PDA

View Full Version : Mods, Hacks, Etc.

Forsaken Lover
02-25-2016, 02:12 AM
So I am not a member of PC Master Race because there are simply too many goddam complications with PC gaming.

But...I do love mods. The difficulty mod Final Fantasy VIII Requiem made me actually enjoy playing FFVIII because I finally had to understand and utilize the battle system.

I've also played FFVII New Threat, which was so much more than just a difficulty mod. It's really frickin' good and interesting, adding some new cutscenes and sidequeststo get everyone's Limits, not to mention a whole slew of new bosses. I thoroughly recommend it.

Also played FFIX Unleashed, a difficulty mod in the vain of FFVIII Requiem. It was okay, I guess. I also just found FFIX Alternate Fantasy, which not only changes up gameplay but adds in dialogue and stuff that was leftout of the final game. But seeing as I just played FFIX a few months ago, that can wait.

Branching out from FF, I hope to get at least a mediocre gaming PC next month or the month after that. I've been itching to try out Modded Skyrim or Fallout 3.

Ya know, I'm not sure what the difference between a mod and a hack is but I've played several Pokemon hacks. I like them because they help break up the inherently tedious nature of Pokemon.

Um...hm, what else. I might try Chrono Cross Time's Anguish one of these days. Cross wasn't a terribly easy game to start off with but later on it just kinda devolved into whack everything a lot until dead. Didn't even need Elements much, at least for attacking.

But yeah, those are my thoughts and experiences with them. How about you all?

EDIT:

Knew I was forgetting something. Knights of the Old Republic II's Restored Content Mod is MANDATORY.

Slothy
02-25-2016, 02:31 AM
So I am not a member of PC Master Race because there are simply too many goddam complications with PC gaming.

Oh God... what have you done...

Anyway, I play Bethesda games now and then so mods are mandatory. Though nothing will ever top the modding golden age that came with Half-Life back in the day for me. There were some truly incredible mods made for that game. Sadly many are either long dead or outright lost to the ages these days.

Mirage
02-25-2016, 06:30 AM
What's complicating your PC experience?

I mod bethesda games because that's the only way to make them good. I sometimes mod civilization games when i want to mix things up, and i sometimes use content restoration mods, and visual mods for games that are really old or look dumb.

Forsaken Lover
02-25-2016, 06:45 AM
If you have to mod a game to make it good, then it isn't actually good.

As for complications, just look at all the problems with running older games on modern PC's. That's a headache all on its own for some games.

Mirage
02-25-2016, 07:47 AM
No, the game is decent or mediocre. The mods make it good. Sort of like how a car can suck, but then modified to be all right.

Running old games on a new pc might be a headache, but I'll take that headache over not being able to play games at all, like for example how my PS2 games don't work very well on PS4.

People are free to keep their old PCs around to play older games on if they want. No one's forcing anyone to install the newest windows, or forcing them to throw away the old hardware. Many do though, because they'll deal with a bit of a headache to save some physical space. And also because the headache involved in most games is very very minor.

Which games did you have in mind?

Forsaken Lover
02-25-2016, 08:09 AM
I never could get the original Resident Evil to run right on my comp. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head but there are countless examples out there. I don't play many PC games so I've largely avoided this problem, it's just something you hear about.

And while I'm sure there are many ancient PC exclusive games some people might want to play, most of the games I care about are cross platform so I can play them on an emulator or just use the actual console itself, whatever it might be.

Mirage
02-25-2016, 08:25 AM
I usually fight more with emulators to get them working than I do with older PC games. Sure, SNES and GBA are simple enough, but that's ancient technology. Newer emulators often require a lot more fiddling.