PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre Monster - A reverse RPG Where you Play as a goblin fighting RPG heroes

rhophiehalul78
03-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Hello everyone!

First of all let me preface this by saying that I have asked and gained permission from the awesome and helpful EoFF staff to post this thread.
I am Rock, and I am currently developing an RPG heavily inspired by old school RPGs like the Final Fantasy series, Suikoden and Chrono Trigger among others.

We believe our core gameplay has promise and I would like to discuss more about the gameplay and story.

http://i.imgur.com/h6yZszC.jpg

The story is about Gob. He is a lowly tutorial monster that was recently promoted into a random monster because The Bestiary (the place where random monsters are outsourced) is in shortage of monster supply. Gob's dream is not that high. He wants to be a stronger monster but not that strong enough to be considered a boss. His journey starts at the tutorial forest and will try to explain several typical elements in an RPG (like monsters having loot and gold drops, how palette swap works, why every boss is just waiting at the end of the dungeon, etc.). We intend to pack the story with lots of funny and lighthearted moments.

Gameplay is split into two - the battle and town part.

Battle
Basically, Gob's primary role is to fight these heroes, give them an "exciting battle" and
pretend to die when the heroes execute their finishing moves.

During battle aside from trying to damage the heroes as much as you can, you will need to watch out and follow some RPG standards.
Some of these are:

acting more hurt during critical hits - via timed button presses
behaving correctly based on status effects and elemental weaknesses - akin to switching stances
attacking the tank whenever he taunts (even if one of the other heroes is 1 hit away from dying) - manually attack and select the hero who last taunted
giving (or not giving) items whenever a hero steals - typing the item's name during Steal
dropping loots and gold - typing the items you want to drop during the hero party's victory pose

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/369/608/805b29b4fcf7c67f3776581ccf1c3098_original.jpg?v=1455633129&w=680&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&

Also, each hero will have his/her own quests or likes and dislikes.
A hero may like getting potions as drops and facing ice elemental monsters but may dislike getting only gold as loot drops.
This will affect a hero's happiness and the overall happiness of the hero party.
Whenever a certain hero party becomes too unhappy, they will not renew their contract from The Bestiary so it's your job to always make sure they are happy.

Town
For the town part, Gob's primary goal is to make them attractive for more monsters and restore it to its former glory.
He can do this by improving or funding a number of buildings which in turn unlocks some features.
Players will see how your normal monsters live their daily lives in the town through the eyes of Gob.

This game is still in the early stages of its development and we would be grateful if you can support
us at Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opalsquad/mediocre-monster-the-life-of-an-rpg-monster
Please view our trailer song and I guarantee it will at least put a smile on your face. :)
The game will be launched on PC and Mac and will be later on ported to consoles depending on interest and our capabilities at that time.

That's all for now. Criticisms and comments are of course welcome.
I would also love to answer if anyone has questions.

Bonus: Here are the final fantasy 7 inspired hero party we have in the game.

and here is Ultros' long lost brother (just kidding. He's the town's resident monster bard)!
http://i.imgur.com/aOYvB8Y.gif

Mirage
03-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Will this game allow me to kill a character that bears an uncanny resemblance to Snow?

Galuf
03-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Will this game allow me to kill a character that bears an uncanny resemblance to Snow?

Or hope? or Edward??

sounds like a fun idea

theundeadhero
03-03-2016, 06:13 PM
This sounds fun. I'll look into it more later when I have a bit more time.

Psychotic
03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
I think it's a really clever idea for a game, I hope it does well.

rhophiehalul78
03-03-2016, 07:24 PM

Wahahahahaha! That made me chuckle. Unfortunately we are limited in hero slots (we have a breath of fire hero party spoof too) and Sqaure might come to get us if there are too many resemblance with their characters. Our kickstarter allows backers to create and design their own heroes to be implemented ingame (but it's at the higher tier rewards).

This sounds fun. I'll look into it more later when I have a bit more time.

Thanks! Spread the word to your other rpg gamer friends. :)

I think it's a really clever idea for a game, I hope it does well.

Thanks Psychotic. We are passionate about our game and we hope this game can contribute to the overall RPG scene.
It's fun having to pay homage to some of the best rpg games.

Psychotic
03-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Out of curiosity, what engine are you guys doing this in?

Freya
03-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Wow that looks so fun!

Midgar Mist
03-04-2016, 05:32 PM
This.........is a great idea!
Keep developing it for sure!

rhophiehalul78
03-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Out of curiosity, what engine are you guys doing this in?

Hi Psychotic, we are using the Gamemaker engine and will be planning to release it on PC and Mac.

escobert
03-16-2016, 06:26 AM
This sounds like it could be quite fun, especially if done comically.

I really like the things for your kickstarter supporters!

sharkythesharkdogg
03-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Kudos to you for trying something fun and different. I hope it goes well!

theundeadhero
03-22-2016, 06:06 AM
I finally got around to actually checking it out an you have my kickstarter support.

rhophiehalul78
03-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Thanks theundeadhero!
We actually just reached the funding goal!
We have posted a set of stretch goals and I hope we hit some. :)

Rostum
03-23-2016, 03:00 AM
Really cool concept, congratulations on meeting your funding goal and good luck with development! :)

Keep us updated.