PDA

View Full Version : Xena Remake: Excited, or not excited?

Mr. Carnelian
03-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Apparently, there's going to be a remake of Xena: Warrior Princess. ​

Interested? Apathetic? Discuss!

Fynn
03-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Well, my dad was a big fan of the show, so he might like it. Is Lucy Lawless returning?

Mr. Carnelian
03-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Well, my dad was a big fan of the show, so he might like it. Is Lucy Lawless returning?

No. They haven't announced who is going to be playing Xena yet.

Freya
03-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Excited! They are making the romance of Xena and Gabrielle actually a thing instead of just hinted at. I read that yesterday. (http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/xena-gabrielle-lovers)

Bubba
03-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Is Lucy Lawless returning?

Surely she will, probably only a cameo though.

Formalhaut
03-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Good that they're very open about the fact that Xena will be lesbian, as opposed to the 'they might be, who knows?' gaybaiting that Star Wars is doing.

Fynn
03-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Star Wars isn't gaybaiting. At least, the movie wasn't. I know that fans ship Poe and Finn a lot, and there's that thing Mark Hamill said, but there is nothing queerbaity about the movie on its own.

Formalhaut
03-15-2016, 03:24 PM
I wasn't really talking about the film, but the director, Mark Hamill, the actors poking at it... though, granted, the fans have shipped them and even drawn fan-art.

I'd be great for there to be a gay romance. I'd just rather tell us straight rather than use weasel words.

Depression Moon
03-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Excited! They are making the romance of Xena and Gabrielle actually a thing instead of just hinted at. I read that yesterday. (http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/xena-gabrielle-lovers)

I was like what at first because I clearly remember both of them having male lovers and then I remembered they also kissed twice on the show. I thought that seemed to come out of nowhere when it happened. This is the first time I'm hearing about this reboot.

SammieBabe
03-15-2016, 03:31 PM
I'm apprehensively excited. I loved Xena back in the day, but I know a lot of these reboots/remakes suck to high heaven.
I swear by the old gods and the new I will never forgive the people involved if they smurf this up.

charliepanayi
03-15-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm apprehensively excited. I loved Xena back in the day, but I know a lot of these reboots/remakes suck to high heaven.
I swear by the old gods and the new I will never forgive the people involved if they smurf this up.

Pretty sure this reboot involves the original co-creator (who is also Lucy Lawless' husband). Plus Xena wasn't much good to start with anyway, it was just pure 90s cheese.

There's been one quote from the new writer they hired alluding to the fact that Xena is gay, people should probably wait for something more concrete than that. It's no different to this 'gaybaiting' one person here is criticising Star Wars for doing.

SammieBabe
03-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Pretty sure this reboot involves the original co-creator (who is also Lucy Lawless' husband). Plus Xena wasn't much good to start with anyway, it was just pure 90s cheese.

Exactly. And who doesn't love cheese? :D

Mr. Carnelian
03-15-2016, 06:38 PM
I was like what at first because I clearly remember both of them having male lovers and then I remembered they also kissed twice on the show. I thought that seemed to come out of nowhere when it happened.

Xena is clearly bisexual, IMO. Gabrielle... maybe. I don't think her thingy with her male love interest really went anywhere. But she and Gabrielle were DEFINITELY lovers, no question.

Xena isn't cheese, it's smurfing GOLD. Easy to mix the two up, they're a similar colour. :p

Depression Moon
03-15-2016, 06:50 PM
If you forgot Gabrielle got married and despised Callisto for killing him. I think in the first season in one of the Hercules crossover episodes, she and Hercules' sidekick kissed in that cave.

Mr. Carnelian
03-15-2016, 06:52 PM
If you forgot Gabrielle got married and despised Callisto for killing him. I think in the first season in one of the Hercules crossover episodes, she and Hercules' sidekick kissed in that cave.

