PDA

View Full Version : I might give this game another go

Midgar Mist
03-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Sometime, when I find myself in a good mood, I shall try this game again. Even if I stop short of the final dungeon like I did last time, I feel the need to immerse myself in this story as my memory of it is patchy. Does anyone else find the split party thing annoying?

Omni-Odin
03-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Sometime, when I find myself in a good mood, I shall try this game again. Even if I stop short of the final dungeon like I did last time, I feel the need to immerse myself in this story as my memory of it is patchy. Does anyone else find the split party thing annoying?

Most definitely. I always feel like i should go back and revisit (I have beaten it) but every time I do, I don't get very far. I'm also just not much a fan of 7+ playable characters.

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2016, 06:59 PM
The large cast is not really so bad, but I tend to appreciate games that make me use everyone instead of just sticking to favorites. VI is still near and dear to me, and while it has it's problems I still consider it to be one of the franchise's better entries. So good luck trying it out and I hope you see it to the end. :mogumogu:

Midgar Mist
03-14-2016, 08:58 PM
Not making any promises.....i shall see it through...up to a point. What I wanna do is remind myself of the story. Playing FFs once never really gets me immersed in it. Ive forgotten most of it, but....I want to contribute story based threads to this forum a little more.

maybee
03-14-2016, 09:07 PM

No, but I did find the large cast very annoying first time round playing, because it was like- who do train ? Who to ignore ? :shifty:

Midgar Mist
03-15-2016, 02:20 AM
The large cast is also annoying. I do believe Bubba and Kanno are going to bear the brunt of my rants when I get to the bits I hate. I apologize in advance dudes.

Colonel Angus
03-15-2016, 02:44 AM
If you want to know who to ignore: Umaro, because he's constantly in berserk mode. Gau, if you're a completionist, because getting all his Rage abilities can be tedious. Cyan, because for a samurai/knight, his attacks can be underwhelming. W/ so many good magic users (see next paragraph) Strago & Relm kind of get lost in the mix.

I suggest going w/ the Figaro Bros. early on. Edgar is very powerful w/ his tools & Sabin is a good damage dealer (also in the 2nd part of the game, he's one of the few available characters early on). Celes & Terra are both very well rounded, w/ swords & magics.

Midgar Mist
03-15-2016, 03:25 AM
I remember Gau, I find him annoying. Having to search for him in the Veldt, twice. And just the random stuff he comes out with when you battle him.

I vaguely remember liking Sabin, and I have a liking for Terra but so far thats mainly image based.

Bubba
03-15-2016, 10:52 AM
I think what CA described is pretty much what I did on my playthrough. In fact, I don't even remember coming across Umaru. I pretty much ignored Gau, Relm and Strago.

I need to play this again once I've finished FFII. I got right to the end of the World of Ruin and remember beating those eight dragons but never actually completed the game! I was moving house at the time of playing though and got distracted. This needs to be addressed as it's probably my second favourite entry in the franchise without even finishing it!

Fynn
03-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Don't listem to CA. You may not control Umaro, but even if you could, you'd just spam attack anyway. He is a beast with incredible damage output, and he will just keep on destroying the enemy. A mainstay in my party and seriously underrated for silly reasons.

Pumpkin
03-15-2016, 01:06 PM
I love large casts and I do like the cast of VI. Sadly I don't like the world or the pacing so I don't play the game too often

Fynn
03-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Don't mind me, I'm just spreading the Umaro love

http://img10.deviantart.net/8e67/i/2012/341/d/e/umaro_and_his_boss_by_xnaxox-d5nce0a.jpg

FFNut
03-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Umaro and Gau are both beasts when used correctly that should be main stays in your party. The other I would say late game is Setzer. And then have Edgar or Terry in the front. Honestly they make the game extremely easy in the world of ruin. Umaro really shines in the world of ruin in Kefka's tower of magic. Just be sure to be able to cast Life3 sit back and let him do his thing. Once Setzer can grab the fixed dice give him an offering and a genji glove and let him shine. Gau doesn't need every rage from the velt, but you can grab some powerful ones there that will make life easy with very little farming.

Colonel Angus
03-17-2016, 07:29 AM
@ Bubba: Umaro can be acquired by going back to Narshe w/ Mog. That's why you probably didn't cross paths w/ him.

Also, here's a faq on Rages via GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/554041-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/35118
10.3 & 10.4 are lists of the best rages.

