PDA

View Full Version : Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Vasher
03-17-2016, 07:43 PM
It's St. Patties Day! I'm part Irish (and proud). I'll be sportin' my favorite T-shirt later, the "ugly leprechaun". Anybody here got plans? Any of you got the "luck o' the Irish", or just as awesome by association?

Shauna
03-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Paddy's*

Colonel Angus
03-17-2016, 07:47 PM

Fynn
03-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Yay, it'a my name day! I'm so happy :D

Freya
03-17-2016, 07:53 PM
It's also my BF's Birthday! So yay for St. Patrick's day!

Old Manus
03-17-2016, 07:55 PM
I had Guinness cupcakes in work today.

Happy Americans claiming to be Irish day :colbert:

Psychotic
03-17-2016, 08:09 PM
I once flew over Ireland and I've seen every episode of Father Ted. That makes me what, three eighths Irish?

Pumpkin
03-17-2016, 08:14 PM
Happy almost my birthday!

SammieBabe
03-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Happy Excessive Drinking Day to all those who need one! :D

Kalevala
03-17-2016, 11:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7rjKYDCQAA0vje.jpg:large

Shauna
03-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Anyway I spent St Paddy's at work, and I will be going to bed soon because I also have work tomorrow so happy drinking day to you all!

Mr. Carnelian
03-17-2016, 11:15 PM
Formy's half Irish, but he doesn't really drink alcohol. St Patrick's Day is WASTED on him.

Formalhaut
03-17-2016, 11:39 PM
I was going to purchase green shoelaces, but my bank were playing screwy last week so I couldn't get around to it.

And St. Patrick's Day is a great day to remind me that I have a really unique ethnic heritage. I'm half Irish, quarter Indian and quarter Chinese.

I might still buy the green shoelaces regardless. I'm all about colour.

blackmage_nuke
03-17-2016, 11:59 PM
I have no irish heritige that I know of but hey any excuse to change my avatar.

BustaMo
03-18-2016, 01:51 AM
Celebrated a little in Savannah, Georgia last weekend, and tonight went out to a Mexican bar in Atlanta for a buncha beers and some good food to end the night since I got work tomorrow. Ready to call it a night early.

qwertysaur
03-18-2016, 04:50 AM
I enjoyed seeing all the green everywhere. :bigsmile:

Calliope
03-18-2016, 08:54 AM
I accidentally celebrated in that my roommate and I had three drinks today, and my wedding ring has green in it. I also baked cookies and ate green salad?

Bubba
03-18-2016, 09:39 AM
I went to the pub for lunch but didn't drink! It was a gorgeous day too so I took young James on a long walk, did a work-out, ate cooked some sweet chilli salmon steaks then had an early night.

WHAT IS MY LIFE?

Vasher
03-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Paddy's*

Phone shenanigans.

Went to Katsuya with the fam. Traditional Irish sushi dinner (no corned beef on the menu).

Shorty
03-18-2016, 05:53 PM
I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by eating spaghetti and not telling anyone how Irish I am or am not.

Aerith's Knight
03-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Such a silly holiday.

I'm Dutch, we don't need excuses to drink, we just do it. The trick is showing up to work the next day looking sober.

Vasher
03-19-2016, 08:35 PM
I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by eating spaghetti and not telling anyone how Irish I am or am not.

Nothing wrong with having pride in ones heritage. Also nothing wrong with refusing to express pride in a heritage that you may, or may not, have.

Such a silly holiday.

I'm Dutch, we don't need excuses to drink, we just do it. The trick is showing up to work the next day looking sober.

I think the Irish have that down, but it may just be that they always look drunk, as opposed to mastering the air of sobriety.

There's more to St. Patrick's Day than just drinking, you forgot about the cabbage.

Shorty
03-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Americans getting drunk on green-dyed garbage beer and telling everyone around them that they are 1/25th Irish while Flogging Molly plays in the background doesn't really sound like celebrating heritage to me.

Vasher
03-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Such a narrow view. Maybe one too many Irish car bombs back in the day?

Not that I need to explain my genealogy, but a couple great grand parents from Ireland. I have family there. Never drank green beer. Usually spend St. Patrick's with my parents and grand parents, eating corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes (kids haven't been feeling the best, don't want grandpa and grandma sick. They're in their 90's.)

Irish, German, Swedish/"Danish"/"Dutch", English, with surnames to match (immediate family). My last name is German. Fun fact, it's one of (if not "the") rarest surnames in the USA, a little over a dozen of us.

Even if someone is only "1/25", is there an issue with acknowledging or appreciating that? You're a fraction of "something", no pride in your own bloodline?

I also enjoy sauerkraut (queue: dump on Oktoberfest).

Shorty
03-20-2016, 12:36 AM
I'm not interested in having a debate about the manner in which someone should or should not express pride in their heritage. I explained my distaste for the way this holiday is "celebrated" in America engage and I'm entitled to feel that way.

Everyone tells everyone else about how their great great grandfather was from Ireland and how they're "allowed" to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because of it and it's just a stupid one-up circle jerk of lineage that I'm tired of hearing about. People here don't really celebrate the holiday. We use it as an excuse to drink. Just like we do with Cinco de Mayo.

Vasher
03-20-2016, 02:29 AM
If I'd said "let's all go get smashed at some sh it hole dive while Shorty rips on what a stupid heaping pile of drunken Irish posers we are", then I might understand your disdain, but even then, "why judge"?

We're in a melting pot (one built by the Irish), good chance that everyone does have a great great grandpappy from Ireland.

I don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I'm not Mexican, neither is my wife. What does it matter that some non-Mexicans do?

To me, it doesn't matter who chooses to celebrate, or how they choose to celebrate. All that matters is acknowledgement and awareness. Without such "grand spectacles" the day and what it stands for might vanish into obscurity. At least there is some knowledge and history spread. Does it matter what generation a person is when celebrating the 4'th of July? Would it matter, either way, if that person chose to have a drink during their holiday? Is someone "more American" if their lineage dates back to the colonials vs 1'st gen? What about immigrants that love this country, but just finished the last word of the Naturalisation Oath? Maybe they're having a beer on the 4'th to celebrate, but it might also be the first time they felt safe to do so. What about those still looking to attain citizenship?

Let 'em be Irish for a day, not everyone gets to be lucky all year.

Anyway, I say "Happy...", and you pee'd in my Cheerios (which are nasty to begin with).

:cheers: No harm, no foul?