PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 Challenge

Karifean
02-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Hey guys! Sorry for there being no challenges yesterday! I figured we could all have a bit of a cooldown in preparation for today!

ITEM
Golden Apple (per person)

TASK
Today there will be a public Thunderdome opening, for you to practice in over the weekend to level up your character! You have Fri-Sun to practice against opponents - the winner of each round will level up and gain an additional 20HP and 30 points to move around their stats however they'd like!

On Monday the very first ELIMINATION THUNDERDOME will happen, so it's crucial to start discussing now which member you are going to send it for that first fight! Each person who goes for a public Thunderdome will obtain a Golden Apple for their teams inventory only on the first battle they do!
ITEM
Hi-Potion x 2

TASK
At least one member from each team must start a legitimate discussion thread in the Final Fantasy V Forum (http://home.eyesonff.com/forumdisplay.php/6-Final-Fantasy-V)
ITEM
Highwind Key

TASK
Be the first to solve my riddle. Where it will appear and when... who knows. Only one team will win the stone!

GOOD LUCK

Well well, looks like things are getting serious.

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Hello, it's me.
I am the one who has it.
This is level one.

Jump to me old friend
Hunt with me again old friend
But this is a decoy too

She is my namesake
I am just a stranger
Behind a mask, behind screens
The Key to the Highwind lies with me.

That's the clue! Thoughts?

Karifean
02-26-2016, 05:59 PM
My first impressions...

...no clue.

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 06:01 PM
The Highwind indicates FFVII.

All the masks and charades, I don't know, Cait Sith?

EDIT: Also, the highwind has an image of Shera (Cid's wife) emblazoned on it. Could it have something to do with her?

Night Fury
02-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Pssssst......

Go back and check the prize for the riddle today ;)

Karifean
02-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Is it you yourself?

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 06:05 PM
OH OH OH

Is it Ultimecia? Either that or it is literally Night Fury.

Night Fury
02-26-2016, 06:07 PM
noooooope

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 06:09 PM
What? So it isn't Ultimecia, and it isn't Night Fury.

Karifean
02-26-2016, 06:20 PM
The second paragraph has me utterly stumped TBH. It'd have "fit in" if the third line simply implied to ignore the paragraph altogether, but that's a daring interpretation to make.

It's too bad, the third paragraph would've PERFECTLY fit in with an actual forum user (hiding behind the mask of a "character" and really being a stranger) but if it's not Night Fury I don't think it's anyone else, is it?

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Furthermore, it clearly specifies a gender, 'she'. This is why I was certain it was Night Fury or Ultimecia, but that was shot down. I feel like we're close, especially after Fury gave us a clue, but we're missing something...

Karifean
02-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Pssssst......

Go back and check the prize for the riddle today ;)

This hint makes me almost certain that this is a "meta" riddle of sorts. But if it's not Night Fury/Tara then *who would be the one holding the answer to this very riddle*?

Edit: I also noticed the task description still says "Only one team will win the stone!" but I'm inclined to believe that's an error...

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 06:32 PM
It isn't going to be something stupid and be ourselves, is it?

It can't be it, it specifies a gender.

Karifean
02-26-2016, 06:43 PM
At first I also thought it could be talking about Ultimecia and the sorceresses she possesses, but even then Ultimecia should be the answer and you did guess that...

I'm fresh out of ideas already.

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 06:53 PM
You and me both. Hopefully the others in our group can inject some freshness.

Karifean
02-26-2016, 07:05 PM
Meanwhile I took the time to make a Final Fantasy V topic: http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/166293-Favorite-Lategame-Setup-%28No-Freelancer-Mime%29

I'll keep thinking about the riddle, but I'm not confident I can come up with anything.

Edit: Might as well repost the riddle here so it's easy to find on the second page for anyone else using 15 posts per page.

Hello, it's me.
I am the one who has it.
This is level one.

Jump to me old friend
Hunt with me again old friend
But this is a decoy too

She is my namesake
I am just a stranger
Behind a mask, behind screens
The Key to the Highwind lies with me.

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 07:15 PM
You've already done fantastic work, Karifean. Don't feel too bad about it!

Galuf
02-26-2016, 07:15 PM
idk why im thinking of Rinoa right now. just Old friend reminds me of Angelo, and if it wasnt rinoa then the 3rd part, like you say suggests a user. and maybee is rinoa so... idk, just trying to help

Night Fury
02-26-2016, 07:50 PM
I feel like I was very obtuse with this riddle, I can confirm that it relates to a member of the forum :)

Karifean
02-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Hmm that's good to know.