Bubba
03-17-2016, 11:51 AM
@ Bubba: Umaro can be acquired by going back to Narshe w/ Mog. That's why you probably didn't cross paths w/ him.

Cheers CA. I'm probably gonna be hitting FFVI once I've finished FFII so I'll remember that.

FFNut
03-17-2016, 02:25 PM
I may replay VI now after reading this. Just finished replaying the original.

BustaMo
03-18-2016, 02:04 AM
I do love this game and it's been forever since I played all the way through it. I've only done that once and it was back in either 2005 or 2006. I've tried to restart since then but did not get very far before a busy life overtook my free-time and FFVI gaming became non-existent. I wish I had more time to give them all a replay, but FFVI would definitely be at the top of the list.

Midgar Mist
03-20-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm probably gonna be hitting FFVI once I've finished FFII so I'll remember that.

Ooo! Ooo! We could be FF6 buddies! (If I feel like playing it that is)

Bubba
03-22-2016, 02:45 PM
I'm probably gonna be hitting FFVI once I've finished FFII so I'll remember that.

Ooo! Ooo! We could be FF6 buddies! (If I feel like playing it that is)

Sounds like a plan! Currently still grinding horribly in FFII but I'm not far from the end.

Fynn
03-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Don't overgrind. Just remember to pick up the blood sword ;)

Bubba
03-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Just picked one up from that thief's stash in Fynn town!

So when I start my FFVI playthrough, do I go with my Gameboy Advance version or the one on my Vita I downloaded from the PS Store?

Fynn
03-22-2016, 03:48 PM
The GBA version is superior in all but color palette Abd sound quality, though they're both still good. The translation is different, and though I like it better, it's not objectively superior to the still solid SNES one. The biggest draw are the new espers and bonus dungeon, all of which is awesome

FFNut
03-24-2016, 06:53 PM
If you need any help with the game Midgar Mist let me know. I'm an expert at it to a point I can manipulate the action house to sell the Espers.

Midgar Mist
03-25-2016, 12:49 PM

So when I start my FFVI playthrough, do I go with my Gameboy Advance version or the one on my Vita I downloaded from the PS Store?

Well Im playing a trusty old PS1 copy like i did before. I will have to wait to see my family friend/distant cousin again as she's my RPG lending library. Hope we can sync up Bubba.

My my, not only will i have you and Kanno to help me, FF Nut has offered his services too : 3

Galuf
03-25-2016, 03:54 PM

Well Im playing a trusty old PS1 copy like i did before.

R.I.P. Midgar Mist. If only she knew she would die of old age on the loading screens :(:cry:

FFNut
03-26-2016, 03:55 AM
Ya the PS1 is slow. I'd suggest the ZNES with the FF III edition myself. Extreamly fast plus the fast forward button had me to the Lete River in 30 seconds I think.

Midgar Mist
03-26-2016, 01:58 PM
R.I.P. Midgar Mist. If only she knew she would die of old age on the loading screens :(:cry:

Awww...I will be okay sweetie :-)

Ya the PS1 is slow. I'd suggest the ZNES with the FF III edition myself. Extreamly fast plus the fast forward button had me to the Lete River in 30 seconds I think.

Then nip accross the atlantic and give me the money for the hardware/software upgrades I shall need for an emulator OR for a copy of the SNES original lol

Seriously....Im a big dunce when it comes to newer technology. There wont be enough time (or money) to catch me up on 10 years worth of tech knowledge if Im gonna start tmw. And....I wanna start tmw so I shall live with slowness.

Galuf
03-26-2016, 02:13 PM

Then nip accross the atlantic and give me the money for the hardware/software upgrades I shall need for an emulator OR for a copy of the SNES original lol

Seriously....Im a big dunce when it comes to newer technology. There wont be enough time (or money) to catch me up on 10 years worth of tech knowledge if Im gonna start tmw. And....I wanna start tmw so I shall live with slowness.

Alright then. Guess i gotta do it. You shall not suffer alone. i too... will .... play the PS1 version.

R.I.P. Galuf and Midgar

FFNut
03-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Ouch... Good news is as the game loads a random battle you have time to hit the chat up!

Galuf
03-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Ouch... Good news is as the game loads a random battle you have time to hit the chat up!

i hope you mean my home, IRC;)

Midgar Mist
03-27-2016, 04:01 AM

Alright then. Guess i gotta do it. You shall not suffer alone. i too... will .... play the PS1 version.

R.I.P. Galuf and Midgar

Dont suffer for me Galuf