I actually did forget that. Shows you how much of an impact that had on me, I guess. They had ZERO chemistry.

Shaibana
03-15-2016, 07:40 PM
i hardly remember Xena, but i have watched it.
i think Xena is old enough for a remake :3..
i just hope it doesnt get as lame and unrealistic as shows like Arrow..
and i hope they dont go the every-police-related-tv-show way by making every episode a short story..
i really want 1 continuing story like GoT or TWD

Miriel
03-15-2016, 09:39 PM
I fucking LOVED Xena!! Even as a really young kid, I recognized that I was watching something unique in seeing such strong badass female characters. I was specifically drawn to these characters and I remember thinking how COOL it was that they were such fearsome warriors.

And I also loved how campy it was. The thing about remaking these 90s hits is that the campiness of the 90s doesn't seem to translate into today's world. It's just weird. So I'm assuming they're going to make Xena grittier and less campy. I would be interested in watching this if they happen to cast the right person in the lead role.

Madame Adequate
03-15-2016, 09:44 PM
lesbiaaannnnns

Fox
03-15-2016, 10:48 PM
I have...never watched Xena!

I feel like I would like it though. I like Lucy Lawless, I like campy fantasy stories with interesting women.... I can't say I'm particularly excited for a remake but I am excited to check out the original at some point! Hopefully it's on Netflix. But probably not; Netflix seems to have absolutely everything except whatever it is you're specifically looking for today.

Depression Moon
03-15-2016, 11:17 PM
Xena is on Netflix. I just watched it this morning.

Calliope
03-16-2016, 02:36 AM
The thought of a Xena remake is slightly disturbing to me, I knew people who worked on the show, and it was pretty much a staple TV show; I'm having a really hard time imagining new actors as those characters, even if a more progressive stance is a good thing.

PS - Can we make Joxer x Autolycus official, too, please?

theundeadhero
03-16-2016, 05:03 AM
I watched it on tv as a kid every chance I could. I liked it a lot. In the past year, I've also rewatched it on Netflix. The Xena x Gabrielle love is very obvious, more then I would call undertones, even though they don't just come out and say it.

As far as Star Wars, in one of the new official lore books one of the characters is clearly declared as gay. There's no "queerbaiting" about it.

Midgar Mist
03-16-2016, 06:37 AM
Apparently, there's going to be a remake of Xena: Warrior Princess. ​

Interested? Apathetic? Discuss!

That depends. If its on a free channel, then yes, I'm excited to watch a staple of my early teen years.

If its on a channel where I'd need to pay a subscription then I'm jealous of all you cable and satellite people in your satellite and cable heaven :-P

Depression Moon
03-16-2016, 03:42 PM
It's going to be on NBC, which worries me.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-16-2016, 04:28 PM
I think it will be/could be a double-edged sword.

Clearly everyone got the couple vibe between Xena and Gabrielle, and it's too bad they couldn't just have an open relationship in the original show. Now, it's very possible and I hope likely. So more progressive situations like that would be good.

However, I also think they'll replace cheesiness dialogue, budget special effects, and hammy acting with grittiness, darker tones, and too much seriousness. Xena was a strong, female lead but the series was also a lot of fun most of the time. You don't have to have a super serious show to have a likeable female lead that you can respect.

People remember the original Xena, and people remember the original two Robocop. I've seen the new Robocop movie, and I won't call it actively bad, but it is a completely generic, serious action movie. In a few more years, I don't think too many people will remember it nostalgically. The same thing could happen with the new Xena reboot if they don't do it right. :shrug:

Freya
03-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Oh I should actually post more in this thread: Starting last year i've slowly been trying to get in more shape because I want to cosplay as xena. I've been working through hercules and xena on netflix (since they cross over each other you have to watch booooth)

I have loved Lucy in everything she's been in since so it's safe to say I love Xena. I rocked at the PS1 game, back in the day.

