PDA

View Full Version : Batman v Superman

Bubba
03-13-2016, 06:04 PM
So... who is excited for this?

We're not far from the cinematic release. Are you mega-excited, cautiously hopeful or completely uninterested?

Slothy
03-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Cautiously hopeful. I like Man of Steel, but I've been a little concerned from the start about the sheer number of characters set to pop up. We'll see.

Midgar Mist
03-13-2016, 08:21 PM
I think its maybe taking the franchise too far. I think one film isn't big enough for the both of them.

Depression Moon
03-13-2016, 09:14 PM
My expectations are in line. That first trailer was good, the second bad, and the third one okay. I also still don't like the choice of Eiseb=nberg as Lex. That's the most WTF choice to me and none of those trailers have changed my mind on it.

charliepanayi
03-13-2016, 11:00 PM
It's directed by Zack Snyder, so it'll be an incomprehensible mess. And Amy Adams will be wasted like she was in Man of Steel.

Slothy
03-14-2016, 12:11 AM
Man of Steel was far from an incomprehensible mess (same with 300 actually). And Amy Adams is generally awful but Man of Steel managed to make me tolerate her so I'd say job well done there.

Bri
03-14-2016, 02:43 AM
It's a bird, it's a plane! It's Superman!!!!

Colonel Angus
03-14-2016, 03:32 AM
I'm excited, but I have to wait until my day off to see it, as I couldn't schedule any time off (thanks Easter).

I did get opening day off for Civil War, which I'm waaay more excited about. :omgomg:

charliepanayi
03-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Man of Steel was far from an incomprehensible mess (same with 300 actually). And Amy Adams is generally awful but Man of Steel managed to make me tolerate her so I'd say job well done there.

I'd like to know who you do consider a good actress if you think one of the best actresses in Hollywood is generally awful.

And Man of Steel was an object lesson in how not to direct action sequences.

Slothy
03-14-2016, 11:22 AM
one of the best actresses in Hollywood

That's amusing.

Bubba
03-14-2016, 12:57 PM
I thought Man of Steel was the worst Superman film since Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. I couldn't stand Henry Cavill and the level of collateral damage in the action sequences was ridiculous.

I have less of a problem with Ben Affleck as Batman than I do with Henry Cavill as Superman. I'll wait until this film comes on Sky before watching it.

Also, I agree that Amy Adams is very talented and versatile actress. She was great in The Fighter.

Slothy
03-14-2016, 02:33 PM
She was good in the Fighter, I'll grant her that. It's also the only performance I've seen her in i could stand. One performance does not a great actor make.

Del Murder
03-14-2016, 05:38 PM
I guess this will be a nice warm-up act for Civil War.

Bubba
03-14-2016, 05:53 PM
She was good in the Fighter, I'll grant her that. It's also the only performance I've seen her in i could stand. One performance does not a great actor make.

Her performances in Enchanted and The Muppets were (while certainly saccharine) very good and certainly showcase her versatility. I agree that she in no way should be classed yet as a great actress. She is definitely one of the more talented ones working in movies today.

Shaibana
03-15-2016, 07:47 PM
ive already seen the movie.. just by watching the trailer :l
it is seriously disapointing how much they spoiled just in 1 trailer.

but im half hyped about it.
I have never liked Batman or Superman. Christian Bale got me interested (not hyped) about Batman and im really disapointed that he isnt Batman now :(

perhaps very unpopulair but i just loved Man of Steel. Henry Cavill is hot-t-t-t :3 got a bit of a crush on him since The Tudors so i loved it when he got cast as Superman.
tho i agree with Bubba, the level of collateral damage was rediculous and perhaps alot more. but ive never liked the comic'ish superman movies (same goes for Batman)

.. so 'realism' got me interested in Batman and Superman :3

Pike
03-15-2016, 09:28 PM
I'll probably get around to watching it eventually. My expectations aren't particularly high so I can really only be pleasantly surprised.

I mean, if anything else, it'll be two hours of Supes and Bats duking it out and that's a popcorn flick worth the price of admission

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-16-2016, 03:14 AM
hoWNaGttxwA

My favorite line in this featurette is from Batman. He says to Superman, "You're not brave. Men are brave."

