PDA

View Full Version : Best Beginner RPG's

Pumpkin
02-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Like the FF thread but for RPG's in general. Your friend Klein Von Brochensterburgensty wants to try RPG's. Which should he start with? Which are most approachable?

Pheesh
02-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Final Fantasy X, Skyrim, Mass Effect. It really depends on where their interests lie. If he's a Star Wars fan I'd give him KotOR 1&2. Kingdom Hearts will always be my number one recommendation but having a general knowledge of Final Fantasy makes the cameos more interesting, but it's not essential to know who every FF character is.

Fynn
02-26-2016, 04:49 PM
I'd say Pokemon is good for beginners. Any of the Mario and Luigi games are also pretty accessible, with more focus on the actions you perform in battle instead of customization and planning. Chrono Trigger is also an amazing gateway drug.

Galuf
02-26-2016, 05:03 PM
well my first RPG was pokemon so id say that. but if klein von verylongname prefers WRPG then id say mass effect

Vyk
02-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Lunar. Simple but interesting plot. Lovable characters. Fairly unique fantasy world with pretty good lord. Simple intuitive combat which can even be put on auto pilot

Vermachtnis
02-26-2016, 08:34 PM
I'll also say Pokémon. It's a good teacher of elementals and junk. It doesn't always translate well to other games, but more often then not shooting a bird with lightning works.

Del Murder
02-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Pokemon is a pretty good choice, but we can't forget the legend that is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest!

Vyk
02-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Pokémon doesn't even have a plot :P

Pike
02-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Skyrim is super easy to get into. Then once he's got that down, we can introduce him to Morrowind :plotting: :mwahaha:

Galuf
02-27-2016, 10:37 AM
pokemon B/W actually has a plot (they all do but B/W Is probably the biggest)

ALSO! HOW DARE YOU SAY EXPLORERS OF T/D/S Doesnt have a story! i say, they sure have a better story than that game with the 3 girls who change clothes in battle.

(btw im not really angry)

Fynn
02-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Yeah, black and white actually have a really good story

Laddy
02-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Avoid anything made by Germans.

Forsaken Lover
02-27-2016, 07:59 PM
I dunno if Skyrim is a good choice. Like all the TES games I've played, it's very light on characterization. There's a world of difference between it and say, Fallout 3/New Vegas.

It all depends what you want, really. Do you like the power of choice? Do you like to roleplay?

Pike
02-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Ooh I thought of another good one: DIABLO 3 :hyper:

Do you like the power of choice? Do you like to roleplay?

Honestly TES is one of the best series ever for both of these, IMO

Forsaken Lover
02-27-2016, 11:46 PM
I don't see how. Your character doesn't really have a personality except one you imagine in your head. You can't have them say anything or express themselves except by killing stuff. Like, my Dragonborn helped the poor werewolf instead of killing him because fuck Hircine and I killed Maro because I loved my DB family and wanted to avenge them. But you can't really express this in the game exactly.

It's more like tabletop roleplaying than console roleplaying. All make-believe.

Pike
02-28-2016, 01:05 AM
I don't see how. Your character doesn't really have a personality except one you imagine in your head. You can't have them say anything or express themselves except by killing stuff. Like, my Dragonborn helped the poor werewolf instead of killing him because fuck Hircine and I killed Maro because I loved my DB family and wanted to avenge them. But you can't really express this in the game exactly.

It's more like tabletop roleplaying than console roleplaying. All make-believe.

Exactly, and that's why it's AWESOME! I love inventing characters and then doing things like writing about them, inventing their stories and backstories completely from scratch. It's my favorite type of roleplaying :love:

Vyk
02-28-2016, 03:11 AM
My girlfriend adores Bethesda games for the same reason. I try, and I get so far. I play certain characters certain ways for roleplay. Like none of my Bethesda game characters are masters of everything the way some people play. They all master certain routes depending on the personality and class I'm aiming for, but it only goes so far for me. But I still totally get it

And of course BioWare is our other favorite company where they give you agency, let you exclaim your intentions, and react accordingly. Less about mentally role playing and more about physically role playing and doesn't require as much imagination which limits the possibilities, but the bonus is you actually get to see the results and reactions

Our lives are pretty complete with both these companies ruling our game collection

Wolf Kanno
02-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Final Fantasy actually. Even the early entries are generally more user-friendly and noob friendly than other RPGs of the time. Even Dragon Quest can be a bit too grindy and bad about explaining where you need to go next compared to FF.

Chrono Trigger is probably the perfect intro game to the genre as well.

Carl the Llama
02-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Be brutal, get them to play Grinding Warrior Dragon Warrior.

All joking aside, I personally would suggest Breath of Fire III or IV, both are amazing games.

Rez09
02-29-2016, 05:43 PM
I generally lean towards Super Mario RPG, since Mario, Peach, and Bowser are recognizable characters, the game is fairly short and easy, the story is light hearted, and combat has slightly active quirks to it that keep it from being completely passive.

Pike
02-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Super Mario RPG is actually a GREAT choice! I can never say no to it, of course.

ShunNakamura
03-02-2016, 11:41 PM
I would like to put Trails in the Sky on the table. Fairly easy game, unless you ratchet up difficulty in the options, that focuses on story and characters. The combat is kinda meh, but still interesting enough that it rarely become a chore for me. That said there are TONS UPON TONS of misables in the Trails games. Folks change up what they say pretty much after every story related options. Seriously I found myself backtracking all the way back to the start of each region just to talk to folks even when they didn't give you anything. Heck in the first game even the chests have unique dialogue if you look into them again after opening them.

Add in beautiful music and you got yourself one nice RPG that isn't exactly hard(unless you set it to be hard in the settings, and even then it isn't too bad, just a bit less forgiving of mistakes. Seriously don't get sneak attacked on hard or higher. You will get wrecked).

Christmas
09-15-2022, 01:55 AM
Final Fantasy actually. Even the early entries are generally more user-friendly and noob friendly than other RPGs of the time. Even Dragon Quest can be a bit too grindy and bad about explaining where you need to go next compared to FF.

Chrono Trigger is probably the perfect intro game to the genre as well.

Yes, fully agreed. Dragon Quest got me to hate RPG back in those days wheras FF...:kaoclove: