PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your old systems around?

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2016, 08:04 PM
While modern gaming makes playing retro games pretty easy, does anyone still play their old games on their old systems, or have you cleaned up the clutter and moved onto more modern systems that have the old games installed on them?

Rez09
03-05-2016, 08:08 PM
For quite a long time I was holding onto all of my old consoles, but a few years back I finally gave in to the fact emulation had pretty well replaced them and sold them off. It was sad parting in some ways, but ultimately it lead to a cleaner living room and less money spent on game collecting.

Blackmageboi
03-06-2016, 11:06 PM
When I moved back home after uni I lost a NES, SNES, n64, GameCube and ps2. It was a shame to lose them but they were only worth it for multiplayer games with friends.

I don't miss them anymore since any single player games I want to play I can run on emulators. It's much more convenient to game from my laptop/phone than it was to nurse old consoles and dodgy cartridges.

Colonel Angus
03-07-2016, 03:47 AM
The only one I don't have is my Atari 5200. The rest, except the PS2, are in my closet right now. The PS2 is in my living room acting as a DVD player.

Pumpkin
03-07-2016, 04:36 AM
I keep them around and use them sometimes

NorthernChaosGod
03-07-2016, 07:13 AM
I've keep all of my old consoles and games. I realize I can play them elsewhere, but trading them in at Gamestop gives you fuck all and they're nice to have.

Sephex
03-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I keep them. Sentimental value and when I feel like going full retro. Really need to get a CRTV one day.

Galuf
03-07-2016, 08:37 AM
yeah i got my Ps1 and n64. i used to have a Sega Megadrive (no objections!) but it was stolen... i do have a gameboy colour though

Pike
03-07-2016, 10:31 AM
I would if I actually had any. For some reason they all wound up in the hands of my siblings and not me. :(

Formalhaut
03-07-2016, 03:56 PM
I still have a PS2 and a Game Boy Advance. Imagine my surprise when I turned the handheld on and remembered that it didn't have any backlighting!

Fynn
03-07-2016, 03:57 PM
I do keep them in the sense that I don't throw them out or sell them, ever, but I usually pass down my old handhelds to my brother. The exception to that was my DS which I still have with me because my brother got his 3DS earlier than I did mine.

Depression Moon
03-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Yes, I love video games.

Midgar Mist
03-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Old systems are all I have so....there :-P

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-07-2016, 05:15 PM
I still have my GBC, PS2, DS. My bf friend is sad that I didn't give/sell my PS3 after getting a PS4, lol.

Fynn
03-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Well, that would've been a stupid-ass decision, considering the lack of backwards compatibility

Del Murder
03-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Just the other day I was going through some old junk and found my 1st gen Nintendo DS, that big clunky thing. I considered dumping it since I have a DS Lite but decided to keep it around.

In general I hold on to systems if I don't have another system that can play those games. I have a WiiU but kept the Wii since it can play GameCube games. Still have PS2, N64, etc.

I also keep them around because I have this dream of bringing my kids up on video games on generation at a time. You can emulate most of the 8 and 16 bit eras easily but not the more recent ones.

Mirage
03-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Don't really sell any game system unless I have several of them.

I might permanently lend them to family members, but I make it very clear that they're not theirs, and that they can't sell them or give them away to other people.

theundeadhero
03-10-2016, 08:48 PM
I still have them, from my 1987 NES to my PS4. I didn't keep my old gameboy systems from the original to advanced, but I have several SPs because people just felt like giving them to me. The only major system I used to have that I don't anymore would be my sega because there just wasn't enough fun games to keep it around.

CimminyCricket
03-10-2016, 10:09 PM
I have my GBA SP, GB Pocket, GB Color, Game Cube, PS2, my PS3 just died, my 360 is the Star Wars edition so it is mine forever, and I have my PSP still, too.

Darth Cid
03-10-2016, 10:39 PM
Yeah, still play them sometimes too, except my Sega Genesis, it no longer works.

BustaMo
03-17-2016, 09:21 PM
I wish I did...but I always traded in my older systems or sold them to get bigger and better. :/ Otherwise I'd have almost ever major console except the last 2 Playstations, and a Super Nintendo I never owned. Yeah, as a teenager, games added up in cost quickly, so to get the quick cash, EBgames or Gamestop was alwayys my source of trade-in salvation that helped me update my consoles and stick with the times.

DMKA
03-17-2016, 11:02 PM
My PS3 is still out and being used occasionally, but everything older than that has been shelved away in my closet.

I just emulate everything older than that anyway, even games I physically own. That's the only way to get them to look semi-decent on a modern tv. :p

Ayen
06-09-2016, 08:30 AM
I keep them. Only reason I boxed up the PSX was because the PS2 basically made it useless due to its backward compatibly to everything.

Elly
06-09-2016, 11:37 AM
i totally keep my systems, except i believe my dad still has my Atari2600 in storage, and my Sega Genesis Tower of Power i stupidly sold when the PSX came out, i don't regret the PSX just regret letting go of my Genesis ToP... i'll never sell another system again, selling the Tower of Power is that big of a regret for me...
my Playststions are all hooked up and running from the PSone to the PS4 in a nice little row under my TV... of my Nintendo systems i only have the Wii hooked up because it plays GCN games as well and the SNES is having issues, think i need a new A/V cable for it, the NES is boxed up... i still have all my handhelds across my headboard in front of their charging cables that i have coming out from behind the headboard for convenience and cable maintenance...
yeah, i can't bring myself to sell a console or game ever again...