PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "schedule"?

Fynn
03-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Bring it on

Galuf
03-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Allright KIDS its s-KED TIME. dont hide in your SHED.

:shrug:

Bubba
03-25-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm British and I think SHEDule is dumb.

Night Fury
03-25-2016, 05:07 PM
skedskedsked

Karifean
03-25-2016, 05:19 PM
sked-joul

Psychotic
03-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Looks like I'm shhhheduled for crumpets and scones with the Duchess of Upper Middleshire. Pip pip.

Shauna
03-25-2016, 05:43 PM
I use them both interchangably, I think. Both of them feel natural.

Sephiroth
03-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Skedyool

Bri
03-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Ski-jewel :D

SammieBabe
03-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Sked, definitely. If it was good enough for Eisenhower (https://books.google.com/books?id=Cfyew_DQ4h4C&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=eisenhower+pronouncing+schedule&source=bl&ots=ZubXm0GLHk&sig=ON5UljhqhDpRPLDYEyVD0ttXzME&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2t-P2utzLAhWL1B4KHSxXBlsQ6AEILjAE#v=onepage&q=eisenhower%20pronouncing%20schedule&f=false), it's good enough for me.

Aulayna
03-25-2016, 07:58 PM
What uncouth ruffians pronounce it as SHED-ULE, did they go to SH-OOL?

Fox
03-26-2016, 01:46 AM
"Timetable"

It's the only way to avoid both​ angry mobs

FFNut
03-26-2016, 03:59 AM
I use the Sked method but don't mind if people use the shed.

blackmage_nuke
03-26-2016, 04:17 AM
I say both but I usually only use shedule as a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing like how I'll say skissors instead of scissors.

Psychotic
03-26-2016, 10:50 AM
What uncouth ruffians pronounce it as SHED-ULE, did they go to SH-OOL?If we're playing that game, do you want to be with Oskar Schindler or Philip Schofield?

Zanmato
03-26-2016, 12:55 PM
My teachers always said "s-KED-ule", so I'm using this form.
After all, we also pronounce the words like "school" and "character" in this way.
Besides, "SHED-ule" sounds dumb as smurf to me. :lol:
I still have a lot to learn... :ohdear:

Aulayna
03-26-2016, 03:14 PM
What uncouth ruffians pronounce it as SHED-ULE, did they go to SH-OOL?If we're playing that game, do you want to be with Oskar Schindler or Philip Schofield?

Not really, they're both a bit too old for me.

Also Schofield is pronounced Sko-field. Just sayin' (I worked with the guy during my brief stint as a runner on This Morning)

Psychotic
03-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Yeah, that was the point! Do you want to be like the saviour of thousands of people or do you want to be like a slightly sinister breakfast TV host?

Omni-Odin
03-26-2016, 05:20 PM
This is kinda like "z" or "zed". Just depends on where you're from.

Aulayna
03-26-2016, 06:15 PM
Yeah, that was the point! Do you want to be like the saviour of thousands of people or do you want to be like a slightly sinister breakfast TV host?

People are the worst, so I'll go with the latter.

Pheesh
03-26-2016, 06:33 PM
I use them both interchangably, I think. Both of them feel natural.

This ^

Mr. Carnelian
03-27-2016, 12:49 AM
'Sch' as 'sh' makes more sense to me. 'Sch' isn't used in English much, that I can think of, other than in 'school'. I'm used to hearing 'sch' pronounced as 'sh' in German (my stepmother is German and her, my Dad and younger sister live in Switzerland), which seems to use 'sch' more often than English. 'SHED-ule' sounds a lot better to me than 'SKED-ule'.

Kalevala
03-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Garage-Christmas

Vasher
03-27-2016, 11:28 AM
'Sch' as 'sh' makes more sense to me. 'Sch' isn't used in English much, that I can think of, other than in 'school'. 'SHED-ule' sounds a lot better to me than 'SKED-ule'.

You've pointed out "shool", but here's a few others...

shizophrenia
shismatic
shematic

... and probably the most pertinent (under the circumstance)...

sholar.

The "c" is present and with purpose, it's "skedule". (But what do I know about the English language, I'm just a 'Merican :D )

Some of my favorites are "beau-loge-nuh" and "cham-pag-nee".

Zanmato
03-27-2016, 12:40 PM
'Sch' as 'sh' makes more sense to me. 'Sch' isn't used in English much, that I can think of, other than in 'school'. 'SHED-ule' sounds a lot better to me than 'SKED-ule'.

You've pointed out "shool", but here's a few others...

shizophrenia
shismatic
shematic

... and probably the most pertinent (under the circumstance)...

sholar.