I feel like the second paragraph is the only one that really hints at who it is. I can see any particular meaning in the first, the third is mostly hints at the fact that it *is* a forum member, and it also carries the important word "she". This doesn't mean the forum member is female, but it does imply that the avatar/persona is female? It could very well be referring to a hero/villain in this very tournament.

But the second paragraph still mystifies me. Maybe it'll make more sense once we have a clearer idea of who it could be. I actually quite like Galuf's idea with Rinoa <-- maybee since Jump to me and Hunt with me again both describe Rinoa/Angelo rather well.

Shauna
02-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Cid's Wife?

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Cid's Wife?

I did mention Shera, but it relates to a member of the forum regardless.

Okay, so we have:

- the member is female.
- the member is probably a well-known member.
- The Highwind indicates some reference to FFVII, or a hint towards an airship themed name/signature.

It doesn't narrow it down, to be honest. This is the hardest riddle yet.

Have the other team got it? I'd feel happier knowing I'm not just, really thick and the answer is staring at me right in the face.

Shaibana
02-26-2016, 09:12 PM
i hate ridles ;_; i never get them

Night Fury
02-26-2016, 09:21 PM
The highwind only relates to the prize, not the identity

Formalhaut
02-26-2016, 09:29 PM
That gives us even less to go on. So we have: a female EoFF member, probably well-known enough to be solved via riddle.

Galuf
02-26-2016, 11:36 PM
Freya?

Jump and hunt remind me of the ff9 freya. And freya is named after the ff9 freya?

Shauna
02-27-2016, 02:25 AM
I literally meant Cid's Wife the member, but if the highwind doesn't refer to the individual then disregard.

Get a list of Highwind winners. Freya could be a shout, but I dunno.

Formalhaut
02-27-2016, 02:28 AM
I literally meant Cid's Wife the member, but if the highwind doesn't refer to the individual then disregard.

Get a list of Highwind winners. Freya could be a shout, but I dunno.

I don't think they'd be that obscure. I don't think I've ever even heard of Cid's Wife being a member.

But your other suggestion is a good shout, though.

Galuf
02-27-2016, 09:00 AM
guys um... i.. i think it WAS freya, we might just have to wait though.

EDIT:

hello, its me
i am the one who has it. } thats the user saying its them, ofcourse you already knew that
this is level one.

Jump to me again, old Friend
Hunt with me again, old Friend
But this is a decoy too
} Jump, an action freya can perform. but HUNT, the first time you see freya is on the festival of the hunt. uh idk bout the very last part though.

you guys already solved the end

Galuf
02-27-2016, 03:54 PM
WOAH!!

guys can someone check my VM and copy the riddle???

i think that means it was freya thank you all:)

Karifean
02-27-2016, 04:06 PM
I have many names
Perhaps as many as I have Life
But you will know mostly two
I am a staple but perhaps overlooked
I am not too strong
You need no strategy
I can cripple you
But you will be warned
However in the Tenth
There is a chance of death
Luck be a lady tonight

You are already looking in the wrong place
Lady Luck I am not. I am no dress.
You have overlooked the obvious again

Karifean
02-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Is it the Magic Urn?

Edit: To elaborate, it's a series staple and you don't need a strategy for it, but it can cripple you. In Final Fantasy X it can kill you by self-destructing if you're unlucky. It's sometimes called Magic Pot or variants of it, so it has multiple names.

Galuf
02-27-2016, 04:18 PM
Awesome! im glad the team can do this

Formalhaut
02-27-2016, 04:30 PM
So was it Freya then? It was a fantastic guess. Presumably, the other team won the prize. I don't think they wouldn't have taken us that long.

Karifean
02-27-2016, 04:32 PM
I dunno, we'll just have to wait and see. Though I might as well ask, do you guys agree that Magic Urn is the most likely answer to this second riddle?

Formalhaut
02-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Your explanation makes sense, and is a very good shout for it.

Having said that, I led us up the garden path once with my 'Snow' suggestion last time, but that says more about me and my stupidity than anything else.

Galuf
02-27-2016, 04:36 PM
seeing your reasons id say yes. no doubt.

Karifean
02-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Having said that, I led us up the garden path once with my 'Snow' suggestion last time, but that says more about me and my stupidity than anything else.