BustaMo
03-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Loved the Dark knight trilogy, so hoping this movie and any that follow it with the same cast can deliver on the greatness that Christian bale's films brought us. I'll probably go see it the next day it's out after I get off work. I know it'll be a packed house downtown trying to get in right away.

Vasher
03-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Just watched it. Don't want to ruin anything so

... I liked it, with some "but's"

Night Fury
03-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Sadfleck

Depression Moon
03-26-2016, 08:25 PM
I just got back from watching it.

I was going to write a long ass review, but I'm tired, so I'm just going to go over some points. I didn't like it. The movie as a whole had strange pacing issues. There are quite a few scenes that felt random. I was okay with Henry Cavill in Man of Still, but his acting is just bad here. It's most noticeable in that part where he stops batman in the batmobile. That shit was wooden as fuck. I was worried about Eisenberg from the jump and his performance here didn't appease me. He cannot play old calculation, smooth and suave as fuck Luthor. Gal Gadot was so so. Laurence Fishburne is too good for the film. Batman was okay. The fight we saw in the trailer seemed shakier in the movie and didn't have the same effect as it did in the trailer. That second trailer did show the end of the movie pretty much and that climax was just eh. Those Justice League hints were out of place as well as WW.

I basically agree with these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jgpihpnv3Q

Vasher
03-27-2016, 04:50 AM
I was going to write a long ass review, but I'm tired, so I'm just going to go over some points. I didn't like it. The movie as a whole had strange pacing issues. There are quite a few scenes that felt random. I was okay with Henry Cavill in Man of Still, but his acting is just bad here. It's most noticeable in that part where he stops batman in the batmobile. That trout was wooden as smurf. I was worried about Eisenberg from the jump and his performance here didn't appease me. He cannot play old calculation, smooth and suave as smurf Luthor. Gal Gadot was so so. Laurence Fishburne is too good for the film. Batman was okay. The fight we saw in the trailer seemed shakier in the movie and didn't have the same effect as it did in the trailer. That second trailer did show the end of the movie pretty much and that climax was just eh. Those Justice League hints were out of place as well as WW.

Pacing issues granted, one of my "but's", but the studio had to make due with the time allotted. Trying to tie together the web of comics that make up all the sub-plots included in this two hour flic is impossible, yet necessary (without a dozen plus films to substantiate). Stoic, or a confident Superman telling a mere human "time to pack up your toys, playtime is over". That is almost exactly how I would "put the smack down". Eisenberg didn't play Lex Luthor, that was his portrayal of Lex Jr., a very different character in the DC universe. I wasn't at all convinced by "WW", that was our "parties" main gripe. Laurence Fishburn>BvS. The climax was less climactic because there wasn't decades of comics leading up to it, just ~2 hours of what was expected. That, and just moments prior we're led to believe that the world heavily questions S's intentions. Then, minutes later, his death is supposed to "rock the Earth to it's core". The friends (JS members), if they even "knew him" yet, have but a few words with him. How devastating is that. If anything, Doomsday was rushed. Darkseid should have come first, plus several JS movies. I can't say I didn't like it, I'm too big a fan of SM and BM to be disappointed by this (not too big a fan to be disappointed by total bs). :cheers:

Depression Moon
03-27-2016, 05:54 AM
It has nothing to do with this not being a comic book with there being no build up to the fight, it was because there was rough editing that felt like there was pieces missing to properly set up the tension. They had plenty of time to do so. A good chunk of unnecessary scenes in this like all the dream sequences, WW, and the JL teases. Where did you get that Jessie is playing this Lex Jr. character and not Lex Luthor? All the promotional material, the IMBD page, and within the film itself said he's Lex and why would they create a jr character that pretty much plays the same role as Lex Luthor? I feel there was some studio interference. There was no reason for WW to be in this (was she just in town?) and the hints to Justice League were random. Like the Double Toasted peeps said, the trout didn't work in Avengers 2 and they did they went ahead and copied that trout here. I do have to say that Victor Stone just being a head and torso looked kind of freakish. It's a shame to me considering this is the first time these two been on screen together, for it to end up like this. I'd rather recommend someone to just watch a DC cartoon, preferably Young Justice since Netflix is considering a third season if YJ gets enough views.

