PDA

View Full Version : Best PS2 RPGs

Pumpkin
02-25-2016, 04:29 AM
Same as the other two threads: What are the best RPG's on the PS2 in your opinion? Add why if you want to. No limit, and doesn't have to be exclusive to the PS2, it just has to be playable on the PS2.

Depression Moon
02-25-2016, 04:42 AM
Here are the ones I've played

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
Dragon Quest VIII
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
9 hours of Persona 3
A little bit of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

I haven't played much and still not finishing Persona 3 hurts, but I say that Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII are the best ones. The others I listed aren't bad, but I think these two are just so well polished that they exceed the others. I think I would have liked Persona 3 a lot too, but unfortunately my PS2 died and I never got another chance to finish it. Baldur's Gate I played was owned by someone else and I'm not exactly sure what happened there, but I never really got to play it like I should have.

Vyk
02-25-2016, 04:57 AM
Shadow Hearts
Persona 4
Final Fantasy XII

I didn't enjoy too many role playing games on the console sadly

Pheesh
02-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X

Laddy
02-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Disgaea
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Grandia II
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Okage: Shadow King
Persona 3
Persona 4
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts
Star Ocean 3
Suikoden III
Tales of the Abyss
Unlimited Saga
Xenosaga Episode I
X-Men Legends II

Fynn
02-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Disgaea
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Grandia II
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Okage: Shadow King
Persona 3
Persona 4
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts
Star Ocean 3
Suikoden III
Tales of the Abyss
Unlimited Saga
Xenosaga Episode I
X-Men Legends II

I see our tastes are very similar, Laddy ;) While I've not played a lot of those, I know BoF: DQ, DQ VIII, FFXII, Grandia II, the Kingdom Hearts games and the Personas are definitely fanstastic choices. Also throwing in Digital Devil Saga to the mix.

Galuf
02-25-2016, 12:19 PM
FF X
FFXII
Dark Cloud.

havent played much. hmm... was baten kaitos on the ps2? idk

Fynn
02-25-2016, 12:20 PM
It was on the Gamecube, I think

Forsaken Lover
02-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Both Baten Kaitos'es were Gamecube-exclusive, yes.

Pumpkin
02-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Let's see, for me:

Suikoden III/V
Tles of the Abyss
Dark Cloud 1/2
Final Fantasy X/X-2/XII
Xenosaga ep. I/III
.hack series

Depression Moon
02-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Oh damn, I forgot about the Kingdom Hearts games. Yeah Kingdom Hearts II needs to be acknowledged. It's a step down in some cases from the first, but it improves a lot on the combat. Haven't played those in a while either.

Wolf Kanno
02-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Let's see...

Final Fantasy XII
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
Persona 3: FES
Suikoden III and V
Xenosaga Episode 1 and 3

Honorable Mentions include: Suikoden IV, Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army, Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts 1, MMX: Command Missions, and Metal Saga

Del Murder
02-25-2016, 07:24 PM
I wish there were easier ways to emulate PS2 games in portable fashion because I missed a lot of these. I really only played the big ticket SE franchises during this period, but KH, DQVIII, and FFX were all very good.

Vyk
02-26-2016, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I missed a lot that generation as well. Fortunately, my girlfriend feels a lot like me and we are both committed to bolstering our old PS2 collection. And now the Shadow Hearts games, Suikoden 3 and 5, as well as Wild Arms 3 are in our collection. We even found a second PS2 so that we can both have the itch at the same time and I just play mine in the bedroom. And currently reusing it to finally appreciate FFXII since I didn't properly give it a chance originally and it's just been sitting on my shelf for almost a decade. She also introduced me to Tales of the Abyss, which is a worthwhile game. Far enough after the 3D switch to not feel as slow and clunky as Symphonia. But its been a while since I played the original Symphonia, and the PS3 one leaves a lot to be desired