PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite series of all time?

Fynn
03-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Now we're not talking individual entries here, as your favorite game of all time could possibly belong to a different series or just be standalone. So what is your favorite overall series? What franchise has been the most consistently good for you in your gaming life?

Pumpkin
03-08-2016, 07:42 PM
This one is a hard one. Two of my 3 favourite games EVER are FF games, and I love those games more than most others. Buuuut I think the Tales of series is a stronger series overall so

A tie between them, I guess.

Karifean
03-08-2016, 07:52 PM
This is really hard since the Key games aren't actually in a series, and When They Cry consists of only two entries :ohdear:

Screw it, When They Cry regardless. Higurashi is great and Umineko is my favorite thing ever. That counts as being consistently amazing. And hey I can count Ougon Musou Kyoku as a part of it, and it's easily my favorite fighting game. Not to mention Higurashi, Higurashi Kai, Umineko and Umineko Chiru are technically considered different entries anyways. :monster:

Edit: Well if I discount WTC it's definitely Final Fantasy.

Fynn
03-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Making this a hard choice was the whole point ;)

It's difficult for me as well. There's a lot of series I really like that become immediately disqualified. FF has some of my favorite games, but has overall become over saturated with shit in recent years. Silent Hills 1 through 4 were all excellent games, but what comes later? Yeesh. And then there's the Baldur's Gate games that I count as two halves of one game rather than a proper series. And I'm still not far enough into Dragon Quest for it to make the cut, but so far it has been consistently excellent.

So it boils down to two series: Kingdom Hearts and Shin Megami Tensei. There was one KH game that was meh to me, but overall I'm still hooked on the overarching story so much. Then there's SMT that has one really bad game, but other than that all that I've played is pretty excellent, AND it has Persona 3 and 4. So it's really hard to decide which of those two

Freya
03-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Warcraft :gator:

I've dedicated hours of my life to that series even before it was a MMO. So, Warcraft. (There's a new lore book coming out here on the 15th, i have it preordered!)

Galuf
03-08-2016, 09:33 PM
hmmm.... tough o tough.

i like FF, got a lot of fun from it.

i like literaly every pokemon game

i like Halo 1-4 everything between.

Not the most popular opinions but oh well.

hmm... really tough. im just gonna have to say pokemon thanks to Nostalgia

Pike
03-08-2016, 09:35 PM
The Elder Scrolls

EDIT: SimCity and Civilization give it a STRONG run for its money

Madame Adequate
03-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Suikoden, TES, Civ, Deus Ex, SimCity.

Midgar Mist
03-09-2016, 03:36 AM
The series we are initially here for: Final Fantasy :-D

escobert
03-09-2016, 05:12 AM
Zelda, TES, Sim City and Civ.

Vyk
03-09-2016, 05:35 AM
I'm actually surprised at how many series I can think of that could qualify. Mass Effect, Tales of, Saints Row, Uncharted, Dragon Age, Street Fighter, Burnout..

There's some that I want to say, but can't, due to crap entries, like the Shining Force series, Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog

For the most long-winded and consistent fun I've had in a series, I'd probably have to say Saints Row

Blackmageboi
03-09-2016, 06:58 PM
The Mass Effect trilogy. I loved the universe and the characters so much.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-09-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure. As much as I love RPGs is actually probably a fighter or a platformer.

I spent I don't even know how many hours playing Street Fighter and Tekken over the years. When I was a kid, the side-by-side competition with friends was so much fun.

Some of my most sublime gaming experiences were getting through particularly challenging levels in old platformers like Donkey Kong Country and Prince of Persia.