Shaibana
03-27-2016, 05:17 PM
i thought the movie was alright :3 not bad, but not 'wow' either.. i enjoyed it.

got a couple of questions tho!

Wonderwomen isnt from krypton, is she?

who was the (i believe) 3rd superhuman on the tape? the that got created with the electricity?

not for 1 sec did i believe superman would stay dead

the pacing of the movie was indeed very weird, the movie just isnt big enough to show it in a nice way.
i would rather have seen it in 2 movies.

and i just really felt like Eisenberg tried to mimic The Dark Knight's Joker.
this movie could have been so much more if it had more time

Vasher
03-27-2016, 08:02 PM
It has nothing to do with this not being a comic book with there being no build up to the fight, it was because there was rough editing that felt like there was pieces missing to properly set up the tension. They had plenty of time to do so. A good chunk of unnecessary scenes in this like all the dream sequences, WW, and the JL teases. Where did you get that Jessie is playing this Lex Jr. character and not Lex Luthor? All the promotional material, the IMBD page, and within the film itself said he's Lex and why would they create a jr character that pretty much plays the same role as Lex Luthor? I feel there was some studio interference. There was no reason for WW to be in this (was she just in town?) and the hints to Justice League were random. Like the Double Toasted peeps said, the trout didn't work in Avengers 2 and they did they went ahead and copied that trout here. I do have to say that Victor Stone just being a head and torso looked kind of freakish. It's a shame to me considering this is the first time these two been on screen together, for it to end up like this. I'd rather recommend someone to just watch a DC cartoon, preferably Young Justice since Netflix is considering a third season if YJ gets enough views.

Lex Jr (Eisenberg) states in the movie that his father (Lex Sr) named the company after himself (LexCorp) and that Lex Jr (Eisenberg) was an "accident", born 10 years later. He is Lex Jr in the movie.

i thought the movie was alright :3 not bad, but not 'wow' either.. i enjoyed it.

got a couple of questions tho!

Wonderwomen isnt from krypton, is she?

who was the (i believe) 3rd superhuman on the tape? the that got created with the electricity?

not for 1 sec did i believe superman would stay dead

the pacing of the movie was indeed very weird, the movie just isnt big enough to show it in a nice way.
i would rather have seen it in 2 movies.

and i just really felt like Eisenberg tried to mimic The Dark Knight's Joker.
this movie could have been so much more if it had more time

WW, is not from Krypton. "Electricity guy" is Cyborg. I only recognized this because my son watches Teen Titans. In the comics, SM is "resurrected" after being mortally wounded in the fight with DD. Needed more films to establish characters/emotions. Joker, I felt exactly the same way after his "tic-toc" at the end. Could have been better, but it makes things worse if you constantly try and pic a flic apart. :cheers:

DMKA
04-01-2016, 02:18 AM
As a film in its own right, completely ignoring outside influence and source material, it was...okay. It wasn't boring, it entertained me, and the plot was mostly coherent.

That being said, I LOATHE THEM FOR WHAT THEY DID TO BATMAN! That was just unacceptable. I mean, I thought Ben Affleck being cast as Batman was the hardest pill to swallow, but he actually didn't do bad all things considered. It's the writers who deserve to be crucified. It's like they had no idea who Batman even is when they wrote this thing. They somehow managed to write a Batman as a complete asshole that's impossible to like, who's practically a villain for much of the film, and someone you want to see get fucked up.

Wonder Woman was pretty cool though.

DarkMatta
04-01-2016, 05:02 PM
As a film in its own right, completely ignoring outside influence and source material, it was...okay. It wasn't boring, it entertained me, and the plot was mostly coherent.

That being said, I LOATHE THEM FOR WHAT THEY DID TO BATMAN! That was just unacceptable. I mean, I thought Ben Affleck being cast as Batman was the hardest pill to swallow, but he actually didn't do bad all things considered. It's the writers who deserve to be crucified. It's like they had no idea who Batman even is when they wrote this thing. They somehow managed to write a Batman as a complete asshole that's impossible to like, who's practically a villain for much of the film, and someone you want to see get smurfed up.

