Alistair
[whoever else, usually Wynne for heals]

Madame Adequate
02-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Mahariel warden
Wynne
Sten
Random Temporary Guy Who Always Gets The Ogre Kill Atop The Tower
Leliana (Love Zevran but always found Leliana better in combat)

If Warden is a rogue, then instead of Leliana, I'll bring Morrigan for mad deeps.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2016, 01:24 AM
Okay the above was a joke really it's Barkspawn, Daveth, and two Ash Wraiths

Spuuky
02-17-2016, 01:25 AM
Anyone but Alistair is fine, what a loser he is. Sorry buddy, I can see that you're a frail little flower using self-deprecation to hide from your shame, but it doesn't actually make me respect you as a human being.

Shale is the best (of course) in an independent sense, but I prefer Sten's interactions with others. Have to have a mage, obviously. My "ideal" party if I were to replay, for maximum combat balance and non-Alistair-related banter, would probably be Morrigan, Sten, Leliana, and obviously I'd be a mage personally.

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 01:29 AM
My 'ideal' party is usually:

Tank: Alistair, always. Guy can shrug off damage so adorkably.
DPS: My Dual Dagger Female Cousland fitted this spot.
Support: Wynne, typically, but Morrigan could adequately fulfil this role too.
2nd DPS: Anyone else. Another offensive Warrior, Leliana or the unused Mage. Zevran was used the least in this role.

Basically, whatever role I filled, I tended to use the character who also filled that role less. In DA:II, I played a Fem!Snark!Hawke, who wielded a two-hander. Fenris, while a great guy, didn't get so much of a look in combat. Playing the tank is probably the worst choice you can make. Alistair, Aveline and Blackwall all fulfil the role of tank remarkably. Having your Warden also be a tank is rather a redundant choice.

EDIT:

Anyone but Alistair is fine, what a loser he is. Sorry buddy, I can see that you're a frail little flower using self-deprecation to hide from your shame, but it doesn't actually make me respect you as a human being.

You dislike Alistair?!

Madame Adequate
02-17-2016, 01:34 AM
Fenris, while a great guy, didn't get so much of a look in combat.

fucked up if true

dude's a BEAST once you get some points into his personal tree

Pike
02-17-2016, 01:34 AM
Alistair is a Cute. But I usually play guys in games so I get together with Zevran. Who is the best character in the game btw.

Edit: I like being a ranger warden and shooting things

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 01:39 AM

smurfed up if true

I'm aware, but I was also a two-hander. Couple that with the virtually mandatory tank of Aveline, that's three front-line warriors. I try to have two ranged, two close combat generally.

My next DA:II playthrough will probably be as a Mage (just so I can.... experience Carver). I'll probably use him more then.

Vermachtnis
02-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Last time I played, I was rouge. I used Morrigan, Shale, and Oghren. We were the most heroic people who ever did hero.

Del Murder
02-17-2016, 06:00 AM
Warrior Cousland, Morrigan, Wynne, Leliana. Yes I chose the tank path because I didn't really know much about it. In DA2 I was a dual wield rogue and cut up everything and in DAI I am a mage who blows up everything. Both are much more fun than tanking.

Shauna
02-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Warrior Cousland, Morrigan, Wynne, Leliana. Yes I chose the tank path because I didn't really know much about it.

Yep. It worked out all right in the end.

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 05:40 PM
I suppose if you were to play as a tank, you could respec Alistair to become more offensive. It's what I'm doing in Inquisition, actually. My Inquisitor is a Artificer Archer, so I made Varric become a Dual-Dagger Artificer. No sense both of us occupying the same role!

Del Murder
02-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Or you can just not use Alistair because there are better characters.

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 05:53 PM
You could, but I'd find it strange never using a character. Even characters I dislike (like Vivienne, good God she's awful).

Shauna
02-17-2016, 05:59 PM
I never had Zevran or Sten or Oghren in my party at all. They were recruited and got to hang around a campfire.

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 06:01 PM
What was the point of recruiting them?

Shauna
02-17-2016, 06:06 PM
To have them recruited! So I can chat to them in my downtime.