The "c" is present and with purpose, it's "skedule". (But what do I know about the English language, I'm just a 'Merican :D )

Some of my favorites are "beau-loge-nuh" and "cham-pag-nee".
Good point! :hattip:
English is sometimes tricky. :confused:

Shiny
03-29-2016, 02:27 AM
British people are right about their pronunciation for herb but they're not right about their pronunciation of schedule or capsule.

Formalhaut
03-29-2016, 03:00 AM
People say capsule differently?!

Bubba
03-29-2016, 12:51 PM
British people are right about their pronunciation for herb but they're not right about their pronunciation of schedule or capsule.

People say capsule differently?!

Yeah, what up wit dat?

I say cap-shule.

Shauna
03-29-2016, 01:00 PM
British people are right about their pronunciation for herb

Hard H, amirite!

Mr. Carnelian
03-29-2016, 01:22 PM

Hard H, amirite!

There's no single "correct" way to pronounce words, really. The different standard pronunciations in all varieties of English are all equally valid.

Shauna
03-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Well yes, obviously.

But that's no fun, especially in a thread about pronunciation.

Mr. Carnelian
03-29-2016, 01:42 PM
Well yes, obviously.

But that's no fun, especially in a thread about pronunciation.

Sorry, my bad. :p

Psychotic
03-29-2016, 02:12 PM

Hard H, amirite!

There's no single "correct" way to pronounce words, really. The different standard pronunciations in all varieties of English are all equally valid.
What I pronounce "Mr." as "eater of" and "Carnelian" as "the flesh of babies and also poo poo"? It's a Midlands thing.

Mr. Carnelian
03-29-2016, 02:39 PM

Hard H, amirite!

What I pronounce "Mr." as "eater of" and "Carnelian" as "the flesh of babies and also poo poo"? It's a Midlands thing.

I also eat kittens and puppies.

Sephex
03-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Aluminum.

Vasher
03-30-2016, 10:19 AM
The most common way that I've heard "schedule" pronounced is "I don't have time for that shit". Number two would be "Schedule, my ass". It's like slang, or something.

Mr. Carnelian
03-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Aluminum.

Obviously, you're missing an "i" there, just after the "n". Whether or not one chooses to pronounce it is dependent upon which variety of English you're speaking, as leaving the second "i" silent is standard in American English and some other varieties, but I will not waver when it comes to spelling. With spelling, there is a right way and there are wrong ways.

Fynn
03-30-2016, 10:43 AM
There's a consonant intersected between two vowels. It's a hard U!

and uh

there is no g

Well, I used the most simple transcription I could, because due to phonotactical processes a d combined with a yu usually becumes a dg anyway. I can change that poll to an IPA transcription, but somehow I doubt people would get the picture then :colbert:

Peter1986
05-01-2016, 12:14 AM
When I was in school between 1993-2005 my English teachers would insist on teaching British English (probably because Sweden is much closer to Great Britain than the United States :p), so I was originally taught "shed-ule".
However, for some reason I tend to say "s-ked-ule" nowadays, possibly because I am constantly immersed in American English on the Internet etc. :p

I do normally speak and write in British, though.
I don't actually speak in a British accent or anything though, I just use British vocabulary.

Vasher
05-01-2016, 01:00 AM
Aluminum.

Obviously, you're missing an "i" there, just after the "n". Whether or not one chooses to pronounce it is dependent upon which variety of English you're speaking, as leaving the second "i" silent is standard in American English and some other varieties, but I will not waver when it comes to spelling. With spelling, there is a right way and there are wrong ways.

The first printed reference to "Aluminum" is in Sir Humphrey Davy's "Elements of Chemical Philosophy" (1812) which describes his experiments with "Aluminum". It was later changed by the Brits to conform with other elements that end with "ium". It was originally spelled "Aluminum", coined by Davy using Latin "alumen" and "alum". So, the original spelling is "Aluminum".

Mr. Carnelian
05-01-2016, 01:18 AM
Aluminum.

The first printed reference to "Aluminum" is in Sir Humphrey Davy's "Elements of Chemical Philosophy" (1812) which describes his experiments with "Aluminum". It was later changed by the Brits to conform with other elements that end with "ium". It was originally spelled "Aluminum", coined by Davy using Latin "alumen" and "alum". So, the original spelling is "Aluminum".

Au contraire! The Oxford English Dictionary is very clear that there is a printed reference to "aluminium" in 1811, as reproduced below. However, it is worth noting that this refers to aluminium as a theoretical substance.

~1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

Vasher
05-01-2016, 01:58 AM
Aluminum.

Au contraire! The Oxford English Dictionary is very clear that there is a printed reference to "aluminium" in 1811, as reproduced below. However, it is worth noting that this refers to aluminium as a theoretical substance.

~1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

You "cherry picked" from a Reddit post;

"And yet, the Oxford English Dictionary itself lists the first use from 1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

The same dictionary entry bears the note Quot. 1811 at sense A. 1 is a review of a lecture by H. Davy delivered in 1809 and published in 1810 ( Philos. Trans. (Royal Soc.) 100 16–74). The published paper, on which the review appears to be based, does not name the new substance created by the experiments described; the ingredient alumina is referred to in the form alumine (see alumine n.)."

It's "Aluminum". :p

Loony BoB
05-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Aluminium, sked-yule (but to you guys, with my accent, it probably comes across as sked-yill or sked-yull), caps-yule (similar thing goin' on), herb (hard H).

Mr. Carnelian
05-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Aluminum.

You "cherry picked" from a Reddit post;

"And yet, the Oxford English Dictionary itself lists the first use from 1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

The same dictionary entry bears the note Quot. 1811 at sense A. 1 is a review of a lecture by H. Davy delivered in 1809 and published in 1810 ( Philos. Trans. (Royal Soc.) 100 16–74). The published paper, on which the review appears to be based, does not name the new substance created by the experiments described; the ingredient alumina is referred to in the form alumine (see alumine n.)."

It's "Aluminum". :p

You're right. I went back and checked, and the OED does actually say exactly that. I missed it when I looked before. Having said that, this only proves that "aluminum" was the original spelling, not that it is the CORRECT spelling for everyone. The international standard is "aluminium". However, the American Chemical Society decided upon the name "aluminum". Therfore, I concede that "aluminum" is a correct spelling, as long as you're writing in an American context.

Fynn
05-04-2016, 02:11 PM
All you silly prescriptivist laymen, arguing over what is correct and what isn't, and I'm just here, sipping my descriptivist tea and eating popcorn because this stuff is just delightful :p

Loony BoB
05-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Typical Eastern European.

Fynn
05-04-2016, 02:37 PM
How's your winesoup cellar coming along, BoB?

Loony BoB
05-04-2016, 02:49 PM
You only play to my advantage with that topic, good sir. :D

Mr. Carnelian
05-04-2016, 05:56 PM
I actually agree that descriptivism is the way to go. I've let go of most of my prescriptivist urges, but sometimes it's tricky. When someone uses an apostrophe just to indicate a plural, for instance, it just sets me off on a prescriptivist rant.

Fynn
05-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Then you haven't let go enough just yet

Listen to Elsa, Mr. Carny

Mr. Carnelian
05-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Then you haven't let go enough just yet

Listen to Elsa, Mr. Carny

I'm in recovery.

You can't rush the process, Fynn. :p

Peter1986
05-20-2016, 02:02 AM
I realised a couple years ago that I have got more and more used to American English, most likely because the majority of the English-speaking movies I have watched in the last 20 years have been from America.
So recently I have started taking a look at the British vocabulary, and while I certainly recognise lots of the words ("car park", "bonnet", "anti-clockwise", "lift", "windscreen" etc), I have also learned many other words that I have hardly seen before, and some of them have been pretty interesting.
Apparently "subway" and "apartment building" are known as "tube/underground" and "block of flats" in Great Britain.

DMKA
05-20-2016, 03:43 AM
skah-jee-all

Aerith's Knight
05-20-2016, 08:08 AM
skah-jee-all

Only right answer.

Formalhaut
05-22-2016, 01:34 AM
screw-you-all

Madame Adequate
05-22-2016, 04:51 AM
skedj-oole

Mr. Carnelian
05-22-2016, 02:34 PM
ski-duel

Where two people ski down a slope carrying swords and fight to the death on the way down. If both reach the bottom alive, then both their lives are forfeit.

Værn
06-08-2016, 07:43 PM
The correct pronunciation is s-ched-ule. With a proper ch, as seen in chair or chalk. The ch is still a ch, and watching you people argue about whether we should ignore the c and pronounce it shedule or disregard the h and say scedule is enough to drive a man mad.

Formalhaut
06-08-2016, 07:48 PM
The correct pronunciation is s-ched-ule. With a proper ch, as seen in chair or chalk. The ch is still a ch, and watching you people argue about whether we should ignore the c and pronounce it shedule or disregard the h and say scedule is enough to drive a man mad.

Of course the next question is how to you pronounce Værn.

Fynn
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Well, if we go by what the IPA transcriptions tell us, /æ/is the "ash" vowel. So it'll be the same sound as in "cat", "fat" and "sat". So "Varn".

Ayen
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I have a hard time spelling out pronunciation of things, but I think it's s-KED-ule for me.