PDA

View Full Version : Just grabbed the PSP port to this classic

FFNut
03-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Wow did they do a good job upgrading the look of the world. Haven't dug into it yet, but it looks great so far! Excited to see what they have done throughout it.

Mirage
03-05-2016, 03:29 PM
the PSP remakes of FF1 and FF2 are my favourites. Same with FF4.

FFNut
03-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Got IV for it plus the after years for free, but haven't turned it on yet.

Midgar Mist
05-15-2016, 04:01 PM
I would love to know more about the PSP port. At some point I'm thinking of picking up a PSP and getting the remake of this. Minor spoilers are okay, just no major ones :-)

Mirage
05-16-2016, 02:40 AM
FF1, 2 and FF4 hasn't really been changed at all when it comes to the story on PSP. The script is just better translated here and there. Other than that, it's just a graphical and aural upgrade, but it is a very substantial graphical upgrade, while still remaining 2d sprite games.

The gameplay of FF1 and 2 is pretty much identical to the FF Origins release on PS1

VeloZer0
05-16-2016, 02:39 PM
The gameplay of FF1 and 2 is pretty much identical to the FF Origins release on PS1
I don't know about FF2, but isn't the FF1 PSP version the same as FF Origins Easy Mode?

Fynn
05-16-2016, 02:44 PM
No, FFI and II PSP have identical gameplay to the GBA releases, meaning they are the easiest out there. I'm pretty sure FFII got further refined, which makes it actually better to play, since that stat system needed many improvements. But then again, the PSP version of FFII gives you only one blood sword, so it kinda evens out.

In any case, i like the PSP version. I would've preferred sprites more faithful to the original (they should have gotten Kazuko Shibuya on board, but they;re still better than the FFIV sprites), but I think the game overall looks really good with some great sound quality. Hope you have fun with it! This is actually the version I went with during my marathon.

Mirage
05-16-2016, 08:44 PM
You're right, I mixed things up. It's based in the GBA releases, not the PS1 releases.

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2016, 08:55 PM
There are quite a few changes. The PSP version is based off the GBA Dawn of Souls version with a few alterations. It was graphically enhanced, obtained the FMV sequences from the Origins version and a new Dungeon. Also bosses from other FF games gain the boss themes from those games.The music is lifted from Origins as well since the PSP can handle it.

The GBA version is a massive change from the Origins and Original version.
- The Difficulty level has been toned down to Origins Easy Mode and Original mode is not accessible anymore.
- Enemies have more HP to compensate for their weaker stats and A.I. Scripts.
- Classes have been modified so that Monk and Thief have better stats and Red Mage is powered down.
- The magic system was completely changed, using an MP pool (like modern RPGs) instead of the Magic Level system of D&D
- New items like Phoenix Down are added.
- Attacks will auto-redirect to a new target if the original target is killed. (this was a feature of Origins Easy Mode)

FFII is also based on Dawn of Souls with a few changes.