PDA

View Full Version : IT'S INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY!

Fynn
03-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Today is International Women's Day! And since there are so many amazing women on this site, I wanted to say thank you to you all for being here and making EoFF awesome! :D

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PUVhYLuY-WE/VPv3F46-LlI/AAAAAAAAA8Q/3vr2c54h_Ec/w1200-h1200/happy-international-womens-day.png

Galuf
03-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Good job i kept that dress i wore in Don Corneos mansion:blush:

Formalhaut
03-08-2016, 12:53 PM
I'm very disappointed that my University isn't marking the occasion with anything, actually. Pretty poor showing, which is incredible knowing that about 70% of my university's student body is female.

But yes! Women are great, and undervalued still in most societies, even if that is improving. Women also make EoFF great, like Fynn said, so thanks for the EoFF staff's women for keeping the place together, and all the other members for filling up the forums with great posts. :D

Pumpkin
03-08-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't really need to be thanked for just being a woman, I'd rather be thanked for my accomplishments as a person but uh thank you because the intention is positive!

So yay for having a vagina!

Fynn
03-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Well, of course, that was the intention! Pumpkin, you do so much for the site!

Pumpkin
03-08-2016, 01:01 PM
:love:

Mirage
03-08-2016, 01:05 PM
hey girls, i'm glad you exist

asexual reproduction sounds like the most boring thing in the world

Shauna
03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Sucks to be you MALES haha

Night Fury
03-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Big up to the women out there who face the struggle every day!

To the women working 2 jobs to raise their children, to the women battling women's cancers, to the women pregnant and unable to get an abortion, to the young women being forced into marriages, to the women being sold into the illegal sex trafficking trade.

It's easy to say 'Happy International Women's Day!' and leave it at that, but if you really want to 'celebrate' it, listen to the women in your life, listen to their stories and understand their struggles, and try and put yourself in their shoes and get an understanding of the many things we face everyday! Not at all a criticism of this thread, I'm just saying!

My wish as a woman today, is that you all go and speak to a woman in your life and just listen to her, ask her about her struggles - but also her accomplishments and dreams and aspirations.

Thank you to all the strong women out their paving the way for the rest of us, but thanks as well to the women just treading that path!

Psychotic
03-08-2016, 01:11 PM
hey girls, i'm glad you exist

asexual reproduction sounds like the most boring thing in the worldCongrats to all the weiners.

Pumpkin
03-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Agreed with Night Fury. Also make an effort to acknowledge the women in your life on a more regular basis and seek to educate yourself and learn more about a lot of struggles women still face in many societies in the world. Do some volunteer work at a woman's shelter, join a big sister program to help a little girl who may not have a strong female role model have someone positive to look up to, and find some other things in your community you can do to help out. It doesn't need to be woman's day to tell your moms and sisters and wives and girlfriends and friends and whomever has an impact on your life that you appreciate them and what they do!

Night Fury
03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Oh oh oh and more just because!

To the women who feel like this day isn't for you - maybe because you feel like you aren't a woman who has accomplished or done much, let me tell you, you have! You have waded through the patriarchal bullshit this far - whether you knew it was there or not, you've made it this far being you, and that's amazing. Especially when we're constantly told we need to be a lady in the street, and a freak in the bed. Or that we have to have Jennifer Lawrence's legs, a Kardashian ass, big boobs and tiny hips. That we have to look natural, but shouldn't wear NO make up because heaven forbid! That we should dress demurely but we should at least show a little something otherwise we're oppressed. We should have long flowing hair, perfectly curled. That we should just get in the kitchen and make a sandwich! That we should just smile, what's the worst that could happen? You know, that we should just be EVERYTHING!

Through all that, you're still you, and you're awesome! You might not have come up with the cure for cancer, written a best selling novel, got a Grammy. You are you and that's the biggest accomplishment of all.

http://media.tumblr.com/b0cf1f0f68f09c4450dbccd365221ef6/tumblr_inline_mpbitzTSmD1qz4rgp.gif

Formalhaut
03-08-2016, 01:25 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/b0cf1f0f68f09c4450dbccd365221ef6/tumblr_inline_mpbitzTSmD1qz4rgp.gif

It's rather ironic bringing up a Supernatural GIF, seeing how the number of women who die in that programme is almost laughable.