Wonder Woman was pretty cool though.

This.

It was entertaining enough. It wasn't bad or particularly good. Just okay. I enjoyed Affleck as Batman. The one line he delivers was great and probably the only good memorable thing I took from it. Apart from that, a lot of didn't really make much point or sense.

It was too soon for Doomsday and the subsequent death of Superman. More needed to go into the franchise before reaching this moment. It would be like killing Superman in the second issue of the comic. Dead before a chance to develop a mythos. Even then, he returns, making his death meaningless and creates the problem of where do you from here? He's already faced his biggest foe.

What I liked in this film, which was sorely wasted was that I liked how they explored the religious connotations of who Superman is, what he represents, how he plays in into morality of our own humanity and how it adds more intrigue outside of own existence on earth. I feel they missed a trick in not perhaps delving into this more as a main theme in a stand-alone sequel following on from Man of Steel.

BvS should of never have been a film (Not yet anyways) and it was just an attempt to compete with Civil War, imo. Should of developed him in his own film or started with him in Suicide Squad.

Formalhaut
04-06-2016, 03:33 AM
Saw this the other day which I pretty much agree with: http://www.cracked.com/video_19952_how-batman-v-superman-failed-every-level.html

Even though, critically, it has been panned, commercially the movie's done very well, somehow.

Skyblade
04-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Saw this the other day which I pretty much agree with: http://www.cracked.com/video_19952_how-batman-v-superman-failed-every-level.html

Even though, critically, it has been panned, commercially the movie's done very well, somehow.

It did very well the first weekend.

It then had the seventh largest weekend to weekend drop of any major superhero movie, losing 68% of its audience in the U.S. It didn't do any better overseas. It lost 78% in China. 70% in Korea. 69% in the U.K.

This movie did great when people went out and saw it because it was Batman V. Superman. Those people then went back and told their friends and it crashed without even having any other blockbusters to compete with it.

Source. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/04/04/box-office-batman-v-superman-becomes-newest-member-of-100m-losers-club/#7cc4d55537d6)
Source. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/04/05/batman-v-superman-belly-flops-in-key-international-markets/#7ea4e21d6243)

charliepanayi
04-06-2016, 09:24 AM

Wouldn't be the first not very good film to make lots of money *coughTransformersfilmscough*. As mentioned though, the word of mouth has seemingly been mixed, and so the box office is already tailing off more than is average for a blockbusters. It will still make a mint of course, just maybe not quite as much as the studio would have hoped.

charliepanayi
04-13-2016, 09:33 AM
There will be a standalone Batman film in the future, directed by Ben Affleck.

Ayen
06-08-2016, 06:46 AM
Ah, this movie.

I didn't think it was as bad as everyone kept saying, but I wouldn't put it in my top ten superhero flicks. I thought they did a better job of showing the internal struggle of Superman in this movie than in Man of Steel, and Ben Affleck as Batman and Bruce Wayne was actually good. As well as Wonderwoman. In fact, hype for the Wonderwoman movie seems to be the only thing this movie succeeded at accomplishing.

As I expected Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor was god awful to the point they're now calling him Lex Junior. He basically felt like Heath Ledger's Joker while completely missing the point of why audiences liked Heath Ledger's Joker. And since when the hell did people shave your head in prisons? Yay, he's bald. He still acts nothing like Lex. I don't care about the hair. I care that he's Lex Luthor in name alone.

This movie basically makes the same mistakes as The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (and I say that as a fan of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but I can admit that film had problems), it puts WAY too much in its runtime (that was apparently cut and there's an uncut version of the film coming out on DVD), and should have focused solely on the conflict between Batman and Superman. Worst of all, they put the smurfing Death of Superman storyarc slapped on at the end just like they put Green Goblin murdering Gwen Stacy at the end of TASM2. Only one of the biggest Superman storylines ever, let's just slap it on at the end with no buildup. What? Why? I just -- WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP DOING THIS?!

The DCEU seems to be on panic mode because of this movie. Not only are they putting Affleck on the Justice League movie as another executive producer, but they're bringing in two new people to head the Cinematic Universe in the hopes to turn things around. One of them were involved in the DCTV shows IIRC. I forget who the other one was.