PDA

View Full Version : Squall or Cloud?

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Which Final Fantasy protagonist do you prefer?

Karifean
03-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Squall, most definitely.

Galuf
03-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Me.

admit that squall looks cooler

Fynn
03-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Squall, easily

Crop
03-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Cloud - aside from the assassination section in visit in which I thought Squall was the only competent one there. Most of his clichéd sadtime lines had me rolling my eyes.

Vermachtnis
03-03-2016, 07:53 PM
I didn't much care for Squall. Cloud was a lot friendlier.

Omni-Odin
03-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Squall. I just thought there was a lot more character in him. When I replay 7 these days, I'm thinking Cloud is acting the way he does disingenuously because he's not himself? Haha when I hear myself say these things they sound ridiculous, but yea, 7 as a game, Squall as a lead.

Forsaken Lover
03-03-2016, 10:27 PM
LIFE IS EASIER IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP

NO ONE GONNA REFERTO ME IN THE PAST TENSE

FETCH ME MY EYELINER AND SPIKED BRACELET

Squall is every horrible stereotype about a teenager around. Brooding, selfish, obsessed with the idea life won't work out so why care. Then all of a sudden midway through they remembered "oh right, FFVIII is a love story. Let's hurry up and insert some love."

That scene in Galbadia Garden is legitimately one of the worst written scenes in all of FF history. Seriously, no one is gonna refer to me in the past tense? And then no one ever mentions it again. Taciturn, keeps all his thoughts in his head Squall just had a major freak out where he literally shouts at everyone and it results in absolutely nothing. This is just representative of FFVIII's level of writing.

Cloud by contrast is pretty much the best FF main protagonist. He has a far more intriguing backstory and was easier to relate to, as well. He was just a dopey kid who wanted to impress the girl he liked who he felt never noticed him. Tragically, his world is run by Evil Corp so his simple boyhood dream to become a hero and win her heart spiraled out of control and smurfed him up for years. But that scene in the Lifestream where Cloud reveals he was the one Shinra grunt and he removes his helmet and later overpowers the legendary warrior Sephiroth and throws him into the reactor? The music, writing, direction - all of it was absolutely perfect. Inspirational stuff. Cloud acted like a badass all game, Mr. SOLDIER 1st Class, but then we learn he wasn't tough enough to be one. But even still, he was strong enough, he had thewill enough,to beat the strongest SOLDIER ever.

Also he's a nice guy.

Wolf Kanno
03-04-2016, 12:48 AM

Kalevala
03-04-2016, 01:56 AM
Both are brooding prettyboys which is honestly something I'm so tired of in protagonists. That being said, Cloud's disposition seems more... justified somehow? It's honestly been ages since I've played either game.

Depression Moon
03-04-2016, 01:59 AM
I like Squall more.

Laddy
03-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Cloud can be snarky, even charismatic.

Squall is unlikable.

Midgar Mist
03-04-2016, 11:46 PM
They both have their good points.

Cloud: is so vulnerable and troubled I just wanna hug him. He shows amazing strength in the end, fighting against the Jenova cells within him to defeat Sephiroth and settle his past.

Squall: Handles that idiot Quistis like a pro. Is more the cool stong silent type. Also can't bear the thought of death (just like me). And to end on a good note...his snappy dress sense :-)

maybee
03-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Squall, he just feels more real and relatable.

AND HIS SMILE AT THE END OH GOSH

you just want to give the poor fellah a hug

:heart:

Shiva95
03-05-2016, 01:38 PM
I like them both, but they are not my favorite protagonists. But between the two of them, I think I prefer Cloud a little bit.

Forsaken Lover
03-05-2016, 08:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0YZBa.gif

This poll is going exactly as I have foreseen.

DarkBahamut
03-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Every real FF7 fan knows that Advent Children has ruined the image for Cloud.

In the original game, Cloud shows a perfect mix of feelings. He's a funny, awkward dude and has a little bit of charisma.

I like Squall, but sometimes his pessimism is ridiculous and he's too careless. He goes from a depressing fellow to a romantic. He definitely has really good scenes, but most of them are him being badass, not really showing emotion. I do love when he leads Garden though.

But I like a lot Cloud moments better. His speech after his return from Mideel, his emotional breakdown after Sephiroth kills Aeris. He really is a dude with a variety of good emotions.