Wolf Kanno
03-10-2016, 04:31 AM
Mega Man X only had one dud for me (X7) and despite the story retcon making it go into an alternate timeline nonsense (don't ask) I pretty much like all of the other entries and the Command Missions RPG. Wish I could say the same about the rest of the MM franchise. :roll2

Breath of Fire is another good series as well seeing how the first game is my least favorite and I still enjoy it. :D

Suikoden is pretty solid as well even if Suikoden Tactics fell dramatically short of it's potential and the two reboot gaiden games which I never played and could potentially be good in their own right. ^^;

Shin Megami Tensei is a pretty great franchise for so far of all the games I've played. The Devil Survivor Series is not my cup of tea and I'm sure I'll stumble onto other titles that I dislike (the Persona fandom is starting to make my opinion turn a bit sour on the series though) but overall it's had a pretty impeccable track record for me. :cool:

Despite all my bitching, Metal Gear has been a pretty consistent series with only MGS4 seriously rubbing me the wrong way. I have some choice words for Peace Walker as well but it's still a fairly solid game overall despite my issues with it. :shifty:

If you simply go by the numbered entries of FF, then it's actually a pretty good series for me with only two games I disliked, two I'm indifferent to, and the rest I pretty much enjoyed. If we expand this to the franchise including sequels and spinoffs, then I can't count the series anymore I'm afraid, as there has been too much crap released in the last sixteen years for me to give the series a pass. :wcanoe:

Chrono series is still pretty solid with two main games and the non-canon Radical Dreamers. :plumcheer:

Fynn
03-10-2016, 05:53 AM
There's that one scene in Chrono Cross that confirms Radical Dreamers is canon, even if in another timeline ;)

Loony BoB
03-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Probably goes something like this... counting only series with 3+ games that I've played...

1. Final Fantasy
2. Uncharted
3. Mass Effect
4. Football Manager
5. Civilization
6. Far Cry
7. TimeSplitters
8. Warcraft (RTS series)
9. The Elder Scrolls
10. Pokémon

Crop
03-10-2016, 01:19 PM
It's a tough one for me, but it'd have to be the TimeSplitters trilogy. All three games have given (and still give) me so much enjoyment over the years.

Shaibana
03-10-2016, 04:41 PM
for me:
Pokemon. it doesnt really matter what generation, i love raising a team :3

Uncharted: im a person that really plays a game for the story. i cant enjoy a game without it and Uncharted is full of story. i love Nate's humour. tho i must admit that pretty much every game has the same plot. cool treasure -> hidden city -> bad guys get there first -> shit gets blown up

The Last of Us.. if there is 1 game that blew my mind then its this one. it was just 100% full of story and emotions.
the characters were written beautifully. tho its not a serie.. yet.. it will be :3 a new Last of Us has been comfirmed.

Tomb Raider. and im referring to the old ones. i do really see this through nostalgic glasses.
these were the first games i really got into.
the good ol'times where i would sit next to my dad while he was playing the games :D together we would solve riddles

Rez09
03-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Actually, yeah, I think I have to go with Pokemon as well, discounting spinoffs of course. I can't think of another series I consistently enjoy as much as Pokemon, or one I'm always so looking forward to a new release in.

Wolf Kanno
03-10-2016, 06:07 PM
There's that one scene in Chrono Cross that confirms Radical Dreamers is canon, even if in another timeline ;)

Hate to break it to you but Kato has pretty much said Radical Dreamers is non-canon and the Chrono Cross was pretty much a remake of it. He only threw the RD shout out into CC for the fans who did like it, but he pretty much considers the game to be an embarrassment.

Fynn
03-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Still, death of the author and whatnot. It even had an in-game explanation what with the many worlds theory being thrown in there, if I remember correctly, so if we go with a purely Wattsonian definition, Radical Dreamers exists within CC's multiverse, even if it's not canon to its universe ;)

Rocket Edge
03-10-2016, 06:43 PM
I love many, but Final Fantasy are my favourite games.

CimminyCricket
03-10-2016, 09:50 PM
It's a tie between two, they're both RPGs, but they also have different gameplay. Over the years I've stopped playing/watching the story because they're so bad - Star Ocean and Disgaea.