they might have to.
No, it's a thing. (http://bgr.com/2016/01/08/netflix-us-library-vs-other-countries/)

“Access to Netflix isn’t just a pure numbers game because it will always depend on what it is you want to watch, and the specific rights Netflix holds in each territory,”Finder.com explains. “That doesn’t even extend to Netflix Originals series, where (for example) in Hong Kong, Netflix doesn’t stream House of Cards due presumably to the rights having already been assigned to another broadcaster.”

They only recently expanded to more countries and in those countries they had already had rights with broadcasters to show their originals. Those deals aren't up so they don't have them on netflix.

Pike
02-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Man I dunno where this "Netflix isn't that great" stuff is coming from, there's so much to watch on Netflix I'm never gonna have time to watch it all.

I guess maybe because I have US Netflix? *shrug*

TheKeybasHKey
02-18-2016, 09:30 AM
I don't have netflix, but i would watch it only for there original series.

Pike
02-18-2016, 10:32 AM

Good idea!

Arrested Development is gonna get a new season btw. That's reason enough for Netflix IMO.

FFNut
02-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Good idea!

Arrested Development is gonna get a new season btw. That's reason enough for Netflix IMO.

Best news i e heard all day!

Brennan
02-18-2016, 12:52 PM
My household has Netflix, but I rarely take the opportunity to actually watch anything with it. I have a backlog of video games too large for me to not play first.
Although, if Game of Thrones were to air on Netflix, I might be inclined to ignore all my gaming systems, because that's the only series to interest me in forever.

Freya
02-18-2016, 03:10 PM
HBO Now has Game of thrones! Different streaming service but you can get it streaming without buying full HBO with your cable now!

Shiny
02-19-2016, 08:59 AM
There is an app you can get on Roku and probably other streaming devices that picks like 3 things for you to watch on Netflix based on your recommendations and interests. It narrows it down quite nicely.

Mirage
02-19-2016, 10:35 AM
No, it's a thing. (http://bgr.com/2016/01/08/netflix-us-library-vs-other-countries/)

“Access to Netflix isn’t just a pure numbers game because it will always depend on what it is you want to watch, and the specific rights Netflix holds in each territory,”Finder.com explains. “That doesn’t even extend to Netflix Originals series, where (for example) in Hong Kong, Netflix doesn’t stream House of Cards due presumably to the rights having already been assigned to another broadcaster.”

They only recently expanded to more countries and in those countries they had already had rights with broadcasters to show their originals. Those deals aren't up so they don't have them on netflix.

Yeah, well, if they're selling their exclusive streaming rights they've got themselves to thank.

Zeldy
03-09-2016, 10:28 PM
I was off sick last week from work for 3 days - I watched the entire Narcos series and I'm now watching Pretty Little Liars. Narcos was incredible!

Freya
03-09-2016, 10:39 PM
I was off sick last week from work for 3 days - I watched the entire Narcos series and I'm now watching Pretty Little Liars. Narcos was incredible!
ISN'T IT?

I haven't met too many who have watched it. It's soooo good.

Pheesh
03-09-2016, 11:08 PM
I started watching Narcos and got a decent chunk of the way through it but I just sort of tapered off. It was good, just not good enough to hold my attention once other stuff came out.

Sephex
03-09-2016, 11:31 PM
You could always set up multiple TVs and watch a bunch of things at the same time. What could possibly go wrong?....

7Rfup0XKx7o

Kalevala
03-09-2016, 11:59 PM
My friends keep losing it because I'm not caught-up on anything and when they ask what I've been watching I respond with "...my third or fourth re-watch of Twin Peaks."

I've stopped worrying about watching every single great new show. If it's good enough, I'll get around to it when I get around to it.