PDA

View Full Version : Popular games and series you just don't get

Fynn
03-02-2016, 04:44 PM
This is not about popular games that are actually bad. This is a thread about all those games that are super popular but you just stand there and watch and don't get the hype.

For me it's definitely Ace Attorney. I mean, I don't think it's bad, it's pretty lighthearted and nice enough, but I never understood why it blew up the way it did as I just see nothing special about the series and a lot of its elements annoy me to death.

Forsaken Lover
03-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3. It's by no means bad...I actually like it a lot. But it got so tiresome years back hearing "god, 2 was an abortion, but 3 is the best thing ever.' Plus, so many think it is far and away the best MGS game and I just can't agree.

Wolf Kanno
03-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Obligatory mention of Valkyria Chronicles. I really want to enjoy this game but it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Vyk
03-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Disgaea. I love what the series represents, but good lord that grind... I have no idea how people manage to stomach hundreds of battles just over and over..

Pumpkin
03-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Lots of them. BlazBlue, Ace Attorney, Super Mario RPG, Street Fighter, Secret of Mana. Not bad games but I'm just like "eh"

Rez09
03-02-2016, 07:13 PM
I definitely second Disgaea. It's funny and all, but I just . . . can't get behind the series. :(

Wolf Kanno
03-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Disgaea. I love what the series represents, but good lord that grind... I have no idea how people manage to stomach hundreds of battles just over and over..

I definitely second Disgaea. It's funny and all, but I just . . . can't get behind the series. :(

I just got burned out by Disgaea. I really enjoyed the game but I can't bring myself to play the sequels despite enjoying the characters and humor.

I just realized that the Tales of franchise is another for me. Though I think the real issue is that I'm just very particular about Action-RPGs as I can easily get behind Mana and Kingdom Hearts but Star Ocean and Tales of just kind of bore me after awhile.

Pike
03-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Can't think of any, really. I love all video games.

Freya
03-02-2016, 07:52 PM
The weird simulations like Truck driving sim.

why?

Fynn
03-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Can't think of any, really. I love all video games.

Except FFXII :stare:

Mirage
03-02-2016, 08:03 PM

You can stop the game after the main story :p

I Took the Red Pill
03-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Dead Space is the first thing that comes to mind.

Vyk
03-03-2016, 03:54 AM

I put some time into the first one, and one of the things that did it in for me was the fact that everything required battle grinding. The kicker was for equipment. You had to enter that equipment and fight a battle. 10 battles, minimum I believe. To unlock an exit where your progress was kept for that item and it got a level up. If you want to level up your equipment, you then have to fight 10 battles for each piece of equipment. So if you want like level 2 equipment for your party, you then have to fight 100 non-essential battles. I'm sure I've forgotten some of the specifics, so this is likely not entirely true. But the issue itself still stands. You have to grind inside equipment, a lot. No thanks...

Madame Adequate
03-03-2016, 04:20 AM
Metal Gear Solid 3. It's by no means bad...I actually like it a lot. But it got so tiresome years back hearing "god, 2 was an abortion, but 3 is the best thing ever.' Plus, so many think it is far and away the best MGS game and I just can't agree.

Well yeah because Phantom Pain now exists, so not even a game as great as MGS3 is best in the series anymore.

2 was hilarious because Kojima just fucking trolled the entire fanbase who had waited years for an MGS sequel on a next-gen console, the demo was Full Snek, no sign that Raiden even existed, etc., and then lol you're playing him for 90% of the game.

It's okay though because RULES OF NATURE made Raiden goddamn awesome.

Anyway to the thread's topic I've never really got on with Zelda, Metroid, or Castlevania games. I can totally see why people like them and I don't dispute that Zelda, especially, has some entries that are truly timeless classics (OoT is fucking incredible, all personal opinions aside), but I can just never get into the damn things.

Madame Adequate
03-03-2016, 04:22 AM
The weird simulations like Truck driving sim.

why?

I want to stress I'm not trying to say you should enjoy them or anything, but for a lot of people they are really comfy, relaxing games which are relaxed enough that you don't really have to concentrate, but require just enough attention that your mind isn't going to easily wander and dwell on all the stupid bullshit in real life.

Plus they can just be inherently satisfying, same as making a Tetris.

Sephex
03-03-2016, 04:35 AM
Kingdom Hearts. Sorry guys, I just don't get it. I wanted to like it so bad. I didn't just play an hour and give up. I did play a large chunk of the first game and I just couldn't do it. The gameplay was just so janky and the camera was atrocious. Most rooms had these weird angles where it obviously was textured to look big, but I felt claustrophobic the whole time. The second game seemed a lot better, but now my problem is that there are at least six thousand side titles and ports. Even hardcore KH have difficultly explaining the story without busting out a flow chart or diving into a deep lecture. I like a deep story, but I think Square bit off more than they could chew and they drug their ass when it came to actually releasing a proper sequel.

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 04:39 AM
Kingdom Hearts. Sorry guys, I just don't get it. I wanted to like it so bad. I didn't just play an hour and give up. I did play a large chunk of the first game and I just couldn't do it. The gameplay was just so janky and the camera was atrocious. Most rooms had these weird angles where it obviously was textured to look big, but I felt claustrophobic the whole time. The second game seemed a lot better, but now my problem is that there are at least six thousand side titles and ports. Even hardcore KH have difficultly explaining the story without busting out a flow chart or diving into a deep lecture. I like a deep story, but I think Square bit off more than they could chew and they drug their ass when it came to actually releasing a proper sequel.