I am excited for a reboot. Sometimes the cheesiness is endearing and other times it's eyeroll worthy. I just am really excited for more focus on that type of historical lore and history from that time. Greek Gods and monsters is always a fun thing!

DMKA
03-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Xena was so hilariously lame. It was perplexity terrible in every single way.

And that was ironically it's one positive. It was so bad it was hilarious. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers gave it a run for its money in writing, acting, and production value.

Which is why the reboot will probably suck because nobody makes campy shit anymore. Also, Xena always had those moments where everyone involved knew how terrible and cheesy everything going on was and had no problem letting their self-awareness show from time to time. From the whole lesbian announcement it sounds like they're going to take themselves seriously this time, and Xena taking itself seriously is like a salad with no dressing.

charliepanayi
03-17-2016, 11:14 PM
There hasn't been a lesbian announcement!

Freya
03-18-2016, 07:01 PM

There hasn't been a lesbian announcement!
Yah there's a link there of a quote by the show writer. Not OFFICIALLY saying lesbian but that they are going to show more than just undertones.

Mirage
03-19-2016, 02:02 AM

Exactly. And who doesn't love cheese? :D

cheese is pretty good but it always starts smelling weird when it makes its way into my tv

anyway i'm not excited because i never watched the original show. i like watching women kick ass though so i might check it out if it turns out well.

Forsaken Lover
03-19-2016, 02:09 AM
At least the God of War 3 people remembered Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. I always liked it more than Xena. I was too young to care about scantily clad women or the darker story of Xena, I just liked how funny and cool Herc was.

I want some Kevin Sorbo and Bruce Campbell in this. Sadly, Aeres actor, Kevin Smith, is no longer with us....
Also Callisto's actress, who's name escapes me. But she's been active in the Xena comunity and I'm sure would show up if they wanted.

Freya
03-19-2016, 08:20 PM
And then there was Young Hercules based off Kevin sorbos. It was Ryan Goslings first show thing. I had a crush on young Herc.

Midgar Mist
03-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Oh I should actually post more in this thread: Starting last year i've slowly been trying to get in more shape because I want to cosplay as xena.

That sounds so cool Freya :-)

Ayen
06-08-2016, 10:56 PM
This show is my childhood. I will show no quarter. If this thing flops I will dissect it like a frog in science class.

I'm gutted that Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor won't reprise their roles. I don't think forties are that old and they both still look great to me. The actresses they get to play these characters are going to have big shoes to fill.

Though no shoes will be greater to fill than Kevin Tod Smith's. May the gods have mercy on your soul, successor.

Mr. Carnelian
06-08-2016, 11:20 PM
May the gods have mercy on your soul, successor.

This sums up my own feelings perfectly. I'm willing to give them a shot, but if this remake is anything less than great I will hunt all those involved down.

Depression Moon
06-09-2016, 01:55 AM
I don't know about this.

charliepanayi
08-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Well, it's not happening now

http://www.avclub.com/article/nbcs-openly-gay-xena-reboot-dead-259739

Shaibana
08-22-2017, 11:30 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/956/638/5bc.gif

Shaymin
08-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Xena didnt need a remake anyway. The concept of the show isnt what made the show.

Actually Im having trouble thinking of a show that benefitted from a remake that's actually character based.

charliepanayi
08-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Battlestar Galactica?

Mr. Carnelian
08-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Battlestar Galactica?

Wouldn't say the original was character-based. The remake took an interesting concept which was let down by bad writing, poor characterisation and rubbish production and made something new and interesting.

Freya
08-22-2017, 02:20 PM
LAME.

They could have fed of the WW hype but no, let's make more cop shows.

Shaibana
08-22-2017, 02:58 PM
LAME.

They could have fed of the WW hype but no, let's make more cop shows.

uuugggh, please dont get me started on that, fucking cop shows

Formalhaut
08-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Ah damn. I'm watching Xena now with Mr. Carny and it is campy brilliance.