Fynn
03-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Still has an enormous female fanbase!

Night Fury
03-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Well, it's true! Let's all take a moment to mourn the ladies of SPN. Mostly just Pam though, because we're all kind of Pam deep down.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwboorSznS1r3kkeco6_r1_250.gif

Formalhaut
03-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Well, it's true! Let's all take a moment to mourn the ladies of SPN. Mostly just Pam though, because we're all kind of Pam deep down.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwboorSznS1r3kkeco6_r1_250.gif

You're forgetting Ellen and Jo, hands down the most depressing episode I have ever witnessed. My God, I was traumatised.

Pumpkin
03-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Jane Addams :jess:

Fynn
03-08-2016, 03:21 PM
I just wanna say I've been on an SNL binge recently, and I think Kirsten Wiig and Kate McKinnon, along with many other amazing women there, are probably the funniest people on Earth. I find that level of comedic talent seriously inspirational.

Also, Ellen's great for being the philantropist that she is on top of being super funny.

Formalhaut
03-08-2016, 03:41 PM
I know this will sound like pandering, but I do find many of the women on EoFF to be pretty darn inspirational. You're all strong and driven, like Pumpkin getting amazing achievements in her education and setting up a support group, or Shorty starting up her comedy and doing well at it. Night Fury and her enthusiasm for writing and planning events, or Shauna's excellence in CKing. They're just the ones that spring to mind, but there are others.

Thinking outside EoFF, for all I do rib on Adele for her songs, she is inspirational, showing women that can be any body shape and look fabulous, and she shows a self-assurance in herself that is always inspiring to see. Emma Watson is also inspiring, seeing all the work she does for the U.N and to improve the lives of women. And Malala Yousafzai, for being a better person at her age than I ever​ was.

Shaibana
03-08-2016, 04:36 PM
perhaps not all the guys should be That happy about today :P

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-9/10612580_10154505675211840_8716911532694212132_n.jpg?oh=3b5b1d606864f7e796bd38b720cd1910&oe=5756B8D6

Freya
03-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Yeah I was going to say Malala Yousafzai. I was just reading up about her again recently. That girl is amazing.

Mirage
03-08-2016, 04:46 PM

why not?

Formalhaut
03-08-2016, 04:50 PM

why not?

Yeah, never say no to pegging Shai!

Del Murder
03-09-2016, 04:23 AM
They get a whole day?

Calliope
03-09-2016, 06:33 AM
No, only 70% of a day

Mirage
03-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Shouldn't go to bed so early then!

Calliope
03-09-2016, 06:03 PM
They can't help it, they're always so tired.

In seriousness, while it isn't perfect, I very much appreciated taking a minute to read this article (https://medium.com/@alithea/questions-to-ask-yourself-on-international-women-s-day-577b0803e4f9#.vl3ixycde) on International Women's Day, and I encourage you to also.

Over the last year, I have watched a small group of women here at eoff become increasingly vocal around issues of social justice, including examining both race and gender through a feminist lens. Perhaps more importantly, I have seen them support each other - which is not always easy to do, sometimes it feels like there is only much space in the world for women to succeed (or only one cute gamer girl can rule eoff at a time) so you better take that spot before someone else does. Overturning misogyny, including internalized and unconscious misogyny is no small feat; but we will continue to help create safe and uplifting spaces for ourselves and others. It is a continuous process, and it can be a challenging process. I see people doing this hard work, and I am proud of them. Happy International Women's Day.

Shiny
03-15-2016, 02:40 AM
My favorite women are the ones in my family. My grandmother and mother are both pretty strong, independent, fierce, ballin' women, who of course get on my nerves at every waking moment. I have respect for them and also undying hatred.

I think the thing that annoys me about strong women is that they have the tendency to put other women down or control them, especially other strong women and there's head butting. There's also a competitive thing. There needs to be more women looking out for other women.