*Patiently waits for Fynn to enter*

Fynn
03-03-2016, 05:55 AM

*Patiently waits for Fynn to enter*

What? Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Sephex didn't like it - it happens.

It's another matter when fans choose to neglect non-numbered games, especially as they're now collected in one place, because there's no such thing as a KH spinoff and they should all be treated as main games, and the story is not more convoluted than anything that runs a continuous story for so long but I digress :monster:

krissy
03-03-2016, 05:56 AM
no he's right
i tried watching the story of kh on youtube and still don't get it

also

call of duty

i just dont care

Fynn
03-03-2016, 06:06 AM
Am I the only person who never had any problem getting any of it? :confused:

Laddy
03-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Dark Souls, Undertale, Mass Effect.

Fynn
03-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Devil Survivor is apparently the favorite of many a MegaTen fan.

Ooh, and I almost forgot about the Last Story. That game did not deserve the amount of hype it received.

Forsaken Lover
03-03-2016, 10:33 AM
It used to be hands down my favorite FF but over the years I've become very disenchanted with FFIX and the fanbase's blind adoration of it irks me.

Bubba
03-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Skyrim, Fallout 4 pretty much anything by Bethesda.

The gameplay just doesn't grip me at all :shrug:

blackmage_nuke
03-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Open world survival multiplayer games (sometimes with zombies) . I can enjoy them for maybe a few hours if I have friends to play with and Im discovering new mechanics but after the first base gets destroyed I just lose all interest. Not to mention all the time spent at night time holed up inside waiting for day. I keep buying them too, my friends egg me on to play and I think "this time it'll be different" and cave in then end up bored fairly quickly.

Mirage
03-03-2016, 12:55 PM

I put some time into the first one, and one of the things that did it in for me was the fact that everything required battle grinding. The kicker was for equipment. You had to enter that equipment and fight a battle. 10 battles, minimum I believe. To unlock an exit where your progress was kept for that item and it got a level up. If you want to level up your equipment, you then have to fight 10 battles for each piece of equipment. So if you want like level 2 equipment for your party, you then have to fight 100 non-essential battles. I'm sure I've forgotten some of the specifics, so this is likely not entirely true. But the issue itself still stands. You have to grind inside equipment, a lot. No thanks...

You don't need to start leveling up equipment until you're planning on take down the postgame bosses. Also, you can use a mr gency's exit to leave before 10 battles are up. Also, people don't actually fight those item battles, they just beeline to the exit without fighting, treating it more like a puzzle stage.

Like i said, you don't need to grind for the story part of the game.

Slothy
03-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Every Bioware game I've ever played. I'm not getting into the reasons why for the hundredth time.

And i loved the first Kingdom Hearts but the second was a complete piece of shit. It made no sense and was even worse in terms of gameplay. Gave up on the series then.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Obligatory mention of Valkyria Chronicles. I really want to enjoy this game but it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

My feelings aren't as strong as Wolf Canoe's, but I'd have to agree. I was all excited to play it, and it is fun, but it's not everything I thought it would be. I think it was talked up too much, and couldn't live up to what I was expecting.

Fynn
03-03-2016, 01:28 PM

My feelings aren't as strong as Wolf Canoe's, but I'd have to agree. I was all excited to play it, and it is fun, but it's not everything I thought it would be. I think it was talked up too much, and couldn't live up to what I was expecting.

That's a big problem with many things for me, really. It's one of the reasons I'm wary about trying Undertail. It's hailed like it's the Second Coming of Christ but at this point, I just know I'd be disappointed.

That reminds me of another one: Child of Light. Yeah, it was a cool throwback to older games, but I'm not a fan of the sidescroller style, and the story was very barebones. This was especially disappointing because so many people called the story specifically genius, but it was so, so basic. There really wasn't anything stand-out about it.

Still, Oengus is love.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-03rFTW5Me20/U7Fh6Qq2n8I/AAAAAAAABiQ/zsT3vUvrmEU/s1600/childolightsmall.jpg

maybee
03-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Animal Crossing, sorry it's just really adorable and all ? But it's basically go fishing, collect apples, sales -repeat over and over again. I don't compute what's so awesome about it ? Cute visuals and characters though.

Forsaken Lover
03-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Chrono Trigger was nothing more than a thoroughly average game with easy, simplistic gameplay and maybe one or two good characters in Frog and Magus. Oh and and a great soundtrack.

Cross' battle system was far more interesting.

Slothy
03-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Funny because Chrono Cross' battle system is the thing that made me give up on the game. Absolutely hated it.

Freya
03-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Skyrim, Fallout 4 pretty much anything by Bethesda.

The gameplay just doesn't grip me at all :shrug:
I'm going to second this. I think the worlds are awesome and the monsters and stuff are awesome but there's just not enough structured story and I get bored with it. It's just too open.

Loony BoB
03-03-2016, 03:41 PM
There are certain aspects of certain games I don't get. I can't think of many games that I don't get at all. I mean, I get that some games are hilariously absurd, some have incredible lore, some have addictive and/or enjoyable gameplay. Thankfully I can't think of a game which I've played which lacked in story, character, gameplay, addictiveness, fun etc. altogether. But then, I don't play many of the genres I don't tend to enjoy, so... maybe that has something to do with it.

Del Murder
03-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Persona and Fallout are two series I could not get into. I just wasn't very interested in building social links in P3 and the dungeon crawling was very repetitive. The cool aspect of crafting personas and the decent characters did not make up for those.

For Fallout, I just hate first person RPGs. And I like open world games but I don't think I like the fully-open style of Bethesda games.