Bullshit it does, it was a perfectly good theory based on the information we had at the time. ;)

Galuf
02-27-2016, 04:41 PM
yeah, even i came up with snow

Night Fury
02-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Tiz not magic urn but you're on the right track!

the other team haven't even discussed the 1st riddle

Formalhaut
02-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Pupu? That's another recurring monster in Final Fantasy.

Galuf
02-27-2016, 05:20 PM
Tiz not magic urn but you're on the right track!

the other team haven't even discussed the 1st riddle

Awesome. our skills have merged together to get the 1st part. lets try it again

Galuf
02-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Malboro maybe? it does cripple you xD idk

Karifean
02-27-2016, 05:24 PM
An interesting tidbit is the "but you will be warned". What kind of staple WARNS you (before it cripples you)?

Galuf
02-27-2016, 05:31 PM
could the tonberry walking be classed as a warning?

Karifean
02-27-2016, 07:56 PM
...anyone have any more ideas?

Galuf
02-27-2016, 08:15 PM
haha... im sorry :(

um... hmm... ill... ill try and think better

Galuf
02-27-2016, 09:06 PM
argh... this one is annoying. ok if i choose all the things i can.

hmm.. none of these will be right. but they may help.

Cactuar is a staple i guess...

phoenix gives life

uhhh thats all i got rn

Formalhaut
02-27-2016, 11:15 PM
I was going to say Moomba before I realised it only featured once.

Sorry, I've been out today, celebrating Hampshire Pride (LGBT), so I've been away from riddles. They are very tough, and only getting tougher. Sorry, Magic Urn was a fantastic response, and I can't really think of one better. I've not played all of the FFs, so I don't know all of the recurring tropes.

It is interesting and of note that 'Life' is capitalised, as is 'Tenth'. I feel that this is important, somehow. God if I know how though.

Shaibana
02-28-2016, 05:25 PM
the challenges used to come at a perfect timing in the afternoon..
now they come later and i dont always have time and then and i feel that i miss out on too much D:

Galuf
02-28-2016, 05:33 PM
its ok. NF and Pheesh paused the event um.. yeah. so i guess we have more time on this riddle

Shaibana
02-28-2016, 05:38 PM
its ok. NF and Pheesh paused the event um.. yeah. so i guess we have more time on this riddle

ooh i missed that.. is there a reason for that pause? :3

Galuf
02-28-2016, 05:54 PM

ooh i missed that.. is there a reason for that pause? :3

pheesh just told me in chat, i assume since he told me that i can tell you...

um because of Jinxs wedding and um uh.. Pheesh going back to Australia.

sorry if i shouldnt of said

Night Fury
03-09-2016, 11:22 AM
The answer to the riddle was Coeurl!
Let me explain

I have many names
Coerl, Torama, blackcat, Coeurl regina, coeurl cat, cuahls,

Perhaps as many as I have Life
A hint to it being of the feline variety - but you can also draw Life magic from it in FFVIII, as well as refining items from it into Life items.
But you will know mostly two
Coeurl and Torama are the two most popular names for it!

I am a staple but perhaps overlooked
Coeurl has been in pretty much all the games, but is often not as looked at as Malboros etc etc

I am not too strong
They are a mid level enemy usually

You need no strategy
Just kill em

I can cripple you
They use paralysing attacks a lot of the time! Torama also uses LV5 Death in VIII which if you're not prepared for, well, whelp.

But you will be warned
In VIII when low in HP the Torama becomes more aggressive and changes stance I believe
However in the Tenth
Final Fantasy X
There is a chance of death
There is a 25 - 50% chance Death Blast will kill
Luck be a lady tonight

You are already looking in the wrong place
Lady Luck I am not. I am no dress.
You have overlooked the obvious again

I've decided to award you the Airship Key, anyway! As the villains didn't come close, and I believe I made this one a bit too obtuse.

The Airship Key allows ONE TEAM MEMBER a visit inside the old Highwind, which is full to the brim with amazing goodies. The downside? They don't come for free, and time is against you! There will be challenges to complete on the Airship in order to obtain prizes for the team, but that person will only have 30 minutes to complete the challenges.

So, you must now pick the team mate who you think should visit the Highwind!

Formalhaut
03-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Holy-

Karifean
03-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Interesting~

Shauna
03-09-2016, 12:15 PM
That is a pretty good riddle.