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 06:14 PM
I guess. I'm wondering if there is enough approval through conversation alone to stop Zevran betraying you, but I imagine there probably is.

Shauna
02-17-2016, 06:16 PM
I banged Zevran :smug:

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 06:21 PM
I guess there's my answer.

If I look back at all the Origins companions, I'd say Zevran or Oghren were probably my least favourite. Which isn't to say I disliked them, but I didn't really get much from Zevran's character besides his obvious flirtation. He was funny, though.

Pike
02-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Ummm but Zevran is like, the world's hottest elf

If you aren't banging him then what even is the point of DA:O

Madame Adequate
02-17-2016, 07:53 PM

smurfed up if true

I'm aware, but I was also a two-hander. Couple that with the virtually mandatory tank of Aveline, that's three front-line warriors. I try to have two ranged, two close combat generally.

My next DA:II playthrough will probably be as a Mage (just so I can.... experience Carver). I'll probably use him more then.

Right, durr, I missed where you said that :p Three would be overkill, and Fenris can tank but only once he gets to the highest levels and yeah he's never going to be as good as Aveline, because she's the tankiest tank to ever tank.

If I look back at all the Origins companions, I'd say Zevran or Oghren were probably my least favourite.

Mods???/

Madame Adequate
02-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Course you could just go Fenris, Aveline, Warrior Champion, and Isabella, and go Full Melee.

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Mods? I don't quite understand.

Anyway, the sexiest elf of all time is so obviously Solas.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonage/images/2/2f/Solas.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/202?cb=20150405054215&format=webp

Look at that sexy egg.

Freya
02-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Or you can just not use Alistair because there are better characters.
You shh, Alistair is the best. :kaoclove:

Alistair as a tank
Wynne as a healer
Rogue Cousland for melee
and Lelianna as a Ranged usually sometimes morrigan.

Del Murder
02-17-2016, 08:05 PM
I kept Alistair as sword & shield and just focused on the more offensive abilities and stats. I used him occasionally and didn't slow me down too much. These games are pretty easy and pretty much any combination with at least one mage will work. Mages really dominate in DA.

Mr. Carnelian
02-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Me as a rogue (dual weapons, every time), because they're fun and SO overpowered in Origins.

Alistair, because he's a sweetie. :3: Also, tanking.

Morrigan, because epic sarcasm and magic (I generally also make her a spirit healer for the revival spell and group heal, so Wynne becomes redundant).

Shale because sass. Oh my god, the sass. If they don't bring her back into the series at some point... Looking at you, Bioware. :stare:

Formalhaut
02-17-2016, 08:18 PM
I kept Alistair as sword & shield and just focused on the more offensive abilities and stats. I used him occasionally and didn't slow me down too much. These games are pretty easy and pretty much any combination with at least one mage will work. Mages really dominate in DA.

They become more and more mandatory, to be honest. In DA: O, you could conceivably choose not to use a Mage during some segments of the game. By the time you get to DA: I, you practically require a Mage, at the very least for Barrier.

Pike
02-17-2016, 10:16 PM
all these people not liking Zevran smh

Freya
02-17-2016, 10:20 PM
I honestly didn't use him much cause by the point I got him, I already had leliana as my ranged rogue and I played a melee rogue so I didn't need ANOTHER rogue in my party.

Sorry not sorry. :gator:

Madame Adequate
02-17-2016, 11:19 PM
sorry but you should be sorry

FFNut
02-18-2016, 01:07 PM
I used my 2 handed DPS city elf. (Saddest origin story)
Wynn
Shale
Liliana

A full Female party my last playthrough swapping out Morrigan and Wynn when needed.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Warden (Dual Wielding Rogue)
Alistair (my boo)
Wynne
Morgaine

Pumpkin
02-18-2016, 04:53 PM
I literally just started last night so uh

Dog

Pumpkin
03-16-2016, 02:12 PM
I CAN ANSWER THIS PROPERLY NOW

Alistair
Wynne
Myself
Leliana

See because Morrigan hates everything I say and do and I am worried that if I bring her along, she'll end up hating me and leaving. My current party likes most things I say and do. Although I do miss the banter between my other party members and Morrigan.

And I like Dog a lot but I don't want him to get hurt